So how much did Gillislee help the Pats*** last night?

eball

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously he scored three short yardage TDs which is fantastic, but I think there's a reasonable argument his failure to convert two 4th-and-shorts caused more of a negative impact overall. Curious to hear others' thoughts and not looking for snark. I know three TDs are three TDs -- I just think converting those 4th downs would have significantly changed the flow of the game.

Ok, can people first please acknowledge that its NOT on the RB nearly as much as it is on the OL to pick up short yardage up the middle? NEITHER of those failed attempts were on MG, and don't get me wrong I loved both failures. But this is just football basics 101...a RB can't run through an opening that is NOT there. People forget the Chiefs D was stout and while some people, including myself, felt a potential drop off on D could loom this year for the Chiefs because they lost a couple of key pieces, they came out and showed there are still a talented unit.

Chiefs completely stuffed the hole, but you guys talk about it as if MG missed a hole which just isn't true. 4th and short up the middle is 100% about the battle in the trenches...the only time it matters with the RB is either A) The OL makes room and the RB misses the hole (which didn't happen last night) or B) The RB makes some kind of super athletic play where he leaps over the pile, but in almost all cases like that its by design and last night those plays were both called for the RB to secure the ball and truck his way through the hole...except the Chiefs didn't allow a hole.

MG had a great game, was running well everywhere and showed great patience finding holes. The 4th and short attempts had literally ZERO to do with him and the Chiefs just blew the line up and didn't allow an opening for him to get through. In fact, the Pats run game overall looks very dangerous this year as they have 4 legit threats at RB to keep rotating to keep fresh legs in MG, White, Dixon, and Rex. All great fits for that team.

Pats biggest issues was losing Amendola last night...wheels fell off after Brady lost his 2nd security blanket (Edelman and Amendola). They struggled more once he went down.

GLORIOUS NIGHT!

Ok, can people first please acknowledge that its NOT on the RB nearly as much as it is on the OL to pick up short yardage up the middle? NEITHER of those failed attempts were on MG, and don't get me wrong I loved both failures. But this is just football basics 101...a RB can't run through an opening that is NOT there. People forget the Chiefs D was stout and while some people, including myself, felt a potential drop off on D could loom this year for the Chiefs because they lost a couple of key pieces, they came out and showed there are still a talented unit.

Chiefs completely stuffed the hole, but you guys talk about it as if MG missed a hole which just isn't true. 4th and short up the middle is 100% about the battle in the trenches...the only time it matters with the RB is either A) The OL makes room and the RB misses the hole (which didn't happen last night) or B) The RB makes some kind of super athletic play where he leaps over the pile, but in almost all cases like that its by design and last night those plays were both called for the RB to secure the ball and truck his way through the hole...except the Chiefs didn't allow a hole.

MG had a great game, was running well everywhere and showed great patience finding holes. The 4th and short attempts had literally ZERO to do with him and the Chiefs just blew the line up and didn't allow an opening for him to get through. In fact, the Pats run game overall looks very dangerous this year as they have 4 legit threats at RB to keep rotating to keep fresh legs in MG, White, Dixon, and Rex. All great fits for that team.

Pats biggest issues was losing Amendola last night...wheels fell off after Brady lost his 2nd security blanket (Edelman and Amendola). They struggled more once he went down.

GLORIOUS NIGHT!

+1000.

I'll add again that they were horrible play calls. Marrone-ball if I ever saw it.

I have Gilly in three fantasy leagues and I'm concerned. 3 TDs was great, but he came up short on two 4th downs. The second time he came up short and Burkhead handled the next series. Gilly looked slow on one or two of his carries I thought. I am strongly considering trading him.

GLORIOUS NIGHT!

Yes the Oline didnt get any push on the 4th and short. The Oline did open holes on the short TD runs so basically it comes down to the Oline. MG scored the TD's when called on but their other RB's could have done the same.The Oline also opened up a lot of decent holes for all the NE RB's

+1000.

I'll add again that they were horrible play calls. Marrone-ball if I ever saw it.

Totally agree. Surprising that they went with the same (or very similar) call both times. The TD runs looks more like off-tackle, which is where the RB can provide more value IMO. Great job by the Chiefs' D. They clogged the A gaps to prevent the sneak, and then the Patriots just ran directly into the clogged area. Still, you'd expect any O-line to let the RB get to the line of scrimmage and fall forward.

To repeat, Blount wouldn't have gotten first downs on those plays either.

Agree with this as well. Beast Mode is about the only guy I can think of who might've picked up those first downs. I think he got one for us in his first ever game, if I recall correctly. Lost his hat on the play.

I will echo my thoughts from last night:

Kareem Hunt was significantly better than Gillislee in that game. If BB hadn't traded away his whole draft he could have had him on a rookie deal for 4 years instead of paying Mike AND giving up a pick ...when he already had 4 RBs including one who had 4 TDs in the SB and one who had 18 TDs last year. I like MG but they could have given any of their RBs the ball on the 1 yard line and same result. And the end of the day he had 45 yards and couldn't convert critical downs.

This is the most correct post in the post-BBMB history of TBD (aka - the Zombie Apocalypse)

Obviously he scored three short yardage TDs which is fantastic, but I think there's a reasonable argument his failure to convert two 4th-and-shorts caused more of a negative impact overall. Curious to hear others' thoughts and not looking for snark. I know three TDs are three TDs -- I just think converting those 4th downs would have significantly changed the flow of the game.

He's "Touchdown Mike," not "First Down Mike." ;-)

+1000.

Yeah, very un BB like to be honest. Both plays looked very predictable and I would have expected BB to adjust and pull out a little more creative one on the 2nd attempt. Although, to be fair, most the game the OL was doing a good job of getting some holes to run through like on all the goal line TDs, so they had reason to have confidence, but just used to Pats being a little more creative in that spot on a critical 4th and short.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Gillislee did not "fail" on those fourth and ones. Kareem Hunt, Blount, and whoever else would have failed on those plays too. They were bad play calls and the key o-linemen lost their battles. They are failed plays, not failed runs.

I hear you, Dave -- I think the bigger point is that MG only rushed for 40-some yards and his TDs appeared to me to be the result of blocking and holes any RB would find. A "difference-maker" type of RB takes poor blocking and still finds a way to make something happen.

Totally agree. Surprising that they went with the same (or very similar) call both times. The TD runs looks more like off-tackle, which is where the RB can provide more value IMO. Great job by the Chiefs' D. They clogged the A gaps to prevent the sneak, and then the Patriots just ran directly into the clogged area. Still, you'd expect any O-line to let the RB get to the line of scrimmage and fall forward.

Agree with this as well. Beast Mode is about the only guy I can think of who might've picked up those first downs. I think he got one for us in his first ever game, if I recall correctly. Lost his hat on the play.

Beast mode isn't as effective there as his legend persists. In fact, in the SB when people freaked out on how that would have been a gimme for Beast Mode, he was actually 1 for 4 attempts on the season at that point, so no gimme at all. Again, it literally has almost nothing to do with the RB. There is either a hole or not, no RB can make their own hole in a massive pile of of 14 men weighing an average of 280 plus pounds lol.

I hear you, Dave -- I think the bigger point is that MG only rushed for 40-some yards and his TDs appeared to me to be the result of blocking and holes any RB would find. A "difference-maker" type of RB takes poor blocking and still finds a way to make something happen.

While I agree with this, was MG brought there to be their feature back and be expected to "make his own holes?"

Those RBs are not common. I don't think anyone thought of MG as that kind of back whilst in Buffalo.