Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a truth that's lost on people who don't realize that being a Bills fan is about a shared following.........not about blindly supporting suspect or unproven leadership.

Mentioned in another thread that I'm watching that Ken Burns Vietnam documentary and this frickin drought is almost as long as that conflict at this point..........all we need now is Peter Coyote to stay alive long enough to grimly narrate the retrospective of all the self-inflicted damage when it finally ends.

What really blows my mind here is looking at year 2.........what the f*ck do they do with this ancient roster next year?........take a step back? Keep old players........get rid of young ones :doh:.......McDermott is really going to have to coach his assoff to avoid the guillotine.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

The Bills average roster age is 26.7 years old. The NFL average is 25.7.

The Bills average age in 2016... 26.3 yrs old.

I think it's likely the Bills average age will be NFL average or better next year just from the 6+ top 90 draft picks. Kyle Williams possible retirement would also lower the average.

But there are a lot of holes to fill on this roster for sure, and they could possibly take a step back next year depending on what they decide to do with the roster. I don't see it being an age related thing though (besides maybe having to replace Kyle Williams).

Your takes...

No, it's the take of most people who don't/didn't think that investing $12+M/year in Sammy was/is a good idea. Some guys are just injury-prone. Sammy appeared to be just that, and now here is it, not even a fifth of the way into the season, and he's injured again. At some point you need to step back and look at it objectively and say "you know, he does not seem to be able to stay healthy."

Again his ability is undeniable and no one thought he wouldn't have at least one good game this year. But as BADOL likes to say, the best ability is availability.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

The Bills average roster age is 26.7 years old. The NFL average is 25.7.

The Bills average age in 2016... 26.3 yrs old.

I think it's likely the Bills average age will be NFL average or better next year just from the 6+ top 90 draft picks. Kyle Williams possible retirement would also lower the average.

But there are a lot of holes to fill on this roster for sure, and they could possibly take a step back next year depending on what they decide to do with the roster. I don't see it being an age related thing though (besides maybe having to replace Kyle Williams).

A year doesn't sound like a lot but it really is a substantial difference. For real bar napkin math if all are 25 for the average team, a quarter of our roster would be 30 to sway it that far. It's a substantial difference in makeup.

If we aren't pushing this year I'd rather have that quarter be under not over 25, generally speaking (not a hard rule but for the most part)

No, it's the take of most people who don't/didn't think that investing $12+M/year in Sammy was/is a good idea. Some guys are just injury-prone. Sammy appeared to be just that, and now here is it, not even a fifth of the way into the season, and he's injured again. At some point you need to step back and look at it objectively and say "you know, he does not seem to be able to stay healthy."

Again his ability is undeniable and no one thought he wouldn't have at least one good game this year. But as BADOL likes to say, the best ability is availability.

As a doctor, what do you propose ties a propensity to have a foot injury, a broken rib, and a concussion?

It's not a reoccurring injury or even remotely consistent type to blame his body.

Those beating the drum loudest overlap the crowd saying he avoids hits so it's not his style of play.

Could it just be dumb luck with the foot and that concussions are a huge focus right now (and he might not even miss time so is it even an injury worth pointing at yet??)

watkins was never resigning here. at least we got something for him.

he's the girl that was dumping us after homecoming so we danced with the other girl who we could take home.

Franchise tag. And no, he's the homecoming queen we turned down for the quirky nerd, because she might "have something."

Getting a concussion makes you injury prone? Hardly! Not to mention that he has time to recover with 10 days between the game on Thursday and the next Rams' contest on October 1.

Getting a concussion makes you injury prone? Hardly! Not to mention that he has time to recover with 10 days between the game on Thursday and the next Rams' contest on October 1.

Can you explain to me why so many people here hate a player because he gets injured? (do Texans hate JJ Watt? Falcons hate Julio? Colts hate Luck you think?)

And what's more baffling, is that they HATE him for playing THROUGH injury like he did last year?

