SS Edmund Fitzgerald

TSNBDSC

Cat from the Seinfeld reference in the Andrea Doria episode.

They played that song non-stop it seemed on Toronto and Hamilton radio back in the day, no within my 10 year old appreciation levels.

Edited by row_33

• 4 years later...

"... and farther below Lake Ontario takes in what lake Erie can send her."

Love that song and proudly sing that line every time I head it.  It's probably the only song I know of that mentions Lake Ontario or the region where I'm from originally.  (Rochester.)  

Apart from this song and "The Erie Canal", what other songs mention upstate NY?

7 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

have you been doing the Refs of the week thread?

I tried the first week, but I don't know what's going on with the board software, what was a simple copy/paste last year, gets all the formatting screwed up this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Arthur M. Anderson is still plying The Lakes... Anderson was the last vessel to make contact with The Fitz.

Wanna see where The Anderson is on the live AiS map... Just east of Alpena, Michigan at time of this post:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-83.0/centery:45.2/zoom:8

Looks like The Anderson is leaving The Lakes and heading to Marin, Spain for the winter... Origin was Drummond Island, Michigan...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Love that song and proudly sing that line every time I head it.  It's probably the only song I know of that mentions Lake Ontario or the region where I'm from originally.  (Rochester.)  

John Fogerty: "Rock and Roll Girls"

"...Hey, let's go all over the world
Rock and roll girls, rock and roll girls

Yeah, yeah, yeah

If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo
Sit by the lake and watch the world go by

Ladies in the sun, listenin' to the radio
Like flowers on the sand, a rainbow in my mind

Hey, let's go all over the world
Rock and roll girls, rock and roll girls..."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Trucking,up to Buffalo....

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

… Yeah, they're freezin' up in Buffalo stuck in their cars

And I'm lyin' here 'neath the sun and the stars…

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bad Things said:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bad Things said:

what other songs mention upstate NY?

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

17 hours ago, Bad Things said:

"Well I hear you went up to Saratoga
And your horse naturally won"

17 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Truckin' 

Buffalo Gals

Rev on the Redline (mentions Lake Avenue in Rochester)

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Amazing they have this tech.  Imagine if they had it in 1975!

Here is the Arthur M. Anderson's forecasted track to Spain:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-45.9/centery:45.7/zoom:2

The boat was built in 1952...Six years earlier than when the Edmund Fitzgerald (1958) was launched.

Thanks for the link.  I really like to see that Ontario/St Lawrence traffic.

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Arthur M. Anderson is still plying The Lakes... Anderson was the last vessel to make contact with The Fitz.

Wanna see where The Anderson is on the live AiS map... Just east of Alpena, Michigan at time of this post:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-83.0/centery:45.2/zoom:8

Looks like The Anderson is leaving The Lakes and heading to Marin, Spain for the winter... Origin was Drummond Island, Michigan...

How are you going to fit a 767' long boat through 7 of the 8 Welland Canal locks, and the locks on the St. Lawrence River, when said locks are only rated for a 740' length? 🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

How are you going to fit a 767' long boat through 7 of the 8 Welland Canal locks, and the locks on the St. Lawrence River, when said locks are only rated for a 740' length? 🤨

It was built only 647.  I guessed they lengthened it years ago so it can't leave.

Good question! Probably not.  That's gotta be a typo on AiS. I thought that seemed strange.   MarineTraffic is out of Cyprus I believe... SEE can't trust them! 😁

The Anderson is near Detroit near MARINE CITY, Michigan right now. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-82.483/centery:42.698/zoom:12

That's where it must have been headed to!!!

😆... It actually fit here first, we have a 1,000 foot lock... But draft/air draft is a real problem! 😉 

49 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for the link.  I really like to see that Ontario/St Lawrence traffic.

You won't 😆... It's stuck in the middle Lakes... SEE the cynic from Ridgeway's post... 😏 

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was built only 647.  I guessed they lengthened it years ago so it can't leave.

Good question! Probably not.  That's gotta be a typo on AiS. I thought that seemed strange.   MarineTraffic is out of Cyprus I believe... SEE can't trust them! 😁

The Anderson is near Detroit near MARINE CITY, Michigan right now. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-82.483/centery:42.698/zoom:12

That's where it must have been headed to!!!

