National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a non story.

We have a winner.

If the author didn't find the need to make this yet another story about something no one really cares about -- while using the opportunity to point out what he considers a bunch of disgusting pigs at OBD -- it wouldn't be a story.

It's only a story because the author has to make it a story so people will click the bait and rile each other up while he points out to his bosses how popular his non-story is.

Just that simple. You'd all do well not to take his bait.

Edited by LABillzFan

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

You sound like a real meathead. Were you the moron who yelled at him during the anthem?

I don't like it, or agree with the grandstanding aspect of it. I find it disrespectful and quite frankly they are misappropriating their protest to "America", when they should be more focussed on crooked cops and the kkk, neither of which represent America.

That said, this is America. If you want to sit for the anthem, fine. It's your right, and I encourage people to do what they believe is right.

But I reserve my right to hate you for it.

16 td to 4 int on the worst offensive team in the NFL. He could be our starter.

I get people don't like him. But if you don't think he is one of the best 40 qbs, you're a liar.

Welcome to life. Be good-great at something and you get the benefit of the doubt. Be mediocre-bad and you're replacement is soon behind.

Are you missing the comments from those that have actually served this country?

this is a complete horseshit type of viewpoint. Because someone is a veteran or a boy scout or not any of those he has absolutely no less or more of a voice in this country. Holding someones viewpoint sacred is the biggest part of this argument.

Because, if you're gonna play that card go see Jim Brown's statements. What's so different about his to a veteran?

Being a veteran earns you no more luxury to free speech than one who opposes it.

#murica

I read some other thoughts on Jim Brown. This guy should definitely be giving people advice:

In 1965, Brown was arrested in his hotel room for assault and battery against an 18-year-old named Brenda Ayres; he was later acquitted on the charges.[34] A year later, he fought paternity allegations that he fathered Brenda Ayres' child. In 1968, Brown was charged with assault with intent to commit murder after model Eva Bohn-Chin was found beneath the balcony of Brown's second-floor apartment.[35] The charges were later dismissed after Bohn-Chin refused to cooperate with the prosecutor's office. Brown was also ordered to pay a $300 fine for striking a deputy sheriff involved in the investigation during the incident. In Brown's autobiography, he stated that that Bohn-Chin was angry and jealous over an affair he had been having with Gloria Steinem and this argument is what led to the "misunderstanding with the police."[36]

In 1970, Brown was found not guilty of assault and battery, the charges stemming from a road-rage incident that had occurred in 1969. In 1975, Brown was sentenced to one day in prison and two years probation, and to pay a fine of $500 for beating and choking his golfing partner Frank Snow.[37] In 1985, Brown was charged with raping a 33-year-old woman.[38] The charges were later dismissed.[39] In 1986, Brown was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend Debra Clark. Clark refused to press charges, though, and Brown was released.[40] In 1999, Brown was arrested and charged with making terrorist threats toward his wife. Later that year, he was found guilty of vandalism for smashing his wife's car with a shovel.[41] He was sentenced to three years' probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and 400 hours of community service or 40 hours on a work crew along with a $1,800 fine.[42] Brown ignored the terms of his sentence, and in 2000 was sentenced to six months in jail for refusing the court-ordered counseling and community service. He was released after 3 months.[43][44][45]

Cross-posted from another thread:

I'd say that Jim Brown is a human being with warts and flaws just like the rest of us, and that he has done some bad things in the past.

I'd also so that that his work with youth trying to escape the gang life has probably impacted more lives in a life-changing positive way than his prior transgressions did negatively.

I'm curious though, why that matters. Are you trying to say that Jim Brown's opinion doesn't matter because of unrelated things in his past?

If that's the case, can you please give me your comprehensive list of sins that disqualifies you from being heard, nullifying the value of your position on other matters.

If not, I'd like to know what the point of bringing Jim Brown's past into the matter has to do with this specific argument, other than an attempt to engage in logical fallacy by Poisoning the Well, silencing dissent through character assassination.

We have it for sporting events to show that it is our country and that we honor those that died to give grown men the right to play a children's game and get millions for it.

I believe most players have stated this has nothing to do with the military. Kaepernick sat at first (for 2 games before the media picked up on it). Then after speaking to someone who served in the military began kneeling.

I get why people get outraged by not respecting the anthem. I also know people have supported players who hit women and do a lot worse than kneel silently. How can people justify that? And I also know some of these people angry at the protestors would have told people in the civil rights movement to stop it and stay in their place.

