Taylor -- 106.7 rating today

3-1! I hope half of you lost $$ today. The other 25% are besides themselves because they cant stomach TT and the Bills beating Matt Ryan and the Falcons. IN ATLANTA.

The remaining 25% of us will continue enjoying this weekend. WOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT

THIS!,Heheh

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been honestly surprised the last two weeks.

Seeing Rick Dennison's offense in the preseason and the first two games, I was convinced he was going to force Tyrod into his pocket passer scheme. But our OC has made the necessary adjustments. We are seeing more shotgun snaps. We are seeing more roll-outs. We are seeing more designed runs for Tyrod.

For the first time in a decade, our schemes are matching the personnel on BOTH sides of the ball. If this keeps up, we may be a playoff team after all.

I've been honestly surprised the last two weeks.

Seeing Rick Dennison's offense in the preseason and the first two games, I was convinced he was going to force Tyrod into his pocket passer scheme. But our OC has made the necessary adjustments. We are seeing more shotgun snaps. We are seeing more roll-outs. We are seeing more designed runs for Tyrod.

For the first time in a decade, our schemes are matching the personnel on BOTH sides of the ball. If this keeps up, we may be a playoff team after all.

Under 300 yards offense the last 3 games and we are extolling this exciting juggernaut????

A few things are little differences. He throws to the middle more. He uses his TE and RB more in the pass game than in the past. He is methodically getting yardage and chains moved rather than the big play down the sidelines. Receivers are getting more yards after the catch. Those last two is likely more of a scheme difference than a Tyrod difference though. The biggest difference is that this offense is not getting carried by McCoy. Although they are trying to get Tolbert to carry this offense.

His attempts are actually down this year so far. Wish they wouldn't go into a shell so early. The offense has moved when they are throwing on first down. Not so much when they don't. I don't think there are as many 3 and outs thus far, but that could be just me. Seems to me his drives are spread out rather than just at the end of the game after a horrid half of football for the most part.

The results of his stats might be about the same but he is getting those stats differently this year.

I guess it just depends who you talk to when discussing noticeable differences. I dont think I was ever part of the group of people constantly criticizing the middle of the field thing. I did however get on him about bailing from pockets too early to take off and run.

As far as using the TE and RB more, I think that came with the scheme change.

Im not complaining or trying to crtiticize Tyrod for his play. Ive been fine with him for the most part. I just dont see this big evolution as a passer.

I guess it just depends who you talk to when discussing noticeable differences. I dont think I was ever part of the group of people constantly criticizing the middle of the field thing. I did however get on him about bailing from pockets too early to take off and run.

As far as using the TE and RB more, I think that came with the scheme change.

Im not complaining or trying to crtiticize Tyrod for his play. Ive been fine with him for the most part. I just dont see this big evolution as a passer.

No he isn't having a big evolution as a passer. Just wanted to show some subtle differences.

Tyrod played a good Tyrod type of game. What we got today is about all we can expect from him on one of his good days.

Many factors came together today leading to the win; Tyrod's QB play isn't in the top 5 in terms of importance or relevance to the victory.

I think people need to start second-guessing this. It's like the general assumption is that if you have a great passing QB, any coach will automatically call a pass-centric offense.

I just don't think that's true.

Defensive coaches want to run the football to control the clock and they want to protect the football. It's a cliché because it's generally very true and I think that much became very clear when McDermott just decided to run run run once we got the lead. One, I suppose, could argue that he did it because he didn't trust his QB enough to move. For those saying it, the proof is in the choice itself.

But I think if you watch the way Taylor is throwing the football while protecting it, you'd realize that's probably not the case, or at least certainly not most of the case.

Taylor has been making some really big-time throws this year and seems quite capable of moving the football through the air. I really think saying he's one of the 5 best QBs so far in 2017 is a little far out there simply because of the amount other QBs are throwing the football. But I do think Taylor is really pretty relevant and critical to McDermott and all these wins and saying Taylor is a top 10 QB in 2017 so far is quite reasonable.

Taylor was only good today because Clay was great. If you take out Clay's performance, Taylor was abysmal today.

Interesting take.

Without Taylor, how does Clay get the football? Particularly on that long bomb with Taylor on the run from a collapsed pocket chucking the ball 50 yards in the air while rolling to his right?

Interesting take.

Without Taylor, how does Clay get the football? Particularly on that long bomb with Taylor on the run from a collapsed pocket chucking the ball 50 yards in the air while rolling to his right?

WITH Taylor, how does Clay usually get the football? Answer: he doesn't. So clearly, Clay had a monster game covering for the usual errors that Taylor makes.

Really, all I'm asking is credit be given where due. Clay made Taylor look good. Without Clay, Taylor goes 7 for 15 for about 80 yards, which is horrible even by Taylor's usually awful standard.

For Taylor to throw for more yards, the D would likely have to play worse so we have to play from behind. I'd rather not have that scenario.

