Howard and Jeremy amateur hour

BLZFAN4LIFE

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'FNX was a legendary station. I'm jealous.

Sure was. I was there not at the end, but during the initial death throes. Steve Mindich held on as long as he could. I'm pretty sure FNX was the very last independently owned alternative rock station in a major US market.

I wasn't a staple on air or anything, but I did a few things trying to work my way up while also working on the street team. This was the early 2000s when satellite radio was cranking up, conglomerates were buying stations left and right, and career prospects in terrestrial radio went from bad to worse. After a few years I bailed for things like health insurance and getting married. I don't regret it, but I do miss it.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but apart from Murphy's sponsored content, I like all of the shows.

Some people want extensive X's and O's football talk...well that would make for very boring listening and turn away the majority of us. Some people want only football, others only hockey... you can't please everyone. If you don't like the shows don't listen.

I listen to Howard and Jeremy here and there. I don't think Howard is that bad, seems like his role is keeping the show moving forward and making statements that open up the floor for responses. Jeremy gets a little self-righteous and condescending at times. Schopp and the Bulldog are rough. I've heard them hang up on callers just because they disagreed and one time Schopp cut some kid off for "taking a shot at his guy." The caller said he had called into talk with Howard and Jeremy, Jeremy disagreed with his take and the kid mentioned that to Schopp and as he was talking Schopp suddenly jumped in and ended the call like, "Nah, you can't take a shot at my guy and expect me to listen to you." It was a little ridiculous.

I try to understand the position these dudes are in. Most of the calls they get are pretty bad from people who really don't have a very good opinion so it's natural that they disagree and get frustrated. What gets old is that whenever they are met with a caller who has a decent take, they get flustered by it and instead of debating they just keep pushing their own points.

It is what it is, whatever. I actually don't mind Murph and DJ because you know what to expect with them. Yeah, Murph wears on you with the company line stuff but DJ has good insight when it comes to on the field stuff and will share some good insider stories now and then.

yep Jeremy and Schopp need to go imo. get some people that know football in there. is that really asking too much?

yep Jeremy and Schopp need to go imo. get some people that know football in there. is that really asking too much?

I don't understand the "does not know football" comment. Explain that to me. Give me some examples of what you mean.

He readily admits he was never a coach etc, but he does start to spot trends and problems before most.

8 games into TT career, he was calling out the lack of throws over the middle, lack of anticipation throws, lack of awareness etc..this when everyone else was heaping praises on TT(me included)

He has been all over the "TT does not fir this offense" since early summer, and really been harping on it since the Watkins trade. I know early, but so far appears to be the case.

I admit I like Jeremy cause he tends to think outside traditional sports axioms, and I have been that way for 30 years.

I don't understand the "does not know football" comment. Explain that to me. Give me some examples of what you mean.

He readily admits he was never a coach etc, but he does start to spot trends and problems before most.

8 games into TT career, he was calling out the lack of throws over the middle, lack of anticipation throws, lack of awareness etc..this when everyone else was heaping praises on TT(me included)

He has been all over the "TT does not fir this offense" since early summer, and really been harping on it since the Watkins trade. I know early, but so far appears to be the case.

I admit I like Jeremy cause he tends to think outside traditional sports axioms, and I have been that way for 30 years.

you said it yourself. never played, never coached. Howard is the host and then often you have an analyst with the host to explain things and answer questions. what gets me upset is that he admittedly doesn't know much but he makes up his mind about certain things and then if anyone disagrees he gets loud and talks over them and then hangs up. if he was more humble and said i think it could be this but let's hear what the listeners think then that would be one thing. he is very self righteous. Schopp does the same stuff. as a fan of football i would greatly prefer someone who has played, a former Bill perhaps

For the most part I enjoy the morning show. Howard can be brutal quite a bit but I like Jeremy and think he makes a lot of good points.

Schopp and Bulldog can be entertaining and terrible at times.

The best is their post game show. That's very entertaining to listen to with all the hot takes.

