Looks Like DeShone Kizer is Going to Be the Browns Starter

I think this is very far off but I guess we'll see. I thought they wasted their picks last year. Peppers and Kizer don't seem like NFL players to me but you never know.

Ogbah, Nassib, Collins and Garret is a formidable pass rush. They signed Zeitler, Tretter and re-signed Bitonio. That OL is one of the best in the league. They have speed in Coleman and Njoku. Crowell averaged 4.8 YPC behind a worse line and Duke Johnson caught 53 balls as the 3rd down back. I'm not a Peppers fan (as anything but a returner) but he is elite there. What is it that you think is off-base? What about my assement is very far off?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1.

Ideal situation would be the Browns getting the number 1 pick and Kizer having shown signs of being the guy. Then they would feel comfortable trading down with a team that could give them a bunch of picks...

But we don't need to be that team. If we were one player away then sure trade all the picks, but we are not one player away. By draft time we will need a QB,a slew of OL talent, CB talent again, another WR, a TE, backup HB, more pass rushers. We will need way to much to spend a bunch of picks on one guy. Hopefully Miliano will turn into something great to eventually replace Lorax and we won't need to look for talent there, but will definitely need depth.

But we don't need to be that team. If we were one player away then sure trade all the picks, but we are not one player away. By draft time we will need a QB,a slew of OL talent, CB talent again, another WR, a TE, backup HB, more pass rushers. We will need way to much to spend a bunch of picks on one guy. Hopefully Miliano will turn into something great to eventually replace Lorax and we won't need to look for talent there, but will definitely need depth.

If a franchise QB is sitting there, then yes, we do need to be that team. Get the QB, it is all that matters. Then build around him.

Edited by SWATeam

I like what they are doing in Cleveland. There's a lot of talent on that roster it's just young. I said it the other day but I'd trade the Bills roster for the Browns all day. They have a really good OL, a few stud pass rushers, young stud WR and TE, a good RB, and a young QB with a chance. Additionally they have a bunch more draft picks to use. If Kizer is the guy they are on their way. They will be able to use their picks on a stud CB, another LB and one more weapon.

They've got some players on their roster. But, they still have to play as a team. They didn't do that last year. And until they do, I don't understand how anyone would rather be them. They certainly haven't been fun to watch unless you were rooting against them. :lol:

The Browns won't suck as bad as last year - hard to go all year and win only one game. I still expect the Bills to be better than Cleveland this year though.

If a franchise QB is sitting there, then yes, we do need to be that team. Get the QB, it is all that matters. Then build around him.

I'm not saying you don't get a QB. I just wouldn't use all of our ammo to do it. There's just way too many needs on this team after this year, QB definitely being one of them. Although, I'd want to know what shape we are in with Peterman to see if he can be the guy before committing to the statement that we'll need a franchise QB. But we might not get a chance to see.

Edited by NewEraBills

Big Notre Dame fan and watching him over two years there he reminded me a lot of E.J, Manuel. Big, good arm, athletic but just made a lot of bad throws and poor decisions. That said, I wasnt high on him coming out.. We will see I suppose.

I will say I love what the Browns have done over the last few years. I was actually excited to watch them Monday and I never watch NFL Preseason outside of the Bills. They were fun to watch on defense, really flying around. Peppers looks like a good pick as well.

I see EJ Manuel as well but with more arm strength. Don't see the ability to process info quickly and make good decisions with the ball. Beating out Osweiler is a very low bar.

They've got some players on their roster. But, they still have to play as a team. They didn't do that last year. And until they do, I don't understand how anyone would rather be them. They certainly haven't been fun to watch unless you were rooting against them. :lol:

The Browns won't suck as bad as last year - hard to go all year and win only one game. I still expect the Bills to be better than Cleveland this year though.

I'm not sure that they will be better than the Bills but I'd trade rosters. Their young talent is strong and their future is bright.

Even his coach at Notre Dame said he wasn't going to be ready to play in the NFL for a year or two...setting the man up to be like EJ

I'm not sure that they will be better than the Bills but I'd trade rosters. Their young talent is strong and their future is bright.

I wouldn't...this is a 4 win team max this year...they had D III level talent last year...gonna take a while before they become anything but bottom feeders...same for the Jets this year

Edited by matter2003

Damn! Brock is about to be toast in Cleveland. No need to risk him getting injured.

@AdamSchefter

This is interesting: Cleveland QB Brock Osweiler is not expected to play in the Browns' third preseason game, per sources.

Not interesting at all...sources were saying he was getting cut as soon as he was traded and the Browns just wanted the 2nd round pick for him...had plenty of cap room so that didn't make any difference to them...