This fanbase is beyond insane now. smh.

Edited by CanadianFan

Can you explain to me why so many people here hate a player because he gets injured? (do Texans hate JJ Watt? Falcons hate Julio? Colts hate Luck you think?)

And what's more baffling, is that they HATE him for playing THROUGH injury like he did last year?

I can't because it doesn't make even a lick of sense to me.

As a doctor, what do you propose ties a propensity to have a foot injury, a broken rib, and a concussion?

It's not a reoccurring injury or even remotely consistent type to blame his body.

Those beating the drum loudest overlap the crowd saying he avoids hits so it's not his style of play.

Could it just be dumb luck with the foot and that concussions are a huge focus right now (and he might not even miss time so is it even an injury worth pointing at yet??)

I couldn't tell you the exact reason why some players are just injury-prone. They just are. I recall Rob Johnson suffering all sorts of injuries. Maybe it is just dumb luck and injuries can happen to any player, but no one has a crystal ball so all you can do is go off of a player's history.

The point is it's another injury. And after you get the first, it's easier to get more concussions. And again, not even a fifth of the season has been played.

I don't hate him. Maybe others do. I just didn't/don't see him as a good investment and the money he's looking for.

Some guys are just injury-prone. Sammy appeared to be just that, and now here is it, not even a fifth of the way into the season, and he's injured again. At some point you need to step back and look at it objectively and say "you know, he does not seem to be able to stay healthy."

It's a concussion that he has 10 days to recover from. I'd be surprised if he doesn't play in their next game.

I couldn't tell you the exact reason why some players are just injury-prone. They just are. I recall Rob Johnson suffering all sorts of injuries. Maybe it is just dumb luck and injuries can happen to any player, but no one has a crystal ball so all you can do is go off of a player's history.

That's kind of what I'm trying to actually do here though.

So it's not a structural issue in his body.

It's not his style of play.

Other than the broken ribs there's not a lot of subjectivity to the other two (i.e. He isn't making it up or exaggerating)

So you are betting on him being somehow cursed at this point? Or is there another explanation that ties his past together in a way that justifies worries about his future?

The point is it's another injury. And after you get the first, it's easier to get more concussions. And again, not even a fifth of the season has been played.

I don't hate him. Maybe others do. I just didn't/don't see him as a good investment and the money he's looking for.

Spot on

That's kind of what I'm trying to actually do here though.

So it's not a structural issue in his body.

It's not his style of play.

Other than the broken ribs there's not a lot of subjectivity to the other two (i.e. He isn't making it up or exaggerating)

So you are betting on him being somehow cursed at this point? Or is there another explanation that ties his past together in a way that justifies worries about his future?

No bets on him being cursed. No hoping he gets injured. No glee at him getting injured. No hate that he didn't work out in Buffalo. I am just not willing to risk big money on him, even though I can't pinpoint why he keeps getting injured.

Big night for a big player. He was absolutely amazing in the #NFLThursdayNightFootball game, against the Niners. I thought to myself 'We're changing culture in Buffalo. Meanwhile, in LA (Rams), Watkins is having a Pro Bowl Season. Watkins can make a catch down the sideline, over the shoulder, in double coverage. Yet, Jones can't make a catch on the right hash marks, in single coverage. Can someone please explain to me again, why we traded Watkins?'. My thoughts exactly.

It's a concussion that he has 10 days to recover from. I'd be surprised if he doesn't play in their next game.

Its possible. Ive been looking for data on this but very few people have it. The data I find is years old now back when the rules were first changed. Back then (2012) the average time missed was 16 days. 49% of players don't miss any games. The next largest is 1 game missed. According to experts in the field an athlete is most vulnerable after a concussion in the first 10 days.

Everyone is different. He could miss no time or he could miss 6 months or anything in between that. Just like Tyrod, you will know he is almost out of concussion protocol when he has his first practice day back with his teammates.