Edited by Bangarang

I like Jeremy alot of the time, he makes some good intelligent points. But when he forms an opinion on something, he does everything to prove his point right and fit his agenda over time. It gets a little annoying. He is a proponent of tanking and I can't stand the concept of tanking. From day 1 he didn't like Tyrod...and all his commentaries over time continue to be critical of him. I mean Tyrod had a terrible game in the road opener last season, then he strung together some good games....like most QB's he's up and down...but he had some real solid games last season. This year they trade Sammy, his security blanket (Woods) leaves and they get rid of their RB2 right at cut down day. He's saddled with Dennisons terrible offense. We'll see how it all shakes out. Maybe Jeremy will get his wish and the Bills season tanks.

These guy both talk about the chiefs and Alex smith like they are terrible every year. The other day They were talking about the chiefs Pats opener and Jeremy kept saying what happened, I didn't see it? These guys speak about players and teams as if they haven't ever seen any of them. It's not a thing where you can just point to 1 thing to show they don't know sports. When you listen, it just jumps out.

These guy both talk about the chiefs and Alex smith like they are terrible every year. The other day They were talking about the chiefs Pats opener and Jeremy kept saying what happened, I didn't see it? These guys speak about players and teams as if they haven't ever seen any of them. It's not a thing where you can just point to 1 thing to show they don't know sports. When you listen, it just jumps out.

none of this is remotely true.

"Jim Rome hasnt been relevant in years, can we talk about him to?"

you said it yourself. never played, never coached. Howard is the host and then often you have an analyst with the host to explain things and answer questions. what gets me upset is that he admittedly doesn't know much but he makes up his mind about certain things and then if anyone disagrees he gets loud and talks over them and then hangs up. if he was more humble and said i think it could be this but let's hear what the listeners think then that would be one thing. he is very self righteous. Schopp does the same stuff. as a fan of football i would greatly prefer someone who has played, a former Bill perhaps

Sports radio is not about talking X's and O's and shifting o-line reads and the in-depth etc etc, if that is what you are looking for. Sports radio is entertainment for the masses, the masses want to talk about QB play and critical moments.

I live in Atlanta, and quite enjoy the morning sports show, The Rude Awakening. Maybe it's because I've been living in Atlanta for the past 11 years, but I would say it's just as good as Buffalo's sports radio programming as a whole. I've also lived in the DC Metro area (Alexandria Virginia), Charlotte NC, Pittsburgh, and New Orleans. I would rate Buffalo's sports radio higher than all of them...

They are easily the 2 worst people on any sports related show in the country. Neither one of them know a thing about sports. The one guy tries to be funny or edgy, but knows so little about sports it's painful. Then the other guy Howard, makes Steve Urkle look like Steve Austin. When Jeremy says anything that is his idea of an interesting fact, Howard will just say oh wow I would have expected it to be blank...when it's clear to everyone that neither guy has watched a sporting event in 20 years. How can that station not do better then these guys ? When they do the trivia, some of the answers they miss and give are fireable offenses in their line of work.

I couldn't disagree more. I live in the range of NYC and I can't stand most of those guys, but when you grow up with professional sports radio stations...it's pathetic to listen to the WGR morning show. They literally know nothing about sports . They don't even watch the games that they talk about. I can't speak first hand about Indy or Cleveland, but Howard and Jeremy are the 2 worst I have ever heard.

I don't want to make any assumptions about your travels, or what you have heard out there...But these takes are not even remotely close to being true...In fact they could not be farther from the truth...

That is not to say Howard and Jeremy are perfect...or even above average...But the worst? Um...No way...And I'd bet just about anything Howard Simon has watched more sports in his time then you will ever watch times 10...Howard is older now, and he also gets up at like 3 AM every morning...But he tapes important games and watches them when he gets up most of the time...He can't watch everything...No one can...But he certainly watches almost every Bills or Sabres game...For sure...And Jeremy is an absolute sports junkie...You would be hard pressed to find a game, especially any Sabres or Bills game, that he did not watch in full...He's an all-22 junkie too...Not sure what you're talking about there...

