Bills improve to 5-2 w/ "boring" win (article)

BigDingus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!!! okay...shameful waiting for this team to faulter......

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-improve-5-2-another-200811041.html

I don't mind the "boring" part of it, but the problem I still have with this team is their struggle to do much with the takeaways they're gifted.

Eventually the turnovers will dry up, then what? We had 13 points off 4 turnovers today, with one being returned by the defense for a TD. So in other words, 6 points off 3 turnovers otherwise, which is up from last week when we had 3 turnovers for 3 points. Against the Bengals we forced 3 turnovers too, but which we had one nice drive for a TD, one 3 & out punt, and one FG. So 10 pts off turnovers, 6 pts otherwise.

Each week it seems like our defense is basically WILLING us to victory, practically gifting the offense chance after chance to put the game away. If our offense was better, we'd be blowing teams out of the water with all the turnovers we get, but too often we don't do enough with them. Half the time we are lucky to get FG's only due to the starting field position we're given off the turnovers. Had the offense started in their own territory, they'd be forced to punt.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, but we know the turnovers will eventually dry up. We know we'll face better teams where we can't afford to punt or kick FG's off turnovers. We started 5-1 in 2008 & 5-2 in 2011, finishing the seasons 7-9 & 6-10 from there. I see similar things happening that happened in those seasons. Hell, last year we started 4-2, and we know what happened from there. Tyrod has looked more like Trent Edwards than ever this season, just with the added ability to scramble. But Captain Checkdown seems to have returned, only this time our WR's are less talented than before.

If we can beat the Jets on national television this Thursday, that will relieve most of my fears. Though the Jets aren't some world-beater team, we have struggled mightily on nationally televised games in recent years, losing games we should've won. Just like the Bengals game showed signs of being a letdown game (after emotional wins against the Broncos & Falcons), the Jets TNF matchup seems that way too.

The Jets are playing better than they should be, and giving opponents more fits than anyone expected was possible. We beat them already, but this time we're in NY, and their offense is playing much better. If we win, going 6-2, I'll be convinced this team is different. If we lose, I expect similar results to those previous years of quick starts.

34-14 CONVINCING WIN!! gtfoh

I thought the game was rather exciting this week. Milano had a return for a TD and the running game is starting to click. Another W against a team we are trying to hold off for a playoff spot. I'll take that every week.

The Bills have scored 20 or more points in their last 13 home games. Goes back to the 2015 season. It's the longest streak of this type in the NFL.

No doubt there has been defensive contributions to the point totals, but if someone were to define "sustainable" for me, this streak would fit under that definition.

Your comparison of Tyrod to Trent Edwards is shameful. He may not throw for 300 yards a game but doing so doesn't make a QB a winner. He is doing exactly what is asked of him. To not turn it over and extend drives with his legs. He made some very good throws that extended drives today and his touchdown throw was beautiful. Buffalo doesn't need him to put up all the numbers because they have the run game and the defense. Tyrod has been smart as the QB. Comparing him to Edwards is simply lazy

Tyrod Taylor has the fifth most wins as a starting qb in Bill's history. Additionally, he is one of only six bills starters that has a winning record.

I agree, maybe we can cut the guy some slack.

Your comparison of Tyrod to Trent Edwards is shameful. He may not throw for 300 yards a game but doing so doesn't make a QB a winner. He is doing exactly what is asked of him. To not turn it over and extend drives with his legs. He made some very good throws that extended drives today and his touchdown throw was beautiful. Buffalo doesn't need him to put up all the numbers because they have the run game and the defense. Tyrod has been smart as the QB. Comparing him to Edwards is simply lazy

I'll take Tyrods 20-27 for 165 with a WIN over Deshaun Watson's 400-plus yard game with a loss any day of the week.

I heard a crazy-ass stat on the game today. Since he's been with the Bills, Tyrod has 56 TD's (combined passing and rushing) and just 14 turnovers. That's pretty damn sporty.

Edited by CLTbills

In order to see what they are doing well and non-doing-so-well will give an idea if it is sustainable.

Doing Very Well

- Running the Football

- Stopping the run

- Turnovers

- Avoid Turnovers

- Kicking (FG, Punts)

- Bend-But-Don't Break Passing game

Not Doing Very Well

- Moving the ball consistently on offense

- Giving up big chunks of yards to allow opponents to move up/down the field.

Some of the "Not Doing Very Well" is simply due to a lack of talent at the WR and CB position where injuries have taken a huge toll.

So when you see "Doing Very Well" is a long laundry list indicates to me that it is sustainable!