rams better than us?

nuklz2594

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everyone obsessing over their cap situation the Rams project to have $62m in space in 2018 and have a number of high priced contracts (Quinn, Broeckers, Barron, Austin) all of whom have BIG cap numbers and are no longer key pieces for this regime. To get rid of those 4 would clear over $45m in additional space for a cost of about $9m in dead cap.

It comes down to Goff. If he is the guy they are set for the next decade and have another 2 years after this with him at a very reasonable price.

Their cap position is at least as good as ours if not better.

For everyone obsessing over their cap situation the Rams project to have $62m in space in 2018 and have a number of high priced contracts (Quinn, Broeckers, Barron, Austin) all of whom have BIG cap numbers and are no longer key pieces for this regime. To get rid of those 4 would clear over $45m in additional space for a cost of about $9m in dead cap.

It comes down to Goff. If he is the guy they are set for the next decade and have another 2 years after this with him at a very reasonable price.

Their cap position is at least as good as ours if not better.

I guess...? They have a DT who will hold out, their top CB, top WR, and starting MLB are all UFAs. They have cap room, but not a ton of picks and only 1 tag to guarantee keeping any of them.

The players who are "high priced and no longer key pieces" don't have talented depth ready to step in because they've spent so many picks to acquire players. So cutting them just creates holes. Quinn and Brockers are both still very good, and i wouldn't want to lose both barron and ogletree. That's like the entire guts of the defense.

Overall Yes.

They already tanked after dumping bradford in 2015. Then Drafted their rookie in 2016. They're essentially on year 3, and we're on year 1. So they should be better...?

They're bringing in talent and vets, we're shedding them for picks.

The difficulty in paying Donald is he wants money up front as in NOW. They all do when contract time comes round. He wants a signing bonus he can collect up front even if they spread it for cap purposes. But the Rams are very tight to the cap this year. They will work out a deal next offseason without too many problems.

Quinn and Broeckers are 4-3 D linemen who frankly haven't played up to the value of their contracts the past couple of years. I'd have no issue cutting either of them if I was Les Snead. Barron I think is hugely overpaid. He was paid to be their star safety and failed so has been moved to linebacker. He is a hybrid being paid like he is Ed Reed. Austin is a waste of space.

That is easily enough room to pay Donald, franchise or pay Sammy and pay either Johnson or Ogletree whoever they feel they need more.

They have 9 draft picks currently in 2018. Now admittedly 5 of those are in rounds 6 and 7 but I expect they will go defense heavy in the early rounds and patch with some low end FAs.

I really like their cap position and their chance of being good for a while if Goff is even an Andy Dalton level guy. And that is why you should not keep punting at Quarterback because even if all you find is an Andy Dalton you get a window of his rookie deal and the first couple of years of his 1st major contract to put a team around him.

That's funny...the Bills scored more than 17 points in 12 of the 15 games Taylor played last year.

And When our D gives up more then 20 points how many wins do we have with Taylor? If our D gave up 39 points, no way we win a game with Taylor. Good teams find ways to win. Rams O has made big improvements and the team could be on the rise.

my concern is that things will get worse before they get better. i do not see kyle williams playing next season. huge locker room guy. tyrod nope. we draft a rookie qb or maybe pick up alex smith? shady and/or dareus gone? incognito is getting older. just saying...this will be an interesting season and off season.

The difficulty in paying Donald is he wants money up front as in NOW. They all do when contract time comes round. He wants a signing bonus he can collect up front even if they spread it for cap purposes. But the Rams are very tight to the cap this year. They will work out a deal next offseason without too many problems.

Quinn and Broeckers are 4-3 D linemen who frankly haven't played up to the value of their contracts the past couple of years. I'd have no issue cutting either of them if I was Les Snead. Barron I think is hugely overpaid. He was paid to be their star safety and failed so has been moved to linebacker. He is a hybrid being paid like he is Ed Reed. Austin is a waste of space.

That is easily enough room to pay Donald, franchise or pay Sammy and pay either Johnson or Ogletree whoever they feel they need more.

They have 9 draft picks currently in 2018. Now admittedly 5 of those are in rounds 6 and 7 but I expect they will go defense heavy in the early rounds and patch with some low end FAs.

I really like their cap position and their chance of being good for a while if Goff is even an Andy Dalton level guy. And that is why you should not keep punting at Quarterback because even if all you find is an Andy Dalton you get a window of his rookie deal and the first couple of years of his 1st major contract to put a team around him.

