Sammy watch

dave mcbride

I think everyone everywhere agrees with that. The point is you need the others, too. So why get rid of the others while trying to fill the most important when you can't win with just the most important either.

Because he bought one of several false narratives about Sammy and needs to be right.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was shocked when the team traded Sammy ...but then realized that this team needs an elite QB more than an elite WR. Besides, next year he would have walked away and the Bills get nothing for him or pay Julio Jones type money for a guy who is always injured.

If the Bills get their franchise QB in the 2018 draft and he is an elite player I know I'll be happy.

I was shocked when the team traded Sammy ...but then realized that this team needs an elite QB more than an elite WR. Besides, next year he would have walked away and the Bills get nothing for him or pay Julio Jones type money for a guy who is always injured.

If the Bills get their franchise QB in the 2018 draft and he is an elite player I know I'll be happy.

If you are going to buy a nice new house make sure to sell your car. Because you can't have both.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. The team would have this entire year to learn if Sammy was truly always injured or just a victim of bad luck. Even the most ardent Sammy fan like myself, IF he gets hurt and misses a good amount of time this year, would not advocate signing him to a huge salary. But if he's proved this year to stay healthy and was the player we know he can be, then and only then do you sign or franchise him. Saying we don't know if he's can stay healthy is ridiculous. We would have a full year. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yes. True. But a good quarterback elevates the average/above average players around him to a degree that good players around a bad quarterback simply cannot. The QB remains the most important part of a rebuild.

Actually, no.

A GREAT QB elevates average/above average players.

That is a VERY small group.......Brady and Rodgers.

After that.......even the guys like Philip Rivers and Big Ben and Drew Brees need talented players to throw the ball to........and their teams know this and typically GIVE them those players.

Taylor is a catalyst at QB........he's not a singularly dominant element (elite or even franchise QB)......but he makes playmakers even more explosive than most QB's in the level below Brady and Rodgers can..........that's why they've lead the NFL in big plays on offense the past two seasons and he did that while protecting the football as well or better than any other QB in the league.

As I've said........too many Bills fans have become SO FARSIGHTED that they don't realize that there are 29 other teams in the NFL that don't have Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.........and those other QB's aren't going to carry your mediocre team. NONE of them.

Stop making sense. That's not allowed here. It's like fighting in the war room.

Pretty sad when you are now parroting a guy who you've probably never agreed with until this offseason. :doh:

Doc has been a longtime apologist for all things Billsy.......most of which you've hated.

It might be time for you and Rico to re-consider your "anything has to be 100% better" takes.........it's lining you up with some of the boards biggest idiots. :lol:

Pretty sad when you are now parroting a guy who you've probably never agreed with until this offseason. :doh:

Doc has been a longtime apologist for all things Billsy.......most of which you've hated.

It might be time for you and Rico to re-consider your "anything has to be 100% better" takes.........it's lining you up with some of the boards biggest idiots. :lol:

:D

Not the biggest though. I do believe both you and 26CornerBlitz are very much against the Sammy trade. :(

Yes you're correct, we would have had a full year. But what if he did get hurt again or hurt enough that he's not worth signing. It's not just the amount of games he was out, but also the number of games he played nicked up and was pretty much in-effective. Just like now concussion protocol. So if at a the end of the year, you decided he wasn't worth signing, you'd get nothing in return as then way to late to trade for anything other than a bag of peanuts. Trading now you got a 2nd round pick and a CB who's looking pretty good so far.

I'm not saying they should have made the trade or not, but your position of "we would have a full year" doesn't take into account you could very likely be walking away with nothing to show for it.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. The team would have this entire year to learn if Sammy was truly always injured or just a victim of bad luck. Even the most ardent Sammy fan like myself, IF he gets hurt and misses a good amount of time this year, would not advocate signing him to a huge salary. But if he's proved this year to stay healthy and was the player we know he can be, then and only then do you sign or franchise him. Saying we don't know if he's can stay healthy is ridiculous. We would have a full year.

The best ability is availability. I could swear some genius here once said that. :lol:

Edited by Doc

This is the part of the deal that so many try to ignore. I've had conversations with fellow posters who have told me that there is no way the team had off the field concerns with Sammy. As if they really know that.

the bills were concerned were his off the field persona.

Yes you're correct, we would have had a full year. But what if he did get hurt again or hurt enough that he's not worth signing. It's not just the amount of games he was out, but also the number of games he played nicked up and was pretty much in-effective. Just like now concussion protocol. So if at a the end of the year, you decided he wasn't worth signing, you'd get nothing in return as then way to late to trade for anything other than a bag of peanuts. Trading now you got a 2nd round pick and a CB who's looking pretty good so far.