Disagree with their takes all you want...I do plenty...There is PLENTY to disagree with...On all the WGR shows...But don't go out of your way to make stuff up just because you don't like them...It takes away from your argument...And further pulls this board down...Which seems to be a regular thing nowadays... B-)

I tune in early this morning for some Bills coverage to hear Jeremy say this, and I quote "This offense is exactly what we thought they probably might be". Wow, with insight and analytical capabilities like that, I'm shocked that ESPN hasn't gobbled him up!

BLZFAN4LIFE when the Coach explains his offensive philosophy before the season starts as running the ball because you play in Buffalo, what do you expect?

Jeremy White and Schopp are right. We have yet another Head Coach who is obsessed with Field Position, Special Teams and running the ball. And yet again our passing game is among the weakest in the league.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

They went on and on today about the offense not able to do anything with sammy gone. Do they realize Tyrod avg 24pts game and Sammy missed 8 of those 15 games? And offense played well at Seattle scoring 25 while ending the game on the 5 yrd line with no Sammy !!

You're probably going to have to wait 7-10 years, or else set up a remote site for him to broadcast from.

Why so negative? We just need to be creative......

At least he would bring some good ticket giveaway contests and provide up to date point spreads.

Ah, here we go.

Carton and Howard and Jeremy in the Morning

BLZFAN4LIFE when the Coach explains his offensive philosophy before the season starts as running the ball because you play in Buffalo, what do you expect?

Jeremy White and Schopp are right. We have yet another Head Coach who is obsessed with Field Position, Special Teams and running the ball. And yet again our passing game is among the weakest in the league.

Why is it pretty much every NFL head coach plays that way while every sports radio guy says do the opposite? Is there a clue there, somewhere?

Why is it pretty much every NFL head coach plays that way while every sports radio guy says do the opposite? Is there a clue there, somewhere?

Well we've done the whole believe in the FO because they know more than the fans in Buffalo.

How is that working out for us? Look at these amazing draft picks and young emerging stars we have.

Well we've done the whole believe in the FO because they know more than the fans in Buffalo.

How is that working out for us? Look at these amazing draft picks and young emerging stars we have.

So you are saying every NFL head coach is dumber about football than Mike Schopp and Jeremy White?

I suggest everyone that is so upset with WGR morning and afternoon shows critiquing the bills (justifiably) should listen to John Murphey's show which is a good 2 hours of promoting the company line and "everything is fine" talk

Donald Wilson provided great insight as to what happens on that last play to Zay Jones - information you will never get on the Jeremy & Howard show

When Norwood kicked his FG wide right - Jeremy jumped for joy - now we listen to this twirps opinion? He often sounds like an 8yr old who plays 50 fantasy football leagues

So you are saying every NFL head coach is dumber about football than Mike Schopp and Jeremy White?

There are a ton of coaches that have a flawed philosophy based on learning football 30 years ago and not progressing. Your boy Doug Marrone being #1.

The game has changed. Much like basketball coaches who insist a 8 foot jump shot is better percentage shot than a 23'9 3 pointer, playing for field position, establishing run at all costs, picking guys cause they are better at special teams while there are better position players is a flawed, outdated strategy.

As is the obsession with penalties and turnovers.

Edited by plenzmd1

Everyone knew the Bills' offense was going to be terrible this year. I imagine it's pretty hard for the radio guys to come up with creative things to talk about when the obvious problem is that our players just aren't good enough.

Anyone who is surprised by our offense, or actually thought the Bills might make the postseason is just a huge homer. They weren't looking at things objectively.

Everyone knew the Bills' offense was going to be terrible this year. I imagine it's pretty hard for the radio guys to come up with creative things to talk about when the obvious problem is that our players just aren't good enough.

Anyone who is surprised by our offense, or actually thought the Bills might make the postseason is just a huge homer. They weren't looking at things objectively.

