So how much did Gillislee help the Pats*** last night?

eball

Fantasy players will be crowing about 3 TDs, but the truth is they were all pretty straightforward runs from 2 yds out and in all likelihood it just as easily could have been any other back who was in the game that got them - his number happened to be called

Edited by stevewin

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantasy players (and some Whaley haters) will be crowing about 3 TDs, but the truth is they were all pretty straightforward runs from 2 yds out and in all likelihood it just as easily could have been any other back who was in the game that got them - his number happened to be called

pretty much. maybe on only 1 of those TD's could you say he actually did anything by getting the extra push to cross the goal line. Mike G wasn't breaking 40, 50, 60yd runs last night for TD's. But I guess that's the inner ex-girlfriend in me.

Hopefully he continues to get in consistently otherwise you might see too many 4-5 point games from him. Always very risky playing New England RB's.

This is true. Some times the FF gods smile upon you, as with me last night. :thumbsup:

young rookie RB's are a dime a dozen. overpaying for a RB in today's NFL is dumb. Gilleslee, Karlos Williams, Jonathan Williams...doesn't matter who we have out there it would seem. one thing that would define each of the Bills teams throughout the drought is we always had a top name RB on the roster because we assumed we needed it because we didn't have a QB. look at players like Ajayi and Hunt and the kind of value they bring to the table. you don't need to overpay for RB's to get solid production

I agree that you don't need to overpay, but disagree that GOOD young rookie RB's are a dime a dozen. Ajayi and Hunt are two examples. There are a lot more Jonathan Williams than Jay Ajayi's out there.

Gillislee is good. He just scored 3 tds and didn't even seem to be used correctly. He really shouldn't be compared to either Williams, neither of which may have a future. I guarantee he will have a better year than Joe Banyard...

Point is that there are a lot of decent running backs and system guys, but it's really not as simple as just plugging anybody in. There's still tremendous value in having a legitimately good running back.

I agree that you don't need to overpay, but disagree that GOOD young rookie RB's are a dime a dozen. Ajayi and Hunt are two examples. There are a lot more Jonathan Williams than Jay Ajayi's out there.

Gillislee is good. He just scored 3 tds and didn't even seem to be used correctly. He really shouldn't be compared to either Williams, neither of which may have a future. I guarantee he will have a better year than Joe Banyard...

Point is that there are a lot of decent running backs and system guys, but it's really not as simple as just plugging anybody in. There's still tremendous value in having a legitimately good running back.

He'll have a better year than Banyard because he's in a better offense. I liked what I saw from Banyard in pre-season; be interesting to see how he does going forward.

To me, he looked very good in that offense. Looked like they incorporated new (for NE) running play concepts for MG, which looked similar to some of Lynn's off-tackle plays last year. He's a patient runner - he drifts towards the tackle, waits for a seam, and then explodes. IMO he'd be PERFECT for the Dennison scheme.

MG is little more than Blount at 3 times the price. Except that MG is not a #1 RB and never will be.

I'm a huge MG fan, but I'd take Blount over him any day of the week.

I'm happy for MG and I thought he looked great last night.

I was personally surprised that they didn't QB sneak on one of those two short conversions. Brady's conversion rate on those is pretty damn good. Never understood why teams prefer having a RB start from 8yds back from LOS to gain half a yard when the QB is right there and can just fall forward; especially a QB as big as Brady.

Excellent point, Brady is money on QB sneaks, especially on quick snaps which he is master at, walk up to the LOS and before the defense knows what hit them Pats have a 1st down..

And I agree with another poster, 95% of NFL RBs make those TD, Gillislee got the glory but really did nothing extraordinary.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Obviously he scored three short yardage TDs which is fantastic, but I think there's a reasonable argument his failure to convert two 4th-and-shorts caused more of a negative impact overall. Curious to hear others' thoughts and not looking for snark. I know three TDs are three TDs -- I just think converting those 4th downs would have significantly changed the flow of the game.

Casting anything negative upon a player scoring 3 touchdowns is hilarious.

Fantasy players will be crowing about 3 TDs, but the truth is they were all pretty straightforward runs from 2 yds out and in all likelihood it just as easily could have been any other back who was in the game that got them - his number happened to be called

Yes, Burkhead very easily could have gotten those TDs and I would be a much happier guy. :censored:

Maybe his number called didnt just happen, maybe it was Belichek rubbing in in the face of the Bills