Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They assessed his value to the future success of the team as not essential. I happen to think it's a mistake.

And I happen to believe his value was assessed with how likely management judged his future contentedness with the Bills as a variable, which apparently you omit in your calculation. I, personally, do not have a hard time believing Watkins would have preferred a different situation.

And I happen to believe his value was assessed with how likely management judged his future contentedness with the Bills as a variable, which apparently you omit in your calculation. I, personally, do not have a hard time believing Watkins would have preferred a different situation.

If once accepts that premise, how many other players should they bend to once they decide they don't want to be a Buffalo Bill? Seems like a poor way of running a franchise in a scenario of having 100% control of the situation.

They literally traded Sammy when his value was the lowest. We have an early bye this year, we could have gotten more from the deal if Beane let Sammy play 6 games and prove he's healthy. It's the timing and strategy of this move that irks me, especially since they are clearly preparing to spend a lot of capital in drafting a QB this year.

This was my thought as well when the trade went down.

Teams looking to make a playoff push might have ponyed up more than just a 2nd if they saw him being healthy again.

If once accepts that premise, how many other players should they bend to once they decide they don't want to be a Buffalo Bill? Seems like a poor way of running a franchise in a scenario of having 100% control of the situation.

Like most organizations charged with making these kinds of decisions, I'm sure they'll do it on a case-by-case basis.

Teams looking to make a playoff push might have ponyed up more than just a 2nd if they saw him being healthy again.

I get it, but what if he got injured again? You just never know with that guy. He came out of last night's game banged up. Edited by RaoulDuke79

That's a baseball or basketball type of scenario, in football the coaches want the guys in their system during the offseason. Each game matters unlike many other sports, football players have max value before the games begin.

Anyone have theory for why the Bills were unable to get more than a second round pick for Watkins? The Saints got a first for Cooks...

They did get more than a 2nd round pick... they got a starting CB. The Rams 2nd and Patriots 1st are likely to be about 10 spaces or so apart, they're not that different in value. Getting back Gaines makes up the difference.

Is anyone not cool with changing the thread name to "Sammy Watch-kins"? Mods?

Finally, something both sides of the aisle can agree on

Actually it was not a good throw, it was a lob into double coverage away from the actual route being run. It took an ELITE play but an ELITE talent at WR to track the ball in a highly difficult position and angle, adjust the route while NOT taking his eyes off the ball, and it took TOUGHNESS and BALLS OF STEEL to do that without taking his eyes off the ball to look to see if he was going to take a big hit or not in a highly vulnerable position for him.

There only a few WRs in the NFL capable of that play. And if you want to FALSELY discredit the skill by the WR on that play and give it the QB who literally just chucked the ball high and far then you don't really understand the game or the play or just want to discredit Sammy and will skew anything to serve that agenda.

Hi,

I am not sure why you decided to started capitalizing FALSELY and attacking me as if I attacked Watkins. He made a good catch.

But if Tyrod throws that same ball last Sunday, the Bills win (absent a Music City Miracle scenario). Goff's throw was on the wrong shoulder but hit Sammy in stride, over the two defenders, without forcing Watkins to extend his hands or leap over the DBs. That was not perhaps the total pinpoint throw that would win Goff the big stuffed animal at the carnival, but it was pretty solid.

I didn't discredit Watkins making a good catch. I just was noting that I wish we had a QB capable of that throw.

They did get more than a 2nd round pick... they got a starting CB. The Rams 2nd and Patriots 1st are likely to be about 10 spaces or so apart, they're not that different in value. Getting back Gaines makes up the difference.

Finally, something both sides of the aisle can agree on

For the record, Gaines had fallen to 4th on the Rams' CB depth chart behind Johnson, Webster, and NRC.

He has played pretty well here though; hope it continues against decent teams

I'm not sure I agree about the Watkins trade being short-term thinking...if it's true they're drafting a QB and aren't enamored of Taylor going forward (and all signs point to that being the case), then they probably concluded that showcasing Watkins for a season in a Taylor-led offense wasn't likely to improve his value trade-wise. You combine that with his apparent reticence to commit to being in Buffalo going forward, I can see where they could decide on pulling the trigger. I guess I can see their rationale, even if I don't agree with all the logic...Jones' development and their belief in him will be a real factor in how this trade is viewed down the road.

I get that and understand what you're saying. :beer:

For clarity, I'm not saying this move means we should fire Beane. I am keeping an open mind with regards to Beane and McDermott, but in terms of first impressions this move didn't inspire much confidence. Still, the ultimate judgment on Beane's tenure is going to come down to the QB pick in this year's draft. He'll sink or swim based on the QB he picks... which is why if I were him, diva or no diva, I'd want to make sure the new QB has weapons to get off to a fast start.

Though, to be fair you guys don't KNOW that is the case. With our luck, he would have broke his foot off in the second Bills game and he would have had no trade value...

Just sayin'.

I get it, but what if he got injured again? You just never know with that guy. He came out of last night's game banged up.

Totally fair points. Personally I'm one of the people who believes Sammy's been unlucky rather than injury prone, though I understand that's still debatable - especially when it comes to a GM considering value in a trade scenario.

For the record, Gaines had fallen to 4th on the Rams' CB depth chart behind Johnson, Webster, and NRC.

He has played pretty well here though; hope it continues against decent teams

The Rams just allowed 39 points to freaking Brian Hoyer and his pedestrian supporting cast. Their secondary looked lost most of the night and were very lucky that a weak OPI call halted the comeback. Gaines is lost in pretty much all of these discussions about Sammy. But he was a bigger part of the trade than people give it credit for.

And are you telling me Gaines's play so far is overrated because of the teams he's faced ;)

like that bar fight someone last weekend told me about in NoLa from 4 years ago. Right?

Can't believe that was never reported, I verified what you and I both heard from someone else. Someone who was there.

!@#$ all this Sammy talk zzzzzzz.

I want to hear about the NoLa bar fight. :thumbsup:

The Rams just allowed 39 points to freaking Brian Hoyer and his pedestrian supporting cast. Their secondary looked lost most of the night and were very lucky that a weak OPI call halted the comeback. Gaines is lost in pretty much all of these discussions about Sammy. But he was a bigger part of the trade than people give it credit for.

And are you telling me Gaines's play so far is overrated because of the teams he's faced ;)

Nope.

What I said is that I hope he can continue to play well against decent teams; you decided that meant he's overrated. It doesn't.

Again, I take facts in context. I don't marginalized performance to fit an agenda.