I'm not saying they should have made the trade or not, but your position of "we would have a full year" doesn't take into account you could very likely be walking away with nothing to show for it.

Thank you, Ed well said.

How many early draft pick players have the Bills lost over the years for one reason or another. The Bills got a starting CB and a 2018 2nd round pick for Watkins and if that pick translates into a solid starter it will mean the Bills got the equivalent of two starters for a guy who was always nursing injuries while missing a bunch of games.

After watching that Rams, 49ers game I can see why Bills fans would be upset over the trade.

Actually, no.

A GREAT QB elevates average/above average players.

That is a VERY small group.......Brady and Rodgers.

After that.......even the guys like Philip Rivers and Big Ben and Drew Brees need talented players to throw the ball to........and their teams know this and typically GIVE them those players.

Taylor is a catalyst at QB........he's not a singularly dominant element (elite or even franchise QB)......but he makes playmakers even more explosive than most QB's in the level below Brady and Rodgers can..........that's why they've lead the NFL in big plays on offense the past two seasons and he did that while protecting the football as well or better than any other QB in the league.

As I've said........too many Bills fans have become SO FARSIGHTED that they don't realize that there are 29 other teams in the NFL that don't have Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.........and those other QB's aren't going to carry your mediocre team. NONE of them.

You've known me long Enough to know i give zero !@#$s what people think about me or my takes. I think having a plan is better that doubling down on stupid like Whaley did with Watkins. But that's just me. Edited by joesixpack

And once again, again, I'm not sure I can blame a rookie staff for not wanting the headache.

Part of being a HC is dealing with headaches. There are some they can influence and some are lost causes. Some are prima Donna's and some are quintessential team players. Cutting bait to head off problems is a lazy solution. Hope this is what you were saying, apologies if I misunderstood.

This logic falls on deaf ears.

It's "blah blah blah, we don't have a Aaron Rogers so who cares about anything else."

Meanwhile the Colts are a prime example of why the above logic is ridiculously stupid. They blow and even with Andrew Luck they will blow.

Such incredibly bad takes but so easily predictable around here.

Why do people use Luck as a example? It's painfully obvious that they are a cusp Playoff team when he plays. Without him they are like a 0-16 - 2-14 team. This supports how important a franchise QB is, not the other way around. The Luck/Colts comparison just shows how incredibly bad the GM and FO is in INDY by not being able to give Luck surrounding talent on all phases of the game.

Edited by Real McCoy

how is this still a topic? did Sammy cement his HoF status after the first 3 games of this season? or is he still the oft injured receiver who was going to want a crapton of money this offseason with a subpar QB throwing to him? this was a pure business decision by OBD. nothing more.

not over paying a receiver that hasnt showed durability.....

some of you are assuming Sammy wanted to be here after the season. never assume. better to get something rather than nothing.

how is this still a topic? did Sammy cement his HoF status after the first 3 games of this season? or is he still the oft injured receiver who was going to want a crapton of money this offseason with a subpar QB throwing to him? this was a pure business decision by OBD. nothing more.

not over paying a receiver that hasnt showed durability.....

some of you are assuming Sammy wanted to be here after the season. never assume. better to get something rather than nothing.

Once again, the Bills were in full control of the situation for at least four years with the fifth year option and the franchise tag available.

This logic falls on deaf ears.

It's "blah blah blah, we don't have a Aaron Rogers so who cares about anything else."

Meanwhile the Colts are a prime example of why the above logic is ridiculously stupid. They blow and even with Andrew Luck they will blow.

Such incredibly bad takes but so easily predictable around here.

Kim Jung QB must not be criticized. The Colts would be 2-0 and 9 of their next 14 opponents would have already forfeited for fear of being reduced to ashes by his mighty power. The 5 teams that dared to try would be forever shamed from existence by his unmerciful doing.

Wonder how the Giants feel about OBJs off the field persona.

It's the NFL. A LOT of these guys are trouble off the field. You put up with the talented ones.... and what has Sammy done off the field that they thought "we have to get this guy off the field."

Like I said, McDermott and Beane come across as a bunch of "I'm smarter then everyone" kind of guys.... until the losing starts and people get tired of them.

I agree wrt Watkins but the rest of what they have done strikes me as confidence, not arrogance. All teams make mistakes and theirs was was gigantic. The rest of what they have done....I can see the logic and they are not dumbasses like Rex or arrogant caustic jerks like Marrone.

I knew he had brittle bones but a soft head too? Who leaves a game with a head injury? Most guys just tough it out, especially in 2017. It's not like he can be forced to leave. Wimp.

I'll assume you're being sarcastic. I am not going to reiterate my previous judgement on Sammy - that he can't stay healthy - about this setback. Concussions are not to be scoffed at. I hope it's not going to be long term for him.