NFL.com: Gregg Rosenthal's QB Index

Correct. He had the ball to do it against Carolina. He had to ball to do it against the Bengals. Couldn't get it done. Not all on him... that is true. But eventually he has to make it happen despite the circumstance.

Do we ignore that the team was driving against Carolina and then the ridiculous OPI penalty killed their momentum and ultimately the drive? This was posted before the Bucs game but he came through there.

That describes Tyrod perfectly. He is not in the top tier of NFL QBs, we all know that. But he fits in with a bunch of other guys just outside the top tier and its hard to separate them because they all have different skill sets and completely different offenses built around them.

Absolutely.

I will even say their is really only 4 guys in Big Ben, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees imo. The rest can be streaky, do some incredible things, do some terrible things, and don't separate from the pack. Look at Matt Ryan this year. 3 fumbles on snaps losing 2 this week? Last year on fire. Cam in 2015 on fire, since meh. Derek Carr last year on fire, this year struggling. Alex Smith plays Tyrod level until this year then gets hot.

Ok. 3 comebacks / 4 game winning drives.

In 2.3 seasons.

Why not look at the last four games when late Fourth Quarter drives were needed?

Tampa Bay : Taylor leads the Bills on a 75yd drive resulting in a TD with 2:28 on the clock. That sets up the game winning FG moments later

Cincinnati : Not a keeper, TT-scrapbook-wise

Carolina : Taylor leads the Bills to the 33, despite a dubious OPI call. A chance for a game winning TD pass into the endzone on 4th & 11 is lost by an overwhelmed rookie's lack of ball awareness

Miami : Leading the Bills back from 14pts down the third time, Taylor throws a TD pass on 4th down to take the lead with 1:20 on the clock.

Of course you'll say the Bills didn't win the Miami or Carolina games, which is fair enough. But if we're asking if Taylor can be clutch in last minute situations, why not just ask it?

How did he look the last four times in that position? Pretty good three times out of four.

Edited by grb

So, now Im a child?

👌

Ok. 3 comebacks / 4 game winning drives.

In 2.3 seasons.

😁

Through Nov 22 of last year only two QBs had more than five (5) 4th quarter comebacks over 2 seasons: Carr and Stafford with 8.

So TT having 3 comebacks over 2.3 seasons is in line with majority of league over approx a 2yr span.

How many comebacks do you expect him to have over 2.3 years? 10? 12?

Most 4th Quarter Comeback wins over the last 2 seasons@RAIDERS Derek Carr: 8@Lions Matthew Stafford: 8

No other QB has more than 5

Per the nfl on Nov 22 last yr

Edited by bobobonators

Who dragged this from the grave?

Jeeze now I have to look and see to what context I wrote it.

We have seen an improvement now lets see it repeated over and over.

Experiencing déjà vu?

The feeling you're reliving something from the past - maybe again & again & again?

Welcome to the Great Tyrod Message Board War............

Through Nov 22 of last year only two QBs had more than five (5) 4th quarter comebacks over 2 seasons: Carr and Stafford with 8.

So TT having 3 comebacks over 2.3 seasons is in line with majority of league over approx a 2yr span.

How many comebacks do you expect him to have over 2.3 years? 10? 12?

Most 4th Quarter Comeback wins over the last 2 seasons@RAIDERS Derek Carr: 8@Lions Matthew Stafford: 8

No other QB has more than 5

Per the nfl on Nov 22 last yr

Channeling the tweeter-in-chief: Stafford and Carr are heroes because they allowed their teams to fall behind and then needed 4th quarter drives to pull out a win. I prefer QBs who protect the ball so they don't need to make 4th quarter comebacks.

Why not look at the last four games when late Fourth Quarter drives were needed?

Tampa Bay : Taylor leads the Bills on a 75yd drive resulting in a TD with 2:28 on the clock. That sets up the game winning FG moments later

Carolina : Taylor leads the Bills to the 33, despite a dubious OPI call. A chance for a game winning TD pass into the endzone on 4th & 11 is lost by an overwhelmed rookie's lack of ball awareness

Miami : Leading the Bills back from 14pts down the third time, Taylor throws a TD pass on 4th down to take the lead with 1:20 on the clock.

Of course you'll say the Bills didn't win the Miami or Carolina games, which is fair enough. But if we're asking if Taylor can be clutch in last minute situations, why not just ask it?