I hate the fact that these are solid points.

Well said, JR...you jerk. :lol:

jk, but not about the compliment!

Once you guys move out of Buffalo and listen to sports radio, you really will understand how great these two are for a morning show. Cleveland and Indy are by far, BY FAR, the worst I've heard. Indy thinks they are winning the chip every year. Cleveland? They think they'll split with Pitt and ravens and sneak their way to 8 wins, but they've been drafting top 5 forever.

They do a fine job and are usually right, regardless of how unpopular they can be at times.

Agreed completely. People love to pile on GR- it's actually a very solid sports talk radio station start to finish, especially considering its market size.

Every NFL head coach is obsessed with running the ball? Every NFL head coach goes run-run-pass the majority of the time? Every NFL head coach seeks to get more touches to a plodding 30-something fullback than his wide receivers each game? Do you ever watch, say, the Patriots or the Falcons or the Packers or any of the good teams play?

You know what I think is amatuer hour?

Guys like Sal Capaccio saying that this Coaching Staff wouldn't want Steve Johnson in the locker room because of the guy he is.

Our savior Watkins has yet to have a season as good as Steve Johnson did for 3 years in a row.

This obsession with character. Joe Webb is taking up a roster spot because of his "leadership". Mike Tolbert is the back up running back because of his work ethic.

Just gag me with the McDermott talk.

Fans turned on Johnson because Marrone didn't like him, and because EJ couldn't figure out his irregular route patterns....

And here we go again with fans buying into this run the ball, work hard, lean on Special Teams approach that McDermott is building.

They've cut, let go, traded all playmaking ability at WR, have no viable backups at RB or TE and we have fans who still believe in this crap. There is no speed on the field at all with the Bills.

Our genius staff, much like Rex, thinks that you can line up and just run over people with McCoy on 27 carries a game. I'm not convinced that even if we drafted a good QB, that McDermott would change his approach at all.

I would rather listen to them all day well them and instagators over listening to Murph and Jones pitch the party line

Right on man I agree

I agree so Sabres. Talk about Bills Defense and college QBs.

Again right on man

I think they're great. Don't always agree but listen every morning. Glad to have em.

I agree Edited by xRUSHx

There are a ton of coaches that have a flawed philosophy based on learning football 30 years ago and not progressing. Your boy Doug Marrone being #1.

The game has changed. Much like basketball coaches who insist a 8 foot jump shot is better percentage shot than a 23'9 3 pointer, playing for field position, establishing run at all costs, picking guys cause they are better at special teams while there are better position players is a flawed, outdated strategy.

As is the obsession with penalties and turnovers.

Again, you are arguing that NFL coaches are not as smart as radio hosts when it comes to game strategy. This is not a discussion of McDermott alone. Most coaches play this way. There must be a reason.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Again, you are arguing that NFL coaches are not as smart as radio hosts when it comes to game strategy. This is not a discussion of McDermott alone. Most coaches play this way. There must be a reason.

Think what ya want brother. If a Bills coach says it or believes it, I know in your mind it is Gospel. Has not mattered what coach we have had, GW, Jaton, Chan, Marrone., Rex.all geniuses in your mind. And yes, coaches absolutely play and coach so blame can be diverted to players as they "did what every other coach " would do, as idiot Rex said as he punted in OT from the plus side of the field in a game that a tie eliminates you.

And Rex was right, a lot of coaches would have kicked there, and they are idiots when it comes to game theory and situational football. And yep, I cannot design a play, but I can sure as chit understand clock management, game strategy and what philosophy is consistently winning in the league.

Think what ya want brother. If a Bills coach says it or believes it, I know in your mind it is Gospel. Has not mattered what coach we have had, GW, Jaton, Chan, Marrone., Rex.all geniuses in your mind. And yes, coaches absolutely play and coach so blame can be diverted to players as they "did what every other coach " would do, as idiot Rex said as he punted in OT from the plus side of the field in a game that a tie eliminates you.