I stand for the anthem and love this country. I couldn't care less what other people do. That's what America was founded on. Instead of complaining, do what you can to make the country better. It's also troubling that more fans would be ok with Joe Mixon on their team than Kaepernick. How do you explain that to your kids?

I stand every time, and make sure my kids do. But if someone else doesn't then that's their call. I disagree with them, but they have to right to do what they want. Freedom of expression. Freedom of speech.

That's what momma always said. Set the example for you and yours and you won't have time to worry about them and theirs.

I stand every time, and make sure my kids do. But if someone else doesn't then that's their call. I disagree with them, but they have to right to do what they want. Freedom of expression. Freedom of speech.

Good post.

Honest question here. Do people stand every time the anthem is played? Like watching the game at home or when PBS signs off?

Obviously not many Cub or Boy Scouts around here. That is where you learn these things

Eagle scout here. I'd agree that Scouting taught me more about being respectful and appreciating what our military and country does for us. The flag is a representation of the Country, but I'd argue that respect does not equal standing silently and doing nothing. Unless the players are actively acting in an anti-US manner, a respectful protest is the most American thing someone can do, particularly when that protest is to stand up for the disenfranchised. Silently accepting the status quo of social injustice and economic inquality in the US is more insulting to this country that protesting against it.

So what if it is happening during the anthem? The players aren't saying that they hate the country, the military, or the flag - they are trying to call attention to the fact that the virtues we claim to uphold, the good that the flag represents, are not being shared with everyone living here. In this way, the anthem is the best time to make this protest - it really drives home the point that not everyone in the US is able to truly live the American Dream.

True story.

Contrary to what the WN, kkk, or antifa believe, this IS a free country with freedom of expression. Especially unpopular views, which is why it's there.

I don't tell people what to say or think, because I surely don't expect them to tell me what to think and say.

Nailed it.

What a non story. I served and continue to serve, in no way am I slighted if a guy kneels, drinks, keeps his hat on, etc. The media pushes it because it's a story, lazy journalism if you ask me.

And blind allegiance to a country shouldn't be forced. You don't force people to put their hands over their hearts or remove their hats. That's not a democracy. Start yelling and shouting, then we have a problem but other than that leave people be.

Thank You for your statement and your service..

I was a public servant in DC for 18 years, now work in a Hospital serving the underserved. My Dad was a EOD Frogman, yet protested the Vietnam War... I serve and he served to help people excercise their rights to free speech. If the Supreme Court can rule that money constitutes free speech in political campaigns wth are you folks so upset abt others exercising their right. Agree or think its attention seeking doesn't matter. The actual issue folks are concerned about should be what discussion is about, not the way folks choose to address those issues.

Until we live in a place like Russia or North Korea, blind genuflecting to flag is a means of survival, standing sitting or fist in the air is not in insult to my belief in this country. In fact it strengthens my belief in its diversity and ideals. This country is based on ideas, not symbols and if symbols become what this country is about without the abilty to question them, then we have a bigger problem.

Edited by North Buffalo

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

Don't worry Bro. If he is 3rd on a depth chart at any position on the offensive line of the Buffalo Bills, you can bet your last dollar that he sucks and that his NFL future is dim to say the least.

I believe most players have stated this has nothing to do with the military. Kaepernick sat at first (for 2 games before the media picked up on it). Then after speaking to someone who served in the military began kneeling.

I get why people get outraged by not respecting the anthem. I also know people have supported players who hit women and do a lot worse than kneel silently. How can people justify that? And I also know some of these people angry at the protestors would have told people in the civil rights movement to stop it and stay in their place.

I stand for the anthem and love this country. I couldn't care less what other people do. That's what America was founded on. Instead of complaining, do what you can to make the country better. It's also troubling that more fans would be ok with Joe Mixon on their team than Kaepernick. How do you explain that to your kids?

because people are people. what else is there to explain?

I am actually surprised that this offends so many people (although I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore). The 1st amendment is the most important right that we have. That's what makes America.

At the same time not everyone has the same experience and perception of the country. We don't need to blindly follow something because others do. You have the right to protest the anthem. You have the right to protest confederate statues. You have the right to protest immigration. You have the right to protest police brutality. You have the right to protest DACA. You have the right to protest the president. The most important part is that "you have the right." Anyone that wants to censor that or complain about that is missing the most fundamental element of our society.