😆... It actually fit here first, we have a 1,000 foot lock... But draft/air draft is a real problem! 😉 

You won't 😆... It's stuck in the middle Lakes... SEE the cynic from Ridgeway's post... 😏 

AIS destinations I believe are manually entered.  It's not unusual for a boat to show 'the barn' as the destination when heading for lay up.  Someone in the Anderson's pilothouse is having some fun.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

@Ridgewaycynic2013... Here's the date it was lengthened... Strange it was 1975 and it survived the 11/10 storm:

"...Arthur M. Anderson's sea trials commenced on 7 August 1952, and she loaded her first cargo at the Two Harbors dock on 12 August 1952. She received several refits in her life including the addition of a new 120-foot (37 m) midsection in 1975 which added about 6,000 tons to her gross tonnage, bringing the total to about 26,000 tons. ..."

Yet!... Anderson was lengthened to longer than Edmund Fitzgerald (729') but could carry less:

"...She is unique among the three Great Lakes Fleet steamships in that she has a softer midsection that prohibits loading as much cargo as the others; roughly 1500 tons less. ..."

There's a theory that I read that the Fitzgerald may have scraped bottom before the storm. 

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

AIS destinations I believe are manually entered.  It's not unusual for a boat to show 'the barn' as the destination when heading for lay up.

Why is it listing Marin, Spain?  Same input code for: Marine City, Michigan?

Check it again... Click on it.  Shows Spain!  Even the forecasted track has it going through locks it can't fit into! 🙃

21 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

AIS destinations I believe are manually entered.  It's not unusual for a boat to show 'the barn' as the destination when heading for lay up.  Someone in the Anderson's pilothouse is having some fun.

Good catch! Now @ 729' the Fitz would have fit through... But then again these are Lake Boats made for Lake waves... Superstructure/wheelhouse is fore/bow, not aft/stern like the salties!  May they even go in the ocean, are they fitted for salt even if they could fit through Seaway specs?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Saratoga is really New England! Just make a left turn heading south. Practically Vermont.  You don't still call Vermont part of New York... 😉😜

Signed,

/UpstateRabbleRouser

As usual, you have no ***** idea what you're talking about.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Saratoga is really New England! Just make a left turn heading south. Practically Vermont.  You don't still call Vermont part of New York... 😉😜

Signed,

/UpstateRabbleRouser

What the

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Good catch! Now @ 729' the Fitz would have fit through... But then again these are Lake Boats made for Lake waves... Superstructure/wheelhouse is fore/bow, not aft/stern like the salties!  May they even go in the ocean, are they fitted for salt even if they could fit through Seaway specs?

No, I had started to compose a reply saying that the hull would have had to had strengthening beams welded in, and this was rendered moot by her excess length.  Even the Canadian newbuilds coming from China and eastern Europe had steel bracing welded into them for the ocean legs of their trips, with the steel being removed once they arrived at the lakes.

A boat of the Anderson's age and design will not go to Europe or Asia under power, it will be towed unstaffed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No, I had started to compose a reply saying that the hull would have had to had strengthening beams welded in, and this was rendered moot by her excess length.  Even the Canadian newbuilds coming from China and eastern Europe had steel bracing welded into them for the ocean legs of their trips, with the steel being removed once they arrived at the lakes.

A boat of the Anderson's age and design will not go to Europe or Asia under power, it will be towed unstaffed.

I double checked, double take the Spain thing.  Being so old... I thought they may have taking it out of service for good.

Since destination is input at pilothouse,  other AiS programs must show the same,  no... Marin, Spain and Marine City, Michigan... Are similar!  Goes to show you not to count on technology!

20 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Woodstock songs, but none really mention New York.

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

lol

hey umm. 

if you live in the Midwest…. Why are you in the Central Time Zone?

Because the Midwest is near the center of population?

t1larg.census.us.median.map.jpg

😛

Just now, Poleshifter said:

Woodstock songs, but none really mention New York.

Too close to Downstate.   In the "Buffer Zone" like Saratoga.  😏 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.