Even his coach at Notre Dame said he wasn't going to be ready to play in the NFL for a year or two...setting the man up to be like EJ

I wouldn't...this is a 4 win team max this year...they had D III level talent last year...gonna take a while before they become anything but bottom feeders...same for the Jets this year

I guess this is where I disagree with some. I don't care if they win 4 and we win 6. Their talent is 25 and under, ours is 30. Edited by Kirby Jackson

+1.

Ideal situation would be the Browns getting the number 1 pick and Kizer having shown signs of being the guy. Then they would feel comfortable trading down with a team that could give them a bunch of picks...

Exactly. They love picks in Cleveland. They cud go from 12 picks to 15 if they have the 1st overall pick next yr.

Not interesting at all...sources were saying he was getting cut as soon as he was traded and the Browns just wanted the 2nd round pick for him...had plenty of cap room so that didn't make any difference to them...

i don't think they will cut him. He's awful but they are trying to keep him healthy in case anyone is desperate enough to trade for him (Jax? Ravens?). Kizer starting just means he's the first one to IR. Brock was so bad there is no way he could be named starter with a straight face. It was like Cassel in 2015.

@tompelissero

#Browns continued to make calls about trading Brock Osweiler before and after start of training camp, per sources. Keeping options open.

#Browns dont plan to play Osweiler on Saturday (as @AdamSchefter said). Focused on giving DeShone Kizer his shot. Week 1 starter undecided.

Remember: When #Browns acquired Osweiler in March, they immediately tried to trade him, offered to eat half his $16M salary. Tough to deal.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Kizer has no long term future in the NFL. But hey if he shows a little something his rookie year I could see the Browns feeling comfortable trading down and selecting another QB in the 2nd or something like that. I bet there will be at least 2 teams in the top 4 who have no intention of selecting a QB.

:lol:

based on what?

Only to be outbid by the Houston Texans and he subsequently made up for it by spending a 1st round pick on Paxton Lynch who can't beat out Trevor Siemian. :sick:

And the Texans were so desperate to get rid of his salary that they gave the Browns a second rounder and a player to take him off their hands!!!

Big Notre Dame fan and watching him over two years there he reminded me a lot of E.J, Manuel. Big, good arm, athletic but just made a lot of bad throws and poor decisions. That said, I wasnt high on him coming out.. We will see I suppose.

I will say I love what the Browns have done over the last few years. I was actually excited to watch them Monday and I never watch NFL Preseason outside of the Bills. They were fun to watch on defense, really flying around. Peppers looks like a good pick as well.

Interesting, and I can see the shades of EJ. When I have watched him, the times he has played well, he reminds me a lot of Jameis Winston. His poise, throwing motion, arm talent, obviously size, and athleticism. You are right though. We shall see...he's just a kid.

Damn! Brock is about to be toast in Cleveland. No need to risk him getting injured.

@AdamSchefter

This is interesting: Cleveland QB Brock Osweiler is not expected to play in the Browns' third preseason game, per sources.

....rumors out there that they're trying to trade him to the Colts..........

Ogbah, Nassib, Collins and Garret is a formidable pass rush. They signed Zeitler, Tretter and re-signed Bitonio. That OL is one of the best in the league. They have speed in Coleman and Njoku. Crowell averaged 4.8 YPC behind a worse line and Duke Johnson caught 53 balls as the 3rd down back. I'm not a Peppers fan (as anything but a returner) but he is elite there. What is it that you think is off-base? What about my assement is very far off?

You're complimenting their offensive line and saying they have an elite kick returner. But you're also saying you'd trade our roster for theirs. That makes no sense to me. They just went 1-15 and I don't see how Peppers and Kizer are the ones to improve that record. They just keep collecting picks but they don't use them well. I feel much better about the Bills, we have a nice draft pick stock of our own too.

I would trade our coaching staff for Cleveland's mainly because I love Hue Jackson, but definitely not their roster.

Trevor Seimian won the Broncos starting job -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000832941/article/trevor-siemian-named-broncos-starting-quarterback

'Broncos coach Vance Joseph named Siemian his starting quarterback at a news conference Monday, saying Siemian was the "clear-cut winner" in his duel with Paxton Lynch.

"I was pleased with both guys, but overall the operation of the entire offense, the decision making, ball placement was more consistent with Trevor -- that's why he won the job," Joseph said. "I met with those guys this morning -- they understood that, we just finished our team meetings so everyone is on the same page. Weâre all going to support Paxton moving forward. He's a young player, he's got a bright future still and in my opinion we have two quarterbacks. Most teams you can't say that and I firmly believe that."

