• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How Billsy is this.

Jets claim him, Start him Sunday, and he goes off on this defense

Oh. So no one is able to pick him up till tomorrow? So the players that are being picked up now are some sort of different designation or something?

They were cut yesterday and cleared waivers today at noon

eveyone hated him 3 months ago. It was like me and John from Hemet saying give the poor kid a chance. Now it's like the team is tanking because he got beat out for the job.

I noticed that too. It's all Sammy's fault, if he would've panned out, he'd still be on the team and his fans wouldn't be losing their minds.

Actually they are about $6.9 million a dozen. We really need to update that cliche.

I guess. And funny how much back up running backs are getting these days considering people were claiming that the running back position had become devalued. The starting running back position, that is. Never mind backup RB.

In McBeane You Trust?

Yep.

Do I have a choice? And again, we're talking about a back up running back. If they cut Shady...

Shady won't get cut. I don't see him gone in the offseason unless we get a hell of an offer. Gives the Rookie QB someone really good to hand off to.

Bills fans are funny. We let a highly productive back go to a division rival and most of the board doesn't care. We cut a JAG who's done nothing and the plane is crashing into the mountain. At least this place is entertaining.

What are you talking about? There was a 200 page on MG.

And MG didn't do a thing before his 2nd year either. That's the point.

Do I have a choice? And again, we're talking about a back up running back. If they cut Shady...

Of course you do. None of us have to buy into every decision they make. That doesn't mean you can't hope for the best and we're talking about a backup RB who showed a great deal of improvement with the potential to be a starter in the future. I think many forget his pre-injury college career.

Dang i just got home from a road trip & saw the news about JW, It's strange cause all the coaches were talking positive about him all summer. He will get picked up and prob get a decent shot at showing his skills now healthy. So Mike T over JW...LMFAO, shady has his injuries every year & woulda like to see someone young tote the rock.

I don't relish the role of Devil's/Beane's Advocate but I don't get all the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over Jonathon Williams.

Last year, the guy averaged a mere 3.5 yard per carry whereas our top two backs running the same plays behind the same line averaged over 5.0 yards per carry.

This year in preseason - often against 2nd teamers - JW performed better. But I didn't see anything special in him and our coaching staff obviously felt he was out-competed by the other backs in camp.

Presumably the Bills shopped JW before waiving him but couldn't even get a 7th round pick for him because none of the other 31 clubs saw anything special in him either.

Yet his release inspires 29 pages of apoplectic condemnation???

Edited by hondo in seattle

Of course you do. None of us have to buy into every decision they make. That doesn't mean you can't hope for the best and we're talking about a backup RB who showed a great deal of improvement with the potential to be a starter in the future. I think many forget his pre-injury college career.

Well said

I don't relish the role of Devil's/Beane's Advocate but I don't get all the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over Jonathon Williams.

Last year, the guy averaged a mere 3.5 yard per carry whereas our top two backs running the same plays behind the same line averaged over 5.0 yards per carry.

This year in preseason - often against 2nd teamers - JW performed better. But I didn't see anything special in him and our coaching staff obviously felt he was out-competed by the other backs in camp.

Presumably the Bills shopped JW before waiving him but couldn't even get a 7th round pick for him because none of the other 31 clubs saw anything special in him either.

Yet his release inspires 29 pages of apoplectic condemnation???

Last year is last year with him showing much improved quickness, decision making, and burst in camp and preseason games. Young and on his rookie deal for three more seasons including this one. It just does not add up especially when considering the age of those kept instead of him.

Ah yes...nothing says Hope like the annual early December playoff race graphic with the usual 'In the Hunt' suspects:

Chiefs: 8-4

Ravens: 7-5

Dolphins 7-5

Titans: 6-6

Bills: 6-6

We won't be 6-6 in December this year my friend. Maybe 4-8 or 3-9. The only hunt we'll be in is for a top 5 pick.

:thumbsup:

Again, I can't get excited over the backup RB position and I can't do anything to change things. And for all anyone knows, Banyard and Tolbert will do a fine job, just like Freddy, and then Karlos, and then Mike did.

I have steadfastly refused to say the #Bills are tanking. I may be revising my thought on this.

They won't have enough draft picks to fix this team with all the holes they are making.

...because they cut JWill? LOL!

Again, I can't get excited over the backup RB position and I can't do anything to change things. And for all anyone knows, Banyard and Tolbert will do a fine job, just like Freddy, and then Karlos, and then Mike did.

Because they let MIke G. Walk!?

Because they didn't resign Gilmore!?

Because they traded the always injured Sammy!?

Because they traded Darby who is coming off a down year!?

Because Boldin signed then retired!?

Because they kept Vlad!?

Each move by itself isn't an indication of a tank but all of those combined is getting harder and harder to make sense of.

