Taylor -- 106.7 rating today

He's 10th in passer rating. 11th in yards per attempt. And 9th in completion percentage. With the worst WR corps in the league, a ton of drops, little running game, barely decent protection, and against four good defenses.

Sometimes I wonder if even I am underrating Tyrod.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. This has to be the most absurd take I've ever seen on this board - which is saying a lot. Are we to go around the NFL and subtract the passes from every quarterback to his favorite target, or is just another one of those special Tyrod Rules? Or is this just more trolling?

Hes trolling the ubsurd takes on here. He forgot to itallicize. DC Tom is pretty cool and level headed and does not blame the qb for everything like some do. So just an fyi.

Yeesh. If we're really splitting hairs like that, then I meant in general that the NFC champs don't lose at home every week...not that the Bills or any single team for that matter beats them. C'mon now.

The only thing that matters when it comes to points is that you ultimately score more than the other team. Which we did. Again.

I'm not completely buying the idea at this point that we need to put up 40 at will because there's going to be a week where we need to hang with the Pats or Saints or whatever in a shootout. This defense is for real, so therefore, all that matters is more points. 3-1.

Ultimately, yes. However I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Bills offense might need a big passing day or a big running day or to score 3 or 4 touchdowns. The odds are for it. The D has played very well, but don't think that no Julio and no Sanu didn't have an impact on the game. Thinking that they can hang/ win in every game this way is fools gold. Turnovers and the like can dry up after awhile. The league isn't known for soccer type scores and points will be needed. Doesn't change the current record at all.

Ultimately, yes. However I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Bills offense might need a big passing day or a big running day or to score 3 or 4 touchdowns. The odds are for it. The D has played very well, but don't think that no Julio and no Sanu didn't have an impact on the game. Thinking that they can hang/ win in every game this way is fools gold. Turnovers and the like can dry up after awhile. The league isn't known for soccer type scores and points will be needed. Doesn't change the current record at all.

And don't think that our defense didn't have any impact on Julio and Sano being out of the game. Are we assuming that their injuries are simply luck? This secondary hits people.

It is ironic that you bring up the falcons losing their top receivers for the second half. As you may be aware, the Bills have no good wide receivers to begin with.

Edited by dave mcbride

Ultimately, yes. However I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Bills offense might need a big passing day or a big running day or to score 3 or 4 touchdowns. The odds are for it. The D has played very well, but don't think that no Julio and no Sanu didn't have an impact on the game

How can losing the best receiver in the game be an excuse for Atlanta, but our offense not having good receivers isn't an excuse for us? I think our wideouts were about on par with theirs today. Tyrod simply outplayed Matt Ryan.

How can losing the best receiver in the game be an excuse for Atlanta, but our offense not having good receivers isn't an excuse for us? I think our wideouts were about on par with theirs today. Tyrod simply outplayed Matt Ryan.

For the season, TT has four TDs and one INT. Ryan has four TDs and three INTs.

New offense. New blocking schemes. 3-1. Ill worry about the need 4 passing touchdown game when it actually happens. So far so good.

Edited by Billsmovinup

Its not fair that Matty Ice doesnt have Julio Jones to throw to. But when we need to bring in bums from the street next week just so we have enough WR to play the game, the same excuses wont be applied to Tyrod.

For the season, TT has four TDs and one INT. Ryan has four TDs and three INTs.

This is where someone would normally say "well Matt Ryan is asked to do more than Tyrod." But is he? He has incredible talent around him and a good offensive line. Clearly the better running game right now. I think Ryan has more manageable downs and distances. Tyrod is consistently put in 3rd and long situations and doing pretty well with them. Ryan has more total pass attempts but is that enough to say he has more responsibility than Tyrod?