This plan would basically have them punting their realistic chances to 2019. They wouldn't have a defense next year and only 2 draft picks in the top 100 to make up for it. Tavon Austin for sure is gone but I wouldn't bet on the others. Even if Goff is great they'll start to look like the Saints before long. I don't know how they plan on fitting Sammy onto the team long-term to be honest.

Whitworth was a huge pickup for them. Other than him, like the Bills O-Line better and TE. They have talented receivers. How good their offense is will depend on Goff and his development.

Their defense can be run on but it's a fast defense with a lot of talent. Like the Bills safeties and D-Ends better. LBs are a draw...

Woods is a solid player but not a star...he got paid a lot of money to be that. Sammy Watkins will probably have a big year as he looks to get a long term deal this offseason but still think Bills Fans will be happy with the trade long term.

Overall their final records should be close but its a long season.

This plan would basically have them punting their realistic chances to 2019. They wouldn't have a defense next year and only 2 draft picks in the top 100 to make up for it. Tavon Austin for sure is gone but I wouldn't bet on the others. Even if Goff is great they'll start to look like the Saints before long. I don't know how they plan on fitting Sammy onto the team long-term to be honest.

It really wouldn't. It would mean their holes on defense are:

- corner

- 3-4 NT

- ILB

- 3-4 OLB

It comes back to the Badol theory. Two of these (ILB and NT) are not positions that cost big $$s in FA. They could easily find a Zach Brown type in FA. There are not that many teams looking for 3-4 run stuffing NTs. Find an OLB and a corner with their first 2 picks let one of the best DCs in the history of the game coach them up and their D will be ready to go.

Maybe Bills fans find some comfort in a team that has taken 3 of our players and one out best position coaches being behind us on the curve... but if Goff is legit - and that is not proven yet - their window to end their playoff drought is the next 3 or 4 years.

my concern is that things will get worse before they get better. i do not see kyle williams playing next season. huge locker room guy. tyrod nope. we draft a rookie qb or maybe pick up alex smith? shady and/or dareus gone? incognito is getting older. just saying...this will be an interesting season and off season.

Sounds like spinning wheels again.

The Bills did upgrade their line to improve the run game, and to a large extent have designed the offense to Taylor's strengths. It improved the run game but not the passing game, which is no doubt why this staff has seemingly decided to remake the offense next season.

That's completely wrong since TT started as the 3rd string long shot QB when tc began in 2015.

Try again. Actually dont, jus take the L. Only good OL brought in was Incognito then drafting john miller. A RG and LG signed before the starting QB had won a camp battle is fact.

Overall Yes.

Especially at OC. If we had a better OC were sitting good at 2 - 0.

That's completely wrong since TT started as the 3rd string long shot QB when tc began in 2015.

Try again. Actually dont, jus take the L. Only good OL brought in was Incognito then drafting john miller. A RG and LG signed before the starting QB had won a camp battle is fact.

Ryan personally brought Taylor in and it was a pretty safe bet he was going to be the favorite going in. Remember, it was well known the FO had decided to give Ryan a ton of leeway regarding personnel. Traded for McCoy to bolster the run game, along with the aforementioned Incognito. Drafted Miller with their second pick, already had Wood and Glenn. How is that not building the offense around Taylor?

You can quibble if you want about whether or not he was meant to be starter from the get go, but the results pretty much bear it out.

And When our D gives up more then 20 points how many wins do we have with Taylor? If our D gave up 39 points, no way we win a game with Taylor. Good teams find ways to win. Rams O has made big improvements and the team could be on the rise.

How many wins do we have with this WR corp? How many if McCoy goes down with no backup? This offense is not built for shootouts.

Ryan personally brought Taylor in and it was a pretty safe bet he was going to be the favorite going in. Remember, it was well known the FO had decided to give Ryan a ton of leeway regarding personnel. Traded for McCoy to bolster the run game, along with the aforementioned Incognito. Drafted Miller with their second pick, already had Wood and Glenn. How is that not building the offense around Taylor?

You can quibble if you want about whether or not he was meant to be starter from the get go, but the results pretty much bear it out.

Built it around Taylor with those players? McCoy and Incognito were here before Taylor. They drafted Miller because they needed to get better on Oline. Other players were already here. I wouldn't say they got any of the players you mentioned to specifically build around Taylor.

Built it around Taylor with those players? McCoy and Incognito were here before Taylor. They drafted Miller because they needed to get better on Oline. Other players were already here. I wouldn't say they got any of the players you mentioned to specifically build around Taylor.

