Sammy watch

dave mcbride

No bets on him being cursed. No hoping he gets injured. No glee at him getting injured. No hate that he didn't work out in Buffalo. I am just not willing to risk big money on him, even though I can't pinpoint why he keeps getting injured.

Obviously I wasn't implying you hate him or wish him ill. I'm getting at "if you are worried about history repeating itself, what do you see as the cause?"

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big night for a big player. He was absolutely amazing in the #NFLThursdayNightFootball game, against the Niners. I thought to myself 'We're changing culture in Buffalo. Meanwhile, in LA (Rams), Watkins is having a Pro Bowl Season. Watkins can make a catch down the sideline, over the shoulder, in double coverage. Yet, Jones can't make a catch on the right hash marks, in single coverage. Can someone please explain to me again, why we traded Watkins?'. My thoughts exactly.

So far he's on-pace to duplicate his 2015 season.

I can't because it doesn't make even a lick of sense to me.

You and others are creating your own boogey man to justify your position. Who hates him? Are you kidding me? When have others made that declaration. There are people who supported the trade and others who didn't. There are good/reasonable arguments for both sides of the argument. But to characterize it as unjustly hating or disliking the person is preposterous.

The rebuilding Bills are going to struggle this season. That's a reality that many people are going to find difficult to handle. Placing the factions into haters and not haters is descending into the realm of foolishness.

For the record I don't consider Taylor a franchise qb. I don't hate him. I understand why Watkins was traded. In fact I have stated before I am glad that he is in a better situation as a player where his impressive talents can be realized. I don't hate him. So let's stop this foolishness before it spreads like a plague and irreparably damages the board.

Sammy's talent was never in question. It's his durability. At this point in his career, it is not a stretch to say that Watkins isn't durable. I'm not talking down on him, it's just what it is.

He'll never be a consistently productive WR because he can't stay on the field. He isn't the first guy to have such luck and he won't be the last.

You and others are creating your own boogey man to justify your position. Who hates him? Are you kidding me? When have others made that declaration. There are people who supported the trade and others who didn't. There are good/reasonable arguments for both sides of the argument. But to characterize it as unjustly hating or disliking the person is preposterous.

The rebuilding Bills are going to struggle this season. That's a reality that many people are going to find difficult to handle. Placing the factions into haters and not haters is descending into the realm of foolishness.

For the record I don't consider Taylor a franchise qb. I don't hate him. I understand why Watkins was traded. In fact I have stated before I am glad that he is in a better situation as a player where his impressive talents can be realized. I don't hate him. So let's stop this foolishness before it spreads like a plague and irreparably damages the board.

Pay attention before you post. There is a faction of posters on TSW who posted negatively about him on a regular basis well before he was traded and continued to do so after the trade was done.

Little jobs and flat earth. :rolleyes:

I neither have a little job nor does it matter/do I care that he thinks the Earth is flat. My hawt taeks are without hatred. In fact they're the most non-emotional arguments here. Sammy is looking to make north of $12M/year, per his own admission, but to date his production hasn't warranted even close to that. You cannot pay players huge dollars based on potential.

I neither have a little job nor does it matter/do I care that he thinks the Earth is flat. My hawt taeks are without hatred. In fact they're the most non-emotional arguments here. Sammy is looking to make north of $12M/year, per his own admission, but to date his production hasn't warranted even close to that. You cannot pay players huge dollars based on potential.

That was a joke. Don't try to process it.

Pay attention before you post. There is a faction of posters on TSW who posted negatively about him on a regular basis well before he was traded and continued to do so after the trade was done.

I am paying attention. There is always going to be a small faction of fools who viciously personalize their comments. That's simply part of the landscape. But those fools make up a small but loud chorus. They don't reflect the overwhelming majority or even minority of contrarian posters. Magnifying this group does degrade the general discussion.

Can you explain to me why so many people here hate a player because he gets injured? (do Texans hate JJ Watt? Falcons hate Julio? Colts hate Luck you think?)

And what's more baffling, is that they HATE him for playing THROUGH injury like he did last year?

This fanbase is beyond insane now. smh.

Who hates Sammy? I think he is injury prone and isn't worth the contract he will want. You think that's hating him? It's just an opinion.

Who hates Sammy? I think he is injury prone and isn't worth the contract he will want. You think that's hating him? It's just an opinion.

...that is clearly the ugly business side of the equation....was/is Sammy "cured"?...who knows....medicine is NOT an exact science just like the draft.. there are 26 bones in the human foot......care to predict if all 26 x 2 are in good shape for Sammy?....2 ACL's for Bradford yet the Vikes took a shot and he's now again again with knee swelling....only the ignorant hate and want to see any of these kids fail to fulfill their dream....

A year doesn't sound like a lot but it really is a substantial difference. For real bar napkin math if all are 25 for the average team, a quarter of our roster would be 30 to sway it that far. It's a substantial difference in makeup.

If we aren't pushing this year I'd rather have that quarter be under not over 25, generally speaking (not a hard rule but for the most part)

As a doctor, what do you propose ties a propensity to have a foot injury, a broken rib, and a concussion?

It's not a reoccurring injury or even remotely consistent type to blame his body.

Those beating the drum loudest overlap the crowd saying he avoids hits so it's not his style of play.

Could it just be dumb luck with the foot and that concussions are a huge focus right now (and he might not even miss time so is it even an injury worth pointing at yet??)

My main point was that everyone seems to blame this new regime for having this "ancient" roster (I also took issue with the word ancient), but even with the cuts and trades of younger players they made, the roster is only 0.4 years older than it was last year. They were 26.3 last year and are 26.7 this year.

So this new regime started with an older roster to begin with (which could be part of the reason they are collecting draft picks to rebuild).

And when they add all those young draft picks next year (the Bills and a Browns hold the most 2018 draft picks in the NFL) it is likely going to substantially lower the average age of the Bills. 6 picks in the top 3 rounds that are all likely to make the 53, plus who knows how many from the 4th-7th rounds. They could be like the Browns and keep every one of their draft picks... lol.

Big night for a big player. He was absolutely amazing in the #NFLThursdayNightFootball game, against the Niners. I thought to myself 'We're changing culture in Buffalo. Meanwhile, in LA (Rams), Watkins is having a Pro Bowl Season. Watkins can make a catch down the sideline, over the shoulder, in double coverage. Yet, Jones can't make a catch on the right hash marks, in single coverage. Can someone please explain to me again, why we traded Watkins?'. My thoughts exactly.

Watkins was traded because GM Beane felt that a 2018 2nd round pick > keeping a wide receiver for one more year (a wide receiver that has never proven he can be counted on to play an entire NFL season healthy).

Watkins was traded because GM Beane felt that a 2018 2nd round pick > keeping a wide receiver for one more year (a wide receiver that has never proven he can be counted on to play an entire NFL season healthy).

...although the tariff may be high, I assume the tag would not be a viable option at + or - 14 mil......tag and trade would be a bigger crap shoot............Peerless Price days are gone at today's numbers.....

For newer posters, guys like Alpha, Bandit, & Kirby are very positive guys who always give reasonable takes. I believe they try to look for the bright side of things for the Bills perspective. They all didnt like the trade from the beginning. For the most part, you normally dont win a trade when you trade an elite talent.

As someone pointed out in the thread, most Eagles fans hate the Shady trade from the beginning (Whaley sucks!). They still havent found a good replacement for him 3 years later.

You can love the Bills but not blindly defend every move. This has the potential to be a really awful trade for us. Hes 24.