I follow Cian Fahey on Twitter and his whole thing is that grading QBs against each other is impossible. They're playing in completely different systems. I don't remember the exact numbers but he mentioned some crazy stat where Winston threw something like 20 passes that travel 10-19 yards last Sunday alone, while Alex Smith has thrown 2 of those passes all season long. Is Alex Smith better than Jamie's Winston? Does Winston run a harder offense? When people speak in certainties like "I would take 20 QBs over Tyrod" these are the kinds of questions I think about. I think there's more of a gray area there than people realize. And it's hard to find QBs that even exist in that gray area! Which is why I've always thought it was nuts to cast out Tyrod and pray on a high draft choice.

I think, as Kelly stated above, getting TT on those boots early on has really helped the outside pass rush immensely. He looked good in the pocket today, especially at the end of the game, and I'm not taking anything away from him.

For sure, the play actions and bootlegs are things I wanted to see a lot of from the very beginning. Tyrod does really well when they are called.

Then you are either 1) Blind or 2) Jaded

Or perhaps both

Teams aren't blitzing him as much - They are trying to contain him within the pocket. He is passing out of that pocket successfully when given time to throw.

Notice he isn't ripping off big runs between the tackles this year out of shotgun. He isn't bailing out of pockets as early or as often as he did in previous years. It is plain as freaking day. You aren't paying attention.

What evidence is there that Tyrod is hitting open receivers more this year? Is there even such a stat or metric? That was the first thing you brought up when talking about this super noticeable difference.

Do you have the numbers for how many times Tyrod has been blitzed so far this year compared to previous years? Interested in seeing those stats.

For what its worth, he is averaging more runs per game this year than his 2 previous years. His yards per rush are significantly down however.

Edited by Bangarang

Nope 3 weeks in a row and under 300 yards total total offense....... A great win, but can't keep winning with so little O.

And I want to see some offense and believe in TT.

Why?

Not sure why people need to build him up into something he is not.

He Wins!

The team has had to be perfect in every way..... And they have. They too have gotten every break necessary and great for them.

The problem is they've been beaten in yards every game (save the Jets) and they will need offense eventually.

Replay went in their favour as did injuries and frankly bad play calling by Atlanta.

Would be real nice to have Watkins still......

Yeah, well then ,who or what would we have to give back ?

And would we be 3-1 if had?

Where I always am. Thinking tyrod has a ceiling of average. Today's game didn't change that. But hey how about that amazing performance by Watkins this week eh?

Hahaha...............A. H. O. A C!

I've always believed Tyrod Taylor limited his TO's by sacrificing plays on the field. I do believe he's been doing less of that lately. He's taking more of what's out there (even those there's less of it because LOL our WR's).

True,and that's because he hasn't reached his maturation yet!

But he's getting there!

What is he doing now thats noticeably different from anything weve seen the last 2 years? The only thing thats different to me is he has a good defense to back him up.

I dont deny that. Ive always maintained that Tyrod was good enough to win games with if he had a solid supporting cast. The defense is keeping us in games and Tyrod doesnt have to do a lot.

A few things are little differences. He throws to the middle more. He uses his TE and RB more in the pass game than in the past. He is methodically getting yardage and chains moved rather than the big play down the sidelines. Receivers are getting more yards after the catch. Those last two is likely more of a scheme difference than a Tyrod difference though. The biggest difference is that this offense is not getting carried by McCoy. Although they are trying to get Tolbert to carry this offense.

His attempts are actually down this year so far. Wish they wouldn't go into a shell so early. The offense has moved when they are throwing on first down. Not so much when they don't. I don't think there are as many 3 and outs thus far, but that could be just me. Seems to me his drives are spread out rather than just at the end of the game after a horrid half of football for the most part.

The results of his stats might be about the same but he is getting those stats differently this year.

12-20 for 182 yards today. If Clay doesn't have a stellar game Taylor is 7-15 for less than 80 yards. There is no other way to put it: that is just awful, awful QB play. Stop crediting Taylor with Clay's stellar performance.

