Got a lead, lost a lead

I enjoyed yesterday's win as much as anyone. I also enjoyed yesterday's Pats loss A LOT.

With that said, yesterday wasn't all good news. We entered the day with a distinct advantage against the Pats in tiebreaker scenarios. We exited the day in a flat footed tie with them. Our win against Atlanta was impressive and I think it bodes well for the Bills. But a win against an NFC team hurts when it comes to breaking ties. It is only week four so I don't want to make a big deal but NE had a bad win against NO earlier in the year which when coupled with our loss to the Panthers gave us an edge. Yesterday erased that because NE's NFC loss helps them.

The good news is that they are a division team so we have a chance to sweep them. If not, we could split and then sweep the Jets and Dolphins and be at least tied with them. Before yesterday we would have won a tie breaker, now it would move on to another metric. Still, it is better that the Pats lost to the Panthers than say when the Steelers lost to the Bears last week. That one hurt. The Chiefs losing to the Skins tonight might seem bad but it doesn't really matter that much as we play the Chiefs head to head. We don't play the Steelers so we are behind them. I hope they win their division.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I've heard we've lost a 3rd Round Comp pick at least.

And, if we finish with a better record than The Chiefs, it'll be like having four 2nd round picks instead of two 1st and two 2nds.

ANY day the Pats*** lose is a good day.

Boy, you really gotta search the books to be pessimistic enough to find a negative about beating an elite team in their own house.

You know what's more impkrtant than tie breakers? Wins.

But, you know, you can't please all of the people all of the time, or maybe can't please the OP ever.

I enjoyed yesterday's win as much as anyone. I also enjoyed yesterday's Pats loss A LOT.

With that said, yesterday wasn't all good news. We entered the day with a distinct advantage against the Pats in tiebreaker scenarios. We exited the day in a flat footed tie with them. Our win against Atlanta was impressive and I think it bodes well for the Bills. But a win against an NFC team hurts when it comes to breaking ties. It is only week four so I don't want to make a big deal but NE had a bad win against NO earlier in the year which when coupled with our loss to the Panthers gave us an edge. Yesterday erased that because NE's NFC loss helps them.

The good news is that they are a division team so we have a chance to sweep them. If not, we could split and then sweep the Jets and Dolphins and be at least tied with them. Before yesterday we would have won a tie breaker, now it would move on to another metric. Still, it is better that the Pats lost to the Panthers than say when the Steelers lost to the Bears last week. That one hurt. The Chiefs losing to the Skins tonight might seem bad but it doesn't really matter that much as we play the Chiefs head to head. We don't play the Steelers so we are behind them. I hope they win their division.

This is dumb. Before yesterday we would have won the tiebreaker? Well after yesterday there IS NO NEED FOR A TIEBREAKER. What should we do, intentionally lose? Would that make you happier?

Not many would pick out the bad news to talk about after beating the defending NFC champs, and favorite to return to the SB, in THEIR building.

This is like the 10th time someone has started this thread in the last 2 years...getting a little old no?

This is dumb. Before yesterday we would have won the tiebreaker? Well after yesterday there IS NO NEED FOR A TIEBREAKER. What should we do, intentionally lose? Would that make you happier?

The fact is that in a 16 game season in a league with 32 teams ties are all but inevitable and that is just math. I don't have time at the moment but I will bet if you look back at last year's final standings, there is a team that lost a tiebreaker and a division title or WC spot because they had too many victories against the opposite conference.

The fact is that in a 16 game season in a league with 32 teams ties are all but inevitable and that is just math. I don't have time at the moment but I will bet if you look back at last year's final standings, there is a team that lost a tiebreaker and a division title or WC spot because they had too many victories against the opposite conference.

You can only lose the tie breaker if you have the win.

This isn't theoretical physics. Sure, it would be better to beat a conference team, but losing can NEVER help you. Seriously, think about it. If that team you spoke of had not won the game in question, they would not even be in the running to use the tiebreaker.

Enough of this haberdashery.