How did he look the last four times in that position? Pretty good three times out of four.

Against Tampa he deserves credit. The throw in Carolina was inaccurate. Yes Zay seemed to confuse the route but the ball was inaccurate. Against Miami he had the ball twice more in overtime and couldn't get it done.

The Tampa game was a step forward in that regard. But he is 1 for 4.

Against Tampa he deserves credit. The throw in Carolina was inaccurate. Yes Zay seemed to confuse the route but the ball was inaccurate. Against Miami he had the ball twice more in overtime and couldn't get it done.

The Tampa game was a step forward in that regard. But he is 1 for 4.

If he ran the right route the throw was right on the money. All of the Bills players were consoling him after the game. And the next couple days. It very likely wasn't for dropping the ball. It was for blowing the play a few different ways. He ran the wrong route and he didn't track the ball well in the air. It was a good if not great pass.

Yea Zay wasn't aware of how terrible of a pass was going to be coming his way lol

I'm glad we're winning but Tyrod has some of the worst ball placement of any starting QB in the league. We have some great athletes on this team and if he could just hit 50% of his receivers in stride we'd be undefeated right now.

Yea Zay wasn't aware of how terrible of a pass was going to be coming his way lol

I'm glad we're winning but Tyrod has some of the worst ball placement of any starting QB in the league. We have some great athletes on this team and if he could just hit 50% of his receivers in stride we'd be undefeated right now.

who are these great athletes you are referring to

who are these great athletes you are referring to

Thompson, McCoy, Clay (who's hurt currently), Thomas, Jones, Holmes. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't actually watch football. I mean Tyrod forced Holmes to make a tip toe sideline catch... when he was WIDE OPEN. Completely uncontested. If the ball was thrown properly, much like the Carolina game, that's a touchdown. Just watch the way receivers have to catch the ball, even when the ball is complete, and then watch a Chiefs game, or Brady, or Rodgers or any of the guys considered franchise QBs. I mean, Green Bay is proof that Rodgers isn't working with the best receivers in the game, he MAKES them good with precise passing.

IMO the 4 you mention are the only ones really completely worth the money they are paid. You mention the rest are streaky, I question if it's more a factor of many of these guys are being paid like top elite franchise QB's but can't carry a team on their own.

With the big $$ they are getting not enough money left over to pay enough others to keep the team really great. Russell Wilson won on his rookie contracts, Cam just resigned the year they went to the SB. Even Rodgers only SB win was at the beginning of contract #2. Since he's made the really big $$, the Packers have more losses than wins in playoffs.

The only guy to defy these rules is Brady who has taken less money than he could command. Helps when your wife makes more than you do. He's just playing for gas money!

I will even say their is really only 4 guys in Big Ben, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees imo. The rest can be streaky, do some incredible things, do some terrible things, and don't separate from the pack. Look at Matt Ryan this year. 3 fumbles on snaps losing 2 this week? Last year on fire. Cam in 2015 on fire, since meh. Derek Carr last year on fire, this year struggling. Alex Smith plays Tyrod level until this year then gets hot.

IMO the 4 you mention are the only ones really completely worth the money they are paid. You mention the rest are streaky, I question if it's more a factor of many of these guys are being paid like top elite franchise QB's but can't carry a team on their own.

With the big $$ they are getting not enough money left over to pay enough others to keep the team really great. Russell Wilson won on his rookie contracts, Cam just resigned the year they went to the SB. Even Rodgers only SB win was at the beginning of contract #2. Since he's made the really big $$, the Packers have more losses than wins in playoffs.

The only guy to defy these rules is Brady who has taken less money than he could command. Helps when your wife makes more than you do. He's just playing for gas money!

absolutely agree with everything you say here. I also attribute a lot of the patriots success to Brady taking below market deals to increase the talent level around him. If teams want to emulate their success it starts there imo

Really? You actually need me explain it to you, very slowly and simply?

(1) The problem with Jones' last play vs Carolina wasn't failing to make the catch, which would have been extremely difficult given his goofy play on the ball.

(2) Nor was the problem simply Jones' route, though it was bad if the play was a front pylon route, and hideously bad if a back pylon route.

(3) I presume the former, which meant Jones' route cheated a little to the outside and Taylor's throw a little to the inside.

(4) But Taylor's throw led the play away from coverage and into the endzone. Jones' route was out of bounds and crowding the cornerback. But that wasn't the major problem either.