Taylor still threw Clay the ball. I don't understand your line of thinking at all. Its not like Clay was making circus catches and bailing Tyrod out of terrible throws.

Edited by Scott7975

And he STILL left a number of plays on the field. His TD pass was his best play of the season though.

He did.

But he's playing smarter football this year; I'll give him that.

We're only 4 games in, and I'm far from sold (Fitz ruined me), but I think he's made some nice improvements between last year and this year.

He's had two very good starts .. albeit, he's got the best defense in the league backing him up.

If I was optimistic, which I'm not, I'd be very cautiously optimistic.

The sad thing is that what I was posting was indistinguishable from a lot of the crap posted on the board.

I was actually mocking the practice of "If you ignore all the good stuff, everything sucks" attitude. "Barry Sanders broke a few long runs; if you ignore those, he had a bad day."

Jesus. Nm my previous comment. Well done sarcasm man. I usually pick up on that stuff.

Well, no as you don't usually play the NFC champs every week in a the NFL. Passing yardage is considered to be important because all the rules in the passing game have been engineered to favor the offense and passing QBs. While a win is always preferable , many QBs manage to throw for such yardage without tossing up 3 ints. Scoring points is more important than passing yardage in the end, and the Bills offense has a way to go with this compared to the past couple seasons. Not turning the ball over is big, but the points are an issue right now.

Well you aren't going to get passing yards when you average 24 throws per game. It is not Taylor that puts the team in a shell with a 1 score lead every week. It is not Taylor that bangs Tolbert up the middle to milk clock early 3rd quarter. When Taylor has been called upon he has moved the ball.

Taylor, in his last 7 games started for Buffalo (the Pitt game last year), has 11TD's and 2 turnovers.; (two different O/coordinators too and a completely different WR group)

What an abomination Rex Ryan was to this team the last 2 seasons.

Yeah,But also remember Rex is the reason TT is here!

Using the receiver excuse. We don't even have starters on our team as good as those two receivers and one of our starting receivers left the game too. When someone here tries to say Taylor has no one to throw too we get the "QB makes the receiver."

Taylor has played well. He doesn't get the benefit of having Julio and Sanu. He has Holmes and stone hands Zay.

I've always believed Tyrod Taylor limited his TO's by sacrificing plays on the field. I do believe he's been doing less of that lately. He's taking more of what's out there (even those there's less of it because LOL our WR's).

No question.......but I think that most of his cautiousness has been the realization that he would have been yanked and buried on the bench if he turned the ball over like a lot of guys with early round pedigrees/hype are allowed to.

That feeling was pretty much confirmed with the cold treatment he got last offseason wrt picking up his option after a season where he lead the offense to the 7th highest scoring total and fewest turnovers in the NFL since the merger thru 15 games.

I think if you give him playmakers though........he's proven he can absolutely go off.........he just isn't going to make a lot of those same throws to the scrubs the Bills have been marching out at WR most of the past two seasons.

Edited by #BADOL

Yes a win.... Still concerned that this offense really can't do anything or moreso, an OC that doesn't want to allow them.

Haha,You do know there's something wrong with you right!

Whats your point?

Good Chance We're Playoff Bound!

Taylor was only good today because Clay was great. If you take out Clay's performance, Taylor was abysmal today.

We got Tom Brady in the house Yall!

What's wrong with crediting players with their performance? Clay had a monster day, and was responsible for making Taylor look moderately ****ty, instead of the completely ****ty that he was. Why is it so hard to see this?

Unbelievable!

How is it possible getting 62,000 plus post Trolling?

Lmao. We just beat the !@#$ing Atlanta Falcons and half of you are pining for more passing yards from our QB.

What a miserable group.

In case you didn't notice they scored one offensive TD. In another game they scored none. Yes more passing yards and more points period. Fans can be happy with the win and have reason for concern. The playoffs may be possible, and odds are the team will have to play much better on offense in upcoming games to put up W's.