Bills Sign WR Philly Brown and Two Safeties

Some of us felt that this team could win 10-11 games coming into the preseason........

Break it down for us. 11 wins. Assume we sweep Fish (without Tannehill) and Jets. Where are your other seven wins?

Browns is 5.

Break it down. From your view coming into the preaseason. Where do the other wins come from?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another ill-conceived take from JohnC.

Degree of decisiveness.......even if you KNEW that........means nothing.

Terry Pegula was totally, 100% smitten with and sold on Rex Ryan.......that's what decisiveness is worth.

As for the cost/benefit........the cost has been offensive production.........which cost them a game in Carolina and has turned them into punchless pass offense that has no margin for error.

Some of us felt that this team could win 10-11 games coming into the preseason........the only holes were depth positions.....it's a very old team that must win now.........but then they dealt Watkins and the passing game is a mess.

Watkins is EXACTLY what they need.

I've been all-in on Watkins.

When Goff throws to him he's great.

But it's a matchup league and Todd Gurley running away from a LB?...........yeah........that's the throw they want Goff to make.

Rams offense is impressive.

Another rambling set of non-sequiturs used as your incoherent response. It's a fact that McDermott decisively made the decision or was involved with the decision not to sign Watkins's option. What were the reasons? I'm sure they were a variety of factors related to salary, durability and belief in the player's commitment to his program. Your response regarding Pegula's commitment to Rex is nonsensical. I'll give you some slack if your response was given when you weren't sufficiently sober.

With respect to your belief before the season that this was an 11 win team in a win now mode is also off the mark. McDermott was handed the keys to the franchise with unlimited authority for the expressed purpose of rebuilding it. The front office and roster is dramatically changed if you haven't noticed! You may have believed that this was a contending team at the start (and never stated it) but no one else did. In fact your turn around position is a bogus position because you didn't express that same glorious optimism when he took over. As it stands there is a lot of giddy optimism because of the good start but don't be surprised if this speeding bus slows down as the season advances. I still don't consider this a playoff team.

You have this tendency to praise yourself for after the fact results. Your view on Watkins isn't as brilliant and illuminating as you tout them to be because most fair-minded people acknowledged the fact that Watkins was a supreme talent. Your constant self-congratulations on things that are obvious are getting tiresome.

I'm happy for Watkins. I'm hoping that he succeeds in LA or wherever he decides to play. But that doesn't change the fact that McDermott without any equivocation didn't want him here. He wasn't in the plans so the franchise got what they could for him. You disagree with that decision while I understand it.

I'm waiting for your next rambling non-sequitur response on this topic that has nothing to do what has been said.

In Buffalo, Watkins would be getting targets.

Wasn't he complaining about lack of targets just last year?

By the way, I agree that he'd help. That's a no-brainer. The Bills WRs are bad. But the Bills' secondary was playing lights out in no small part to to Gaines and they have a good pick next year. I can't fault the Bills for getting something for a guy they were unsure of, and who was likely to walk, and who they must have identified as someone who was not buying into the culture. Given Sammy's known complaining, head shaking, and sometimes questionable work ethic, I understand why they let him go. They'd probably have done the same to Dareus (who is similarly talented but maybe not a culture fit to this new regime) if his contract wasn't such an albatross.

Another rambling set of non-sequiturs used as your incoherent response.

I'm waiting for your next rambling non-sequitur response on this topic that has nothing to do what has been said.

I agree with your post, but why do the two of you have to insult each other. Can't you just disagree on the topic?

Edited by BeginnersMind

Shamarko!!!! One of my favorite Orangemen ever. He is all heart and will make a difference on ST.

No one worked harder at SU than ShamWow.

I also never saw someone have more concussions than he did throwing his body all over the field every game. I hope his CTE is in check and he has a safer tackling technique now.

But didn't they cut him because he had stone hands?

No.

By the way, I agree that he'd help. That's a no-brainer. The Bills WRs are bad. But the Bills' secondary was playing lights out in no small part to to Gaines and they have a good pick next year. I can't fault the Bills for getting something for a guy they were unsure of, and who was likely to walk, and who they must have identified as someone who was not buying into the culture. Given Sammy's known complaining, head shaking, and sometimes questionable work ethic, I understand why they let him go.

No. It was 2015. Very overblown as well. Not really a big deal. You make an awful lot of assumptions about Watkins and his " work ethic" etc. it's easy to rationalize away such moves with slogans and cliches such as " culture" buying in and the like. The move was made primarily about money. One mistake ( the 5th year option) compounded another. I still hate the move, and will until they get a WR of equal ability. That may not even happen, and will almost certainly cost more draft capital. Money shouldn't take precedence over keeping quality talent. Especially on a team with no huge contract at QB and a dearth of offensive stars. Time will tell, but I didn't like the move and still do not.