(5) The problem was Jones didn't have a freak'n clue where the ball was until it was almost over his head. Yeah, run a flat out to the sidelines, turn, and you expect the ball to hit your hands. But receivers who run forty or fifty yards downfield don't assume that luxury. In the pros or college - or even damn high school - they're expected to get their head back and track the ball. Jones did everything wrong, was forced into a panicked twisted play on the ball, and still had it graze thru his hands. Locate the ball a bit sooner and his adjustment would have been microscopic; it would have looked effortless as he swept in for the score. Watkins would make that catch ten times out of ten. Any experienced receiver would. You don't even have to assume Taylor was throwing to the ideal spot, though that's certainly the way it appeared. Jones needs to know where the ball is before it's right on top of him.

Edited by grb

Thompson, McCoy, Clay (who's hurt currently), Thomas, Jones, Holmes. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't actually watch football. I mean Tyrod forced Holmes to make a tip toe sideline catch... when he was WIDE OPEN. Completely uncontested. If the ball was thrown properly, much like the Carolina game, that's a touchdown. Just watch the way receivers have to catch the ball, even when the ball is complete, and then watch a Chiefs game, or Brady, or Rodgers or any of the guys considered franchise QBs. I mean, Green Bay is proof that Rodgers isn't working with the best receivers in the game, he MAKES them good with precise passing.

Perhaps you missed the defender in the corner of the endzone? Using the play to Holmes is ridiculous because it was on the money. Unless you are talking about Holmes being wide open in the middle of the endzone when Taylor was leaving the pocket already. Yeah a few elite guys have better ball placement. Huge news flash there.

post-26967-0-63315900-1509601735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scott7975

absolutely agree with everything you say here. I also attribute a lot of the patriots success to Brady taking below market deals to increase the talent level around him. If teams want to emulate their success it starts there imo

Not to mention taking money under the table... or you know side business with Kraft.

If he ran the right route the throw was right on the money. All of the Bills players were consoling him after the game. And the next couple days. It very likely wasn't for dropping the ball. It was for blowing the play a few different ways. He ran the wrong route and he didn't track the ball well in the air. It was a good if not great pass.

I don't disagree Zay ran the route badly. But the throw was not right where it needed to be.

Perhaps you missed the defender in the corner of the endzone? Using the play to Holmes is ridiculous because it was on the money. Unless you are talking about Holmes being wide open in the middle of the endzone when Taylor was leaving the pocket already. Yeah a few elite guys have better ball placement. Huge news flash there.

I think he might have been referring to the one where Holmes appeared to be all alone, wide open down the sideline later on in the game.

When Taylor made a second's move in the pocket, that corresponded to Holmes being open on the middle of the back baseline. If Taylor hadn't made that move, there would have been an earlier & simpler throw at that moment. It's a bizarre thing to crow about, but whatever......

I think he might have been referring to the one where Holmes appeared to be all alone, wide open down the sideline later on in the game.

Tyrod was late on that throw. It looked to me like he was about to tuck and run and saw Holmes late and decided to throw it and he threw off a shortened wind up motion (shows his arm strength to still be high).

Another example I think of a small step. Not inconcieveable that Tyrod would have tucked and run in previous years. Seeing it and throwing it late is better than running for 8 yards rather than hitting a big play.

Really? You actually need me explain it to you, very slowly and simply?

(1) The problem with Jones' last play vs Carolina wasn't failing to make the catch, which would have been extremely difficult given his goofy play on the ball.

(2) Nor was the problem simply Jones' route, though it was bad if the play was a front pylon route, and hideously bad if a back pylon route.

(3) I presume the former, which meant Jones' route cheated a little to the outside and Taylor's throw a little to the inside.

(4) But Taylor's throw led the play away from coverage and into the endzone. Jones' route was out of bounds and crowding the cornerback. But that wasn't the major problem either.

(5) The problem was Jones didn't have a freak'n clue where the ball was until it was almost over his head. Yeah, run a flat out to the sidelines, turn, and you expect the ball to hit your hands. But receivers who run forty or fifty yards downfield don't assume that luxury. In the pros or college - or even damn high school - they're expected to get their head back and track the ball. Jones did everything wrong, was forced into a panicked twisted play on the ball, and still had it graze thru his hands. Locate the ball a bit sooner and his adjustment would have been microscopic; it would have looked effortless as he swept in for the score. Watkins would make that catch ten times out of ten. Any experienced receiver would. You don't even have to assume Taylor was throwing to the ideal spot, though that's certainly the way it appeared. Jones needs to know where the ball is before it's right on top of him.