But if the defense played worse, we'd have better field position and the offense would be better.

WITH Taylor, how does Clay usually get the football? Answer: he doesn't. So clearly, Clay had a monster game covering for the usual errors that Taylor makes.

Really, all I'm asking is credit be given where due. Clay made Taylor look good. Without Clay, Taylor goes 7 for 15 for about 80 yards, which is horrible even by Taylor's usually awful standard.

But if the defense played worse, we'd have better field position and the offense would be better.

Disagree.

Tom, I regretfully have to correct your stats here. For Taylor's true net passing numbers, you have to deduct rushing yards as they signify a missed opportunity to throw. Deduct his 12 yards rushing and you get a dismal 68 yards!

12-20 for 182 yards today. If Clay doesn't have a stellar game Taylor is 7-15 for less than 80 yards. There is no other way to put it: that is just awful, awful QB play. Stop crediting Taylor with Clay's stellar performance.

Are you being satirical?

The sad thing is that what I was posting was indistinguishable from a lot of the crap posted on the board.

I was actually mocking the practice of "If you ignore all the good stuff, everything sucks" attitude. "Barry Sanders broke a few long runs; if you ignore those, he had a bad day."

Good... glad you were being satirical :thumbsup:

Disagree.

Doesn't matter. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Taylor's "production" yesterday was entirely due to Clay's performance. You take out Clay's performance, and Taylor was unbelievably bad. That's a fact.

Tom, I regretfully have to correct your stats here. For Taylor's true net passing numbers, you have to deduct rushing yards as they signify a missed opportunity to throw. Deduct his 12 yards rushing and you get a dismal 68 yards!

Of course, you also have to deduct "plays left on the field" - and then it turns out - mathematically - that Atlanta won the game after all....

No doubt the Commissioner will soon issue a ruling.....

Doesn't matter. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Taylor's "production" yesterday was entirely due to Clay's performance. You take out Clay's performance, and Taylor was unbelievably bad. That's a fact.

...LMAO...now THERE'S a real objective analysis...the kid is making steady improvements but a QB still gets drafted in the 2018 1st.....as long as he plays pedestrian and gets the "W", what the hell is your problem?......Jesus this place is BBMB deja vu, that dreaded hole of refugees like me that showed up here only to read yips like this.....a fact my twin cheeks..........

That's because I'm basically parroting stupid **** I've read here before.

I'm honestly surprised no one's agreed with me.

...LMAO...now THERE'S a real objective analysis...the kid is making steady improvements but a QB still gets drafted in the 2018 1st.....as long as he plays pedestrian and gets the "W", what the hell is your problem?......Jesus this place is BBMB deja vu, that dreaded hole of refugees like me that showed up here only to read yips like this.....a fact my twin cheeks..........

Looks like you nabbed another one!

Matthews out with injury.

Powell released after suspension.

Zay has the dropsies.

WR Clay and Tyrod seem to be off a bit.

Damn...who is going catch now other than TE Clay?

Anyway, I don't see how Tyrod can stay so consistant without some more options. Are we looking to pick someone up or just promote from the practice squad?

Can you possibly deny that, without Clay's performance, Taylor sucked yesterday?

Huh? Taylor has 5 TDs and one INT. Ryan has 5 TDs and 5 INTs.

Or did you mean going into this game?

What's funny about that is I first saw that stat after the game on Twitter. Then I went to ESPN stats, just because it was the first one that came up on the google search. And I made sure that the stats I looked at were from four games and not three. And the first two I saw were definitively four games. So I just assumed it had been updated. And that's what they showed. In retrospect maybe they were in the middle of updating the stats.

That's because I'm basically parroting stupid **** I've read here before.

I'm honestly surprised no one's agreed with me.

Yes I realize that. I say your good because I couldn't tell you were doing that. Totally took you as serious. Not once but twice.

I am surprised as well.

You fellow old timers can probably recall message boards reading just like this from 1999. Just substitute "Doug Flutie" for "Tyrod Taylor". I've been making the point for a while now that they're very similar in what they bring. Both short. Both extremely athletic and elusive. Both pretty good passers but not elite. Both focused on good down and distance, moving the chains, protect the ball.

The difference is that Flutie actually had a lot better offensive weapons to work with. Eric Moulds and Andre Reed and Peerless Price. Thurman Thomas and Antowain Smith. Much better O line. And the defense still had Bruce Smith and Ted Washington.

Taylor is winning with a very good D line, which is making the LBs and DBs look better than they probably are, an O line that hasn't figured out its blocking schemes yet, a great RB, a good TE, and the worst starting WRs we've had in a generation.

Another big difference: Flutie was 37 in 1999, at the tail end of his career. Taylor is in his prime years as an NFL QB.

Also -- In 1999, the Bills didn't have a single game with 300 yards passing.

Enjoy the ride. Taylor will continue to show he's very good but not elite. He'll miss some critical plays, and you can choose either to remember those or the excellent plays he makes including some no other QB can make.