By the way, I agree that he'd help. That's a no-brainer. The Bills WRs are bad. But the Bills' secondary was playing lights out in no small part to to Gaines and they have a good pick next year. I can't fault the Bills for getting something for a guy they were unsure of, and who was likely to walk, and who they must have identified as someone who was not buying into the culture. Given Sammy's known complaining, head shaking, and sometimes questionable work ethic, I understand why they let him go. They'd probably have done the same to Dareus (who is similarly talented but maybe not a culture fit to this new regime) if his contract wasn't such an albatross.

I agree with your post, but why do the two of you have to insult each other. Can't you just disagree on the topic?

I'm not insulting anyone. Badol is a self-anointed guru who needs to constantly administer a large dose of sun block because he is exposed to his own intense brilliance. Badol gives and he takes. He can handle the brush backs. There is nothing personal to the duels. He is like everyone else here who posts. Sometimes he makes sense and sometimes he doesn't.

I think we should see what Jerry Rice is up to.

So, just to throw a slightly more recent name out there:

Would folks prefer that the Bills kicked the tires on Stevie Johnson (Mr. Ad Hoc route runner with questionable ability to fit into this scheme an provide reasonable downfield blocking to support run game)?

Or, Philly Brown, who is familiar with the role he will have to fill with the current Bills system?

Please don't laugh-off the question... I expect people may be split on whether they'd bring in Stevie.... but I'm just using this as an example (you could substitute another name for Johnson in the comparison above).

Edited by pablopbb

No. It was 2015. Very overblown as well. Not really a big deal. You make an awful lot of assumptions about Watkins and his " work ethic" etc. it's easy to rationalize away such moves with slogans and cliches such as " culture" buying in and the like. The move was made primarily about money. One mistake ( the 5th year option) compounded another. I still hate the move, and will until they get a WR of equal ability. That may not even happen, and will almost certainly cost more draft capital. Money shouldn't take precedence over keeping quality talent. Especially on a team with no huge contract at QB and a dearth of offensive stars. Time will tell, but I didn't like the move and still do not.

Cap management is a huge part of football. Gilmores current salary is the same as the Bills entire secondary.

Cap management has been the Pats strength for a long time. They have a lot of no name Smart role guys and just a few highly paid stars. Overpaying for a good but not incredible receiver is a bad decision. (Dareus says hello)

Break it down for us. 11 wins. Assume we sweep Fish (without Tannehill) and Jets. Where are your other seven wins?

Browns is 5.

Break it down. From your view coming into the preaseason. Where do the other wins come from?

So beyond your irrational blaming of Tim Graham for all things wrong........your only other contribution to the board is an annual thread where you admonish people for projecting records based on the obviously, time-testedly ill-conceived notion of perceived difficulty of the schedule.

And you want me to break down how I projected the season on a game by game basis?

Sounds kinda' dumb coming from you, does it not?

My projection was based on this being a very experienced roster with good front-line personnel and scheme fits on defense and an improving QB leading an offense with it's OL returning intact that was likely to get a boost from the return of their top WR healthy and entering his walk year......along the benefits of getting new coaches......specifically opponents not having tape on the new systems.

That's it. If they were healthy they stood a good chance of seeing an uptick. When Doug Whaley said "7-9.....not good enough" he was right........this team has had playoff talent for a number of years.........and while the overall base and depth has been diminished this year there was still enough and the fact that they are mostly motivated veterans is very important in a league where practice time is at a minimum.

No.

Code of ethics we signed on for here.

Read the fine print please/S

So beyond your irrational blaming of Tim Graham for all things wrong........your only other contribution to the board is an annual thread where you admonish people for projecting records based on the obviously, time-testedly ill-conceived notion of perceived difficulty of the schedule.

And you want me to break down how I projected the season on a game by game basis?

Sounds kinda' dumb coming from you, does it not?

My projection was based on this being a very experienced roster with good front-line personnel and scheme fits on defense and an improving QB leading an offense with it's OL returning intact that was likely to get a boost from the return of their top WR healthy and entering his walk year......along the benefits of getting new coaches......specifically opponents not having tape on the new systems.

That's it. If they were healthy they stood a good chance of seeing an uptick. When Doug Whaley said "7-9.....not good enough" he was right........this team has had playoff talent for a number of years.........and while the overall base and depth has been diminished this year there was still enough and the fact that they are mostly motivated veterans is very important in a league where practice time is at a minimum.

Damn, dude. Your manbun too tight or what?

All I did was ask where you saw the 11 wins. That's all. Your need to bash me is a little over the top.