Yup.

We are not allowed to blame TT for these things ;);)

I think it was 60-40 on Zay. But to claim the ball was "right where it needed to be".... I just can't look at that play and see how that is the case. Zay is out of his break when Tyrod throws it.

EDIT: I'll leave it there though.... no need to rehash week 2's arguments. We are on to the Jets.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think it was 60-40 on Zay. But to claim the ball was "right where it needed to be".... I just can't look at that play and see how that is the case. Zay is out of his break when Tyrod throws it.

EDIT: I'll leave it there though.... no need to rehash week 2's arguments. We are on to the Jets.

That's the Champions of Taylor for you.

I posted 4 different images of Zay having to dive for the ball on what the CoT'ers call catchable balls.

Funny thing is the person never ever replied to say he was wrong. I reposted the quote 3 times to make sure he saw it too.

On to the NYETS

I posted 4 different images of Zay having to dive for the ball on what the CoT'ers call catchable balls.

Uh huh. Again : If Jones had the slightest clue where the pass was no one would have even noticed the tweak to his (bad) route which and the resulting TD would have been flawless. To produce his "dive for the ball", Jones had to take a stutter step and jump straight up. With just a trace of ball awareness he could have ran it through and the pass would have dropped over his left shoulder. But he was so late tracking the pass his reaction was panicked; he actually slowed to jump. Did you really not see that?

Uh huh. Again : If Jones had the slightest clue where the pass was no one would have even noticed the tweak to his (bad) route which and the resulting TD would have been flawless. To produce his "dive for the ball", Jones had to take a stutter step and jump straight up. With just a trace of ball awareness he could have ran it through and the pass would have dropped over his left shoulder. But he was so late tracking the pass his reaction was panicked; he actually slowed to jump. Did you really not see that?

please explain 3 for 3 Sunday make that 4/4 Zay caught one pass that was OOB (not his fault)

Oh and per ESPN Zay was 3 for 5. the 5th was because Tyrod threw the ball away and Zay just happened to be the closest Bill to the ball 5 to 10 yards away.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

please explain 3 for 3 Sunday make that 4/4 Zay caught one pass that was OOB (not his fault)

Oh and per ESPN Zay was 3 for 5. the 5th was because Tyrod threw the ball away and Zay just happened to be the closest Bill to the ball 5 to 10 yards away.

Really ?!? Is this a Cult of Zay thing? Please understand : I have nothing against Mr. Jones, who I'm sure is becoming a fine and accomplished receiver. All I did was describe what happened on one play, and that after only someone said I was mistaken about the play. You're welcome to put in your two cents too. I'm sure ZJ won't mind.

Edited by grb

Really ?!? Is this a Cult of Zay thing? Please understand : I have nothing against Mr. Jones, who I'm sure is becoming a fine and accomplished receiver. All I did was describe what happened on one play, and that after only someone said I was mistaken about the play. You're welcome to put in your two cents too. I'm sure ZJ won't mind.

As did I. But this is not just one play.

My point earlier was that I said Zay had to leap and or dive for some passes. I was told Zay never had to do that. The pictures I posted showed that he did.

Zay started of BAD, he did Very Good Sunday. 4/4 was impressive compared to earlier weeks.

As did I. But this is not just one play.

My point earlier was that I said Zay had to leap and or dive for some passes. I was told Zay never had to do that. The pictures I posted showed that he did.

Zay started of BAD, he did Very Good Sunday. 4/4 was impressive compared to earlier weeks.

so you were being difficult just for the sake of it i'm assuming? the nice ball tyrod tossed over his shoulder to him in the ATL game should have 100% been caught even though he had to stretch out for it. it was a drive killer on 3rd down at the end of the first half and the falcons proceeded to march down the field and score before halftime. I see what you're doing. you are arguing just for the sake of it. but just becuz a receiver has to stretch out for a ball doesn't mean it excuses the freaking blatant drop.

sunday was good to see. but isn't it a little sad that anyone has to pump up the fact that he finally had a game where he didn't drop any passes? come on man.

Edited by Stank_Nasty