Last year is last year with him showing much improved quickness, decision making, and burst in camp and preseason games. Young and on his rookie deal for three more seasons including this one. It just does not add up especially when considering the age of those kept instead of him.

That was the narrative... Last year he was slowed by injury but this year he's going to have a breakout season. I just never bought that narrative.

JW's age doesn't matter if he's actually just-a-guy. Three more seasons as a 2nd/3rd stringer at a bargain rate on a rookie contract - not sure I see the immense appeal in that.

26CB ~ you're a guy I read carefully because you're a knowledgeable fan with an eye for talent. But all I saw was a JAG. If our coaches with their years of experience think the other backs will help the Bills more, then so be it and good luck to Jonathon in some other team's colors.

Joe Banyard beat out Jonathon Williams for a roster spot. We can either bemoan the loss of Williams or celebrate the accomplishment of the unheralded Banyard. I choose the latter. I just don't see that losing JW is going to hurt our W-L record in the slightest. Not this season, or any future season.

To quote one of the sports writer, folks are apologetic over a backup RB as if the Bills just cut Jim Brown, a player who may not get picked up by another team. No longer will I defend Bills fans as savvy and knowledgeable, the trolls have gone off the deep end . . .

That was the narrative... Last year he was slowed by injury but this year he's going to have a breakout season. I just never bought that narrative.

JW's age doesn't matter if he's actually just-a-guy. Three more seasons as a 2nd/3rd stringer at a bargain rate on a rookie contract - not sure I see the immense appeal in that.

26CB ~ you're a guy I read carefully because you're a knowledgeable fan with an eye for talent. But all I saw was a JAG. If our coaches with their years of experience think the other backs will help the Bills more, then so be it and good luck to Jonathon in some other team's colors.

Joe Banyard beat out Jonathon Williams for a roster spot. We can either bemoan the loss of Williams or celebrate the accomplishment of the unheralded Banyard. I choose the latter. I just don't see that losing JW is going to hurt our W-L record in the slightest. Not this season, or any future season.

We definitely see this one differently and it's all good. :thumbsup:

26 is going down with the ship no matter how much water it takes. Too many fans dig in on indefensible positions and bring down the entire website with their intransigence. Sad!

26 is going down with the ship no matter how much water it takes. Too many fans dig in on indefensible positions and bring down the entire website with their intransigence. Sad!

The only one taking on water is you with defenses of Vlad Ducasse and the invention of nonexistent issues with Jonathan Williams to support a poor personnel decision. Carry on.

Hey have lost the locker room. Guarantied.

How would you possibly know that?

The only one taking on water is you with defenses of Vlad Ducasse and the invention of nonexistent issues with Jonathan Williams to support a poor personnel decision. Carry on.

I have never said a word about VD. You and I know nothing about what goes into the team's decision making. I readily admit that, while you fantasize that you are on the team.

Because they let MIke G. Walk!?

Because they didn't resign Gilmore!?

Because they traded the always injured Sammy!?

Because they traded Darby who is coming off a down year!?

Because Boldin signed then retired!?

Because they kept Vlad!?

Each move by itself isn't an indication of a tank but all of those combined is getting harder and harder to make sense of.

By prefacing Sammy with "always injured" and qualifying Darby with "who is coming off a down year," in lieu of MG also being a backup RB, Boldin having barely been here, and Vlad being kept but not necessarily as a starter, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not.

I have a feeling we are going to look back and wonder why it was we:

(1) cut Jonathan Williams to keep a 31 year old fullback;

(2) traded Reggie Ragland for basically nothing

(3) traded Darby and replaced him with a guy (in the Watkins trade) who is a back up and has one year left on his contract.

Edited by Peter

I have a feeling we are going to look back and wonder why it was we:

(1) cut Jonathan Williams to keep a 31 year old fullback;

(2) traded Reggie Ragland for basically nothing

(3) traded Darby and replaced him with a guy (n the Watkins trade) who is a back up and has one year left on his contract.

You just did.

Should've given someone else a chance.

lol you guys sure are losing your **** over a 5th round RB who hasn't done jack squat on the field.

Beane baaaaaad

Wouldn't a "tank" also mean cutting productive veterans for unproven young players?

No offense, but if you don't think every or any veteran on this team can't be had for the right price, then you're naive. There's likely just no takers. TT would command a 1st or a 2nd, but why would any team want him for that at this point? Dareus is untradeable due to his contract. Kyle Williams is old and would likely retire if traded. McCoy may yet get traded...stay tuned. Given Glenn's injury history, I'm sure they would love to unload him.

As for trading vets for youngsters, apparently that's not how it's done. The Sabres loaded up middle-aged vets, then jettisoned them after the tank years. You don't want young, impressionable players around while you're purposely losing. Bad for their development.

Edited by Saint Doug