During the 2017 preseason, Siemian has completed 14-of-18 passing for 144 yards, 8.0 yards per attempt, with one touchdown, zero interceptions at a 118.5 passer rating. Lynch, meanwhile, has struggled to read defenses while going 15 of 22 for 81 yards, 3.7 YPA, zero touchdown passes or interceptions and a 74.2 passer rating.'

You're complimenting their offensive line and saying they have an elite kick returner. But you're also saying you'd trade our roster for theirs. That makes no sense to me. They just went 1-15 and I don't see how Peppers and Kizer are the ones to improve that record. They just keep collecting picks but they don't use them well. I feel much better about the Bills, we have a nice draft pick stock of our own too.

I would trade our coaching staff for Cleveland's mainly because I love Hue Jackson, but definitely not their roster.

I believe that the Bills may win 6 games. The Browns may win less. Their talent is on the way up while the Bills talent is on the way down. If neither team is contending I'd rather have the roster that is on the way up not on the way down. They will have an elite OL and an elite pass rush as soon as this year. They MAY have their QB as well. The Browns have a much better foundation to build upon than the Bills do. Who cares about 2017 of neither team is winning anyways?

+1.

nice insight ! Well done

Or Bills finish at 2-3 overall. Darnold and Rosen come out.

Browns pass on QB. Bills get pick of Darnold or Rosen.

Perfect scenario.

The browns can prove rebuilding works, if done right.

buffalo needs to follow this, IMO.

Much too soon to judge Count.

I guess this is where I disagree with some. I don't care if they win 4 and we win 6. Their talent is 25 and under, ours is 30.

You sure? The best player on that roster is Joe Thomas...last time I checked he was well into his 30s

Kizer looked really good the other night when he had time. The kid looks calm and poised, and has all the arm talent you look for. He took way to many hits though. That o-line was brutal against the Giants front 7.

and that and occasionally huge factor in developing a QB. More so in his his first and second season.

SM needs to show the same courage as Jackson. Clearly TT is not the long term answer. This offence suits Peterman, the sooner we know if he has a chance to be the man the better. If he blows we just end up with a better first round pick.

No, the ideal situation is the Chiefs bomb out the season and we earn the number 1 overall pick that we can then use on a QB and keep the rest of our picks to address other needs.

No The Ideal Ideal situation is both happen. and then we trade down for more picks while getting Darnold to commit.

Glass nearly overflowing type , am I.

Go Bills !

Only to be outbid by the Houston Texans and he subsequently made up for it by spending a 1st round pick on Paxton Lynch who can't beat out Trevor Siemian. :sick:

these true statements lessen our pain.

:beer::thumbsup::unsure:

ship jumper!!

perhaps it is easier to jump from ship to ship when neither of them have gotten out of Port and just sidle along each other, helm deep in the muck at lowtide

Only a couple ways I can fathom this being possible.

1) Kizer lights on fire early in the season having exceptional QB rating and prowess in the pocket leading the Browns to easily beat opponents. Then he gets a season ending injury in like game 4 or 5.

2) There ends up being so much parity in the league this year that the worst team in the NFL has as many as 4 or 5 wins.

Because if Kizer shows he is the guy and he doesn't get hurt, it is otherwise pretty much unfathomable how they could be bad enough to earn the dead last spot in the league.

Makes sense with Luck quite possibly out for week 1.

or who really knows how long really?

been the goal all along i might think. Would Colts pick up the bill ?

People thought we would sweep Miami and the jets last season too.

Decimated by injuries now, but Coaching is improving with Gase now.

On any Sunday.

I believe that the Bills may win 6 games. The Browns may win less. Their talent is on the way up while the Bills talent is on the way down. If neither team is contending I'd rather have the roster that is on the way up not on the way down. They will have an elite OL and an elite pass rush as soon as this year. They MAY have their QB as well. The Browns have a much better foundation to build upon than the Bills do. Who cares about 2017 of neither team is winning anyways?

This is an interesting discussion you are having with HappyDays. I think that if Kizer develops into a franchise qb in the next couple of years the Browns will definitely forge ahead of us. Their organization has accumulated good young players to the point of critical mass where their foundation is in place. I still think our new regime is in the process of culling the roster that was inherited, so from that standpoint of we are starting later in the rebuild process compared to the Browns.

The best thing that can happen to the Bills is for them to be in position to draft a good qb without having to deal off picks. If Beane can acquire his qb prospect without dealing his picks then next year if the draft is smartly handled the franchise should be able to an infusion of players to accelerate the rebuild process.

Would the situation be dramatically different and Whaley still be our GM if he was allowed to hire Hue Jackson, his preferred coach, instead of the owners hiring the buffoon Rex who did great damage? I say yes.