And Rex was right, a lot of coaches would have kicked there, and they are idiots when it comes to game theory and situational football. And yep, I cannot design a play, but I can sure as chit understand clock management, game strategy and what philosophy is consistently winning in the league.

I have no idea what you are arguing about. That all Bills coaches suck? Sure. Fine. They suck. The whole team sucks. Happy?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have no idea what you are arguing about. That all Bills coaches suck. Sure. Fine. They suck. Happy?

I am arguing that if Jeremy or Howard, or anyone really, disagrees with a Bills coach or a Bills philosphy, it does not make them wrong or "amateur" hour as the thread stated. 10 years ago, it was accepted wisdom that too many 3's killed your chances of winning a basketball game, much as accepted wisdom today in the NFL is that field position has to dictate your play calls, establishing a run must be your first priority, and that special teams are an equal third of the game. You believe if a good number of coaches believe those tenants, anyone who does not must be wrong.I believe just the opposite.

And to get into game theory with 90% of NFL coaches is just excruciating. The vast majority play not to lose, do not understand game theory when it comes to playing the opposite coach and his decision-making tendencies, win probabilities on both game and plays etc.

So in a nutshell you think these coaches would win more games if they rolled the dice more?

I have a hard time believing any NFL coach would leave wins on the field out of fear. If analytics said it's better to go for it on 4th down or throw more down field, they would do it. I mean their jobs depend on wins.

As for the 3-point thing, is it the strategy or the player that changed the game? If you have a Curry hitting 75% it works. If you have Joe Shmoe lobbing bricks it doesn't.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So in a nutshell you think these coaches would win more games if they rolled the dice more?

I have a hard time believing any NFL coach would leave wins on the field out of fear. If analytics said it's better to go for it on 4th down or throw more down field, they would do it. I mean their jobs depend on wins.

As for the 3-point thing, is it the strategy or the player that changed the game? If you have a Curry hitting 75% it works. If you have Joe Shmoe lobbing bricks it doesn't.

This is the thing that Schoop never seems to address. I think the analytics people go by some leaguewide numbers of something - it seems they never account for the players who have to pull it off.

I actually enjoy Howard and Jeremy in the morning. I'm not really listening or deep analysis. I think they are entertaining.

I don't mind Murphy and Donald. They are what they are, team shills.

I HATE Schopp and the Bulldog. Bulldog might literally be the dumbest person in WNY, let alone on the radio and Schopp is a derelict. All he talks about are alcohol and gambling and how he really doesn't like the Bills. The station gets turned off as soon as I get in my car for the drive home. I used to try to listen, but would get annoyed and have to change it within 5 minutes

This is the thing that Schoop never seems to address. I think the analytics people go by some leaguewide numbers of something - it seems they never account for the players who have to pull it off.

Numbers do not tell the whole story, but yes you use league-wide numbers and historical information to help make decisions.

Every single Bills coach in the drought has left wins on the table out of fear, as have the vast majority of coaches in the league.Look no further than Rex punting against Miami last year.

Changing tactics and going against the conventional wisdom may lead to 2 more wins, or maybe only 1 in the 10 games where decisions matter, but using conventional wisdom/decision making leads to zero criticism, where trying something different they would get chit for the same 8 games they lost. IE Belicheck going for it on 4th in the Colts game. Absolute right decision, but blamed cause the outcome was wrong.

Edited by plenzmd1

Every single Bills coach in the drought has left wins on the table out of fear, as have the vast majority of coaches in the league.Look no further than Rex punting against Miami last year.

Changing tactics and going against the conventional wisdom may lead to 2 more wins, or maybe only 1 in the 10 games where decisions matter, but using conventional wisdom/decision making leads to zero criticism, where trying something different they would get chit for the same 8 games they lost. IE Belicheck going for it on 4th in the Colts game. Absolute right decision, but blamed cause the outcome was wrong.

Not sure why you quoted me. You didn't address what I said at all.