I don't think the actual dates matter. Is it really that hard to believe that Ryan knew he was going with Taylor, went out and got him while retooling the oline and getting a stud RB in an effort to build an offense that would suit him? Because that's exactly what happened.

I don't think the actual dates matter. Is it really that hard to believe that Ryan knew he was going with Taylor, went out and got him while retooling the oline and getting a stud RB in an effort to build an offense that would suit him? Because that's exactly what happened.

And the offense worked. Too bad his defense didn't in too many big games.

I though it was OK. Very strong rush, average/below average pass, good in points. Would have been nice to pull out a few of the closer games though. The defense was certainly disappointing.

And Ryan's game day coaching. Below average IMO. I think we have better now.

Yes it would be really hard to believe a coach started building a specific offense around a specific QB they didn't even have yet. It would be really hard to believe he knew he was going to start a QB they did not have yet. Maybe this coaching staff made all of their moves to design the offense around Hoyer.

Edited by Scott7975

Yes it would be really hard to believe a coach started building a specific offense around a specific QB they didn't even have yet. It would be really hard to believe he knew he was going to start a QB they did not have yet. Maybe this coaching staff made all of their moves to design the offense around Hoyer.

You can believe what you want. I stand by my theory because it dovetails with what actually happened.

And Ryan's game day coaching. Below average IMO. I think we have better now.

It stems from IMO too much pride in his scheme and not enough ability to diagnose and fix in-game issues. It's not like he didn't have the pieces, just couldn't adjust them properly to fit.

You can believe what you want. I stand by my theory because it dovetails with what actually happened.

Well you can believe what you want too. It just makes no sense that they designed an offensive gameplan, traded for shady, and got Incognito because of Tyrod who they didn't have yet. It makes more sense that they got Shady because he is an elite running back and Rex Ryan/Greg Roman are known for wanting to run the hell out of the ball. It makes more sense that they got Incognito and Miller because they needed and still need Oline upgrades. It makes more sense that the offensive gameplan was the offensive gameplan because that is what Roman has used for his entire career.

Goff is the difference. Tyrod had Sammy and Woods last year along with McCoy and it was wasted on him. I've got 1 more crappy performance from him before I flush the optimism I have for him down the toilet.

TT has very good numbers when Watkins and Woods are on the field. 2015 Watkins had very good numbers. 2016 Watkins missed a lot of time. Both years the offense put up a lot of points. We now have a bottom five WR group.

Of course the Rams are better than us... brilliant offensive mind as HC, high draft pick RB, young developing franchise QB, two newly acquired WRs off a bad passing team, and the best front four in football.

They may be right now, but there is no reason why we can't get there as well.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

Of course the Rams are better than us... brilliant offensive mind as HC, high draft pick RB, young developing franchise QB, two newly acquired WRs off a bad passing team, and the best front four in football.

They may be right now, but there is no reason why we can't get there as well.

Their defense looks suspect.

Except they dont. They drafted john miller and picked up j cognito bc our oline with pears and the other turnstiles was terrible. Thats not building around taylor that's addressing the obvious weaknesses of the offense, especially after bringing in a back like McCoy. So your storyline is actually more about building a line around McCoy to run through since Rexs philosiphy is ground n pound. Plus everyone in the media was pushing for Cassel except for the fans. Tyrod wasnt even in the serious QB convo until preseason.

are the rams better the biils? head to head on every position?

Goff looks light years better than last year already...we will see if he can maintain it, but if so, they could be one of the surprise offensive teams in the league this year...Great OC as head coach with loads of skill position lpayers.

Edited by matter2003

How many wins do we have with this WR corp? How many if McCoy goes down with no backup? This offense is not built for shootouts.

My question has to do with the entire time Taylor has been our QB?

Well never know what we got with these WRs as long as Taylor is playing QB. Its part of the reason we let Woods go and never picked up Sammys 5th year option, and then traded him. Sammy had injury issues but the production hasnt been what we envisioned when on the field. You can say the same about Clay and Woods. With only 2 games under his belt in Buffalo I bet Matthews is under yearly his avaerage also, but that has nothing to do with Taylor right?

Edited by BananaB

Lol...and you know this how from watching 2 games from both staffs?

Pretty much. I know what I see. I'd take the Rams staff and roster over that of the Bills, and I'd suspect many would agree with that assessment. They appear to have the pieces required for success more so than the Bills do.

Edited by Boatdrinks