I made the mistake of thinking you based that number on, y'know, looking at the 16 games and identifying 11 wins.

My bad. I'll refrain from asking you any more questions.

Except that's not how you've been framing it during the offseason. If memory serves me right, you doubted McDermott's ability to be a good coach from the start, and claimed that the only reason Bills were overpaying the veterans was to prevent a locker room revolt. But none of that would translate to success on the field.

Because?

Jauron

Except that's not how you've been framing it during the offseason. If memory serves me right, you doubted McDermott's ability to be a good coach from the start, and claimed that the only reason Bills were overpaying the veterans was to prevent a locker room revolt. But none of that would translate to success on the field.

Because?

Jauron

It's called revisionism. For some people the past is very malleable when brought up in the present.

Because?

Jauron

You're hung up on the idea that you have to be 100% in or 100% out on the organizational direction.

The reality, as Bill Belichick has said, is that it's HARD to stay bad in the NFL........you almost have to be making one bad decision after the next to remain bad for a long period of time..........so even many bad decisions do not preclude you from some measure of success.

I liked some things about McDermott.........others I did not.

I liked the roster he inherited a lot more than some..........including Tyrod Taylor, who he apparently wavered on........and Watkins and MG who he felt he didn't need.

I was the first proponent on TSW of signing Micah Hyde................was also the only person on TSW to call Tre'Davious White the top CB in the class prior to the draft.

But if you use your rationale........everything I have done is to frame McDermott as a certain failure.........it's not the case.

If you actually read the post I started comparing what McDermott was trying to do to what Jauron was trying to do...........I was right.........it's been Jauron-Ball.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing to start with........Jauron initially straightened up a sloppy ship that Mularkey left behind by simplifying and trying to create synergy with the talent he had ...........and in his first ever game he nearly upset the Patriots in Gillette then came out and beat the Dolphins in week two.

But you want to perceive it as me "framing" McDermott as a certain failure just because Jauron couldn't up HIS game.

Time will tell........but the comparisons were obviously spot on....and done at a time when most felt what McD was actually trying to do was tank.

So, just to throw a slightly more recent name out there:

Would folks prefer that the Bills kicked the tires on Stevie Johnson (Mr. Ad Hoc route runner with questionable ability to fit into this scheme an provide reasonable downfield blocking to support run game)?

Or, Philly Brown, who is familiar with the role he will have to fill with the current Bills system?

Please don't laugh-off the question... I expect people may be split on whether they'd bring in Stevie.... but I'm just using this as an example (you could substitute another name for Johnson in the comparison above).

Problem with Stevie is two fold - he tends not to keep in shape and the Ad Hoc route running which burned Revis many times also makes it difficult to hook up with QBs who do not understand him and his deltas. We had a QB who did but Stevie was a backup who practiced with our backup QB when they learned to be in sync and I do not see it happening with TT on short notice. Plus is stunts which put him in dog house with McD.

Put more sugar in that Limeaid. B-)

Sorry limes were added when McD dropped good coaches and scouts just to clean house.

That has been my only objection to McD since beginning.

He did not do the same with Lammy and Darby but waited until after training camp to determine if they could fit.

Immediately our starting slot receiver (#3 on the depth chart).

with this injury he has moved up to our second slot guy. Congrats Philly

they may not be game ready. Also, if you move to 53 man roster you need to keep them on there for 3 games (or they are guaranteed 3 game checks at least). In this case that makes sense with Matthews time frame. But if you need to move them off when Matthews is back, you have to waive them and you risk them getting claimed by another team. You can't just move guys back and forth to the PS. If there isn't a lot of difference between philly and Reilly (or Dupree) at this stage, better to sign the FA if they don't want to risk the developmental player.

i get it but i really am glad kaelin clay and whoever else has a safe position on this team. if reilly was that good. i dont even blink on a clay or other cutting. hell bramdon tate isnt untouchable. taiwan jones is here for something. do it. whybnot just use powell for the 3 weeks then. i just dont get it. i have probably hated or not agreed with every trade or acquisition but i cant question it until it stops working. you know what i mean?

LOL Zay is a reception monster in NCAA for years and fights the ball in the NFL for a couple games and all of a sudden he has bad hands. Recency bias much?

Kid caught 399 balls in college. He doesn't have bad hands. To use hockey terminology, he's gripping the stick too tight right now

he is legit a slot guy the way the game is played now he would still be an impact starter. he just would run different routes i think his issue is he wasnt really relied on to track the ball in the air.he is for slants and comeback sit down routes. he is NOT an outside guy. problem is we traded for a better slot guy... right now... so zay is miscast. just my 2s