Jordan Matthews on Sirius Opening Drive 9/15

stevewin

Bob Papa and Torry Holt

Short interview - pretty effusive in his praise of Tyrod...

- Adjustment period after trading. What’s helped transition

Caliber of men in locker room. Coach McD has done a great job of getting guys that he has trust in. Familiarity with a few people – Tyrod, Leshon. Trained with Tyrod before – standard of greatness, always early, never criticizes, takes blame no matter what, complete team guy – having him as QB has been helpful. Coaches helped. Injury let me sit back and get acclimated and learn the offense better. Good transition - credit to players and coaches in locker room

- Tyrod

Mature, focus. Has seen a lot, worked butt off to get to where he is now. Made most of opportunity – faced criticism, but stayed steady. Intensity and focus every day – he’s seen everything, nothing’s going to be new to him at this point

- Learn from Week 1 tape

Negative plays. Don’t beat ourselves. Didn’t capitalize in red zone. Have enouh playmakers and guys working butts off, just can’t beat ourselves. Things to be excited and optimistic about

- Zay

Developing extremely well. Very very high ceiling. Size - tall enough to play outside and go up and get balls, and lean and fast enough to play inside and also get open against smaller corners. Extremely good finesse game – off the line, finding DB blind spots and breaking at right point – he’s great at that. Don’t think he realizes how big he is – I tell him those small corners don’t want to touch you once they see a bigger guy coming at them. Getting him more confident in physical side of game. Puts a lot of pressure on himself. See a lot of potential – also helps in run game, unselfish.

- Panthers

Great team defense. LBs get highlighted, besides Bills ( :rolleyes: ) think they are best LBing corps. Big corners – cover lot of space. These are type of games need to sustain long drives, make tough 3rd down catches – but we’re embracing it.

Bob Papa and Torry Holt

Short interview - pretty effusive in his praise of Tyrod...

- Adjustment period after trading. What’s helped transition

Caliber of men in locker room. Coach McD has done a great job of getting guys that he has trust in. Familiarity with a few people – Tyrod, Leshon. Trained with Tyrod before – standard of greatness, always early, never criticizes, takes blame no matter what, complete team guy – having him as QB has been helpful. Coaches helped. Injury let me sit back and get acclimated and learn the offense better. Good transition - credit to players and coaches in locker room

- Tyrod

Mature, focus. Has seen a lot, worked butt off to get to where he is now. Made most of opportunity – faced criticism, but stayed steady. Intensity and focus every day – he’s seen everything, nothing’s going to be new to him at this point

- Learn from Week 1 tape

Negative plays. Don’t beat ourselves. Didn’t capitalize in red zone. Have enouh playmakers and guys working butts off, just can’t beat ourselves. Things to be excited and optimistic about

- Zay

Developing extremely well. Very very high ceiling. Size - tall enough to play outside and go up and get balls, and lean and fast enough to play inside and also get open against smaller corners. Extremely good finesse game – off the line, finding DB blind spots and breaking at right point – he’s great at that. Don’t think he realizes how big he is – I tell him those small corners don’t want to touch you once they see a bigger guy coming at them. Getting him more confident in physical side of game. Puts a lot of pressure on himself. See a lot of potential – also helps in run game, unselfish.

- Panthers

Great team defense. LBs get highlighted, besides Bills ( :rolleyes: ) think they are best LBing corps. Big corners – cover lot of space. These are type of games need to sustain long drives, make tough 3rd down catches – but we’re embracing it.

thanks plenty stevewin !!

I have not heard the interview, but he sounds like a character guy that fits in nicely with what McD is trying to build. And he isn't devoid of talent. He doesn't have the same upside as Watkins, but if he can stay healthy and not be a negative distraction with his public comments, perhaps he may be a better fit than Watkins. While I think that many of Sammy's past comments were overblown, it still isn't a good look when a millionaire athlete comes out publicly to talk about being underpaid, or calling the fans stupid. While I realize that Matthews wasn't traded one-for-one for Sammy, with one WR and one CB being shipped out and another WR and another CB (along with two fairly high draft picks, of course), coming back on the same day, it is functionally a swap.

Edited by msw2112

I have not heard the interview, but he sounds like a character guy that fits in nicely with what McD is trying to build. And he isn't devoid of talent. He doesn't have the same upside as Watkins, but if he can stay healthy and not be a negative distraction with his public comments, perhaps he may be a better fit than Watkins. While I think that many of Sammy's past comments were overblown, it still isn't a good look when a millionaire athlete comes out publicly to talk about being underpaid or calling the fans stupid. While I realize that he wasn't traded one-for-one for Sammy, with one WR and one CB being shipped out and another WR and another CB (along with two fairly high draft picks, of course), coming back on the same day, it is functionally a swap.

I think he has the potential to be a #1. He also is clearly a leader. His decription of Zay Jones is very indepth and shows he is willing to help a guy he met a few weeks ago.

I think he has the potential to be a #1. He also is clearly a leader. His decription of Zay Jones is very indepth and shows he is willing to help a guy he met a few weeks ago.

He is and never will be a number one.

He's an average receiver...nothing more.

He seems like a great dude but if he is your #1 wr, unless you have Tom Brady, you're in trouble. Philly couldn't wait to replace him as a #1.

I hope Matthews can come close to matching Sammy's production now that he is on the field. I feel it's very possible the Bills sign him to a new contract after the season.

Matthews has been durable and played in one of the most pass happy offenses in the NFL. However, he does no challenge defenses vertically.

It's weird. We have gone from an offense that defenses had to game plan to stop long passes to one that has little speed and is a precision passing attack. I think when you have a RB like McCoy, you want to keep guys out of the box and worry that with our lack of speed, teams are going to start stacking the box.

He is and never will be a number one.

He's an average receiver...nothing more.

Matthews is one of I believe five receivers in nfl history to have 60+ and 800+ yards in his first three years.

He might not be a prototypical #1, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's average.

Edit

Matthews is one of only five players in NFL history to record 65-plus receptions and 800-plus receiving yards in each of their first three seasons, joining Odell Beckham Jr. (2014-16), Mike Evans (2014-16), A.J. Green (2011-13) and Randy Moss (1998-2000).

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/08/11/six-things-to-know-about-new-bills-receiver-jordan-matthews/

Not bad company for an average receiver.

Edited by elroy16

I like this guy better then Watkins, seems to be a good non-crybaby type

Plus his RAC last week. It's been a while since a bills WR has done that.

Matthews is one of I believe five receivers in nfl history to have 60+ and 800+ yards in his first three years.

He might not be a prototypical #1, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's average.

Edit

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/08/11/six-things-to-know-about-new-bills-receiver-jordan-matthews/

Not bad company for an average receiver.

The same folks pointing to Julio Jones first 3 years to vindicate Sammys lack of production should take note of this.

When history is recorded it very well may turn out that they upgraded to the better WR from that draft.