Is McDermott/Bean just Jauron/Levy II?

BADOLBILZ

When we hired McDermott and I learned more about him, my first thought was that he seems like a younger dick jauron.

Having said that, I believe McDermott is a bit more firey than jauron was. Also jauron was well past his prime. Ran the most simplistic, awful offense a coach could. I don't see that in McDermott

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not understanding how trading a 24 YO already good WR with HOF potential for an unknown rookie draft pick is doing what's best long term.

It was reported that the Rams were in discussions with the Bills about Watkins after we declined his team option. Beane wasn't here yet so McDermott was at least thinking it over. Maybe Beane made the final decision, but either way this will go down as close to as dumb a trade as the Peters/Lynch ones if Goff emerges.

When Sammy does put up big numbers, Bills fans will continue with the excuse "well he wasn't signing here anyway!"

I sincerely hope Pegula wasn't the deciding factor. Shame if he was. The guy should know he's clueless by now.

Whoa. This trade's got you feelin some type of way, huh? We weren't talking about whether it was a good one or not, just the mechanics behind it.

Unless McD was on board from the start and Pegula didnt need to be the deciding vote, but that doesnt sound likely.

Lawyer Malloy - it's in the first page of this thread!

The one nut the blind squirrel finds.

Which happened to coincide with which GM?

So tell me again about the parallel between this regime and Levy/Jauron or Donahue.

When we hired McDermott and I learned more about him, my first thought was that he seems like a younger dick jauron.

Having said that, I believe McDermott is a bit more firey than jauron was. Also jauron was well past his prime. Ran the most simplistic, awful offense a coach could. I don't see that in McDermott

Defense* and agreed. He is very Jauron-like. We'll see how that translates to his in-game demeanor. It'll be interesting to see how he handles himself on the sidelines. Is he a rah-rah guy, or a stone face Jauron/Bowles guy?

Lawyer Malloy - it's in the first page of this thread!

GG is just determined to argue.......never seen him so careless with the facts as past couple days.......no matter how many times his takes get nuked he just keeps arguing like he's stackin' cheez!

please-stop-moving.jpg

I'll admit that Malloy is the one outlier in the sample.

But you're also being disingenuous in thinking that this is the same Bills operation that existed under Wilson.

Milloy was a unique case where Donahoe pounced on the ME cast off right before the opener, and probably broke an NFL rule or two.

But for the rest it was always the same story, the budget was set in March, it was spent on Geoff Hangartners of the world, and the rest of the roster would be backfilled with street FAs. There was never a consideration to bid for a Maclin type of free agent when they became available prior to training camp.

Even BADOL agreed with that last year, into he changed the tune last week, all because Bills traded Sammy.

But other than that trade which rankles the fans more than the team, there's nothing to suggest that Bills are reverting to the dark days.

"Jauron-y".

Must have missed the part where Beane is an out of touch senior citizen plucked out of retirement and forced into a role he really didn't want because nostalgia.

And the part where McD is a played-out retread brought in to be a cheap "yes man" while our old coot owner just tries to stay afloat in a league that had probably passed his ideology by years ago.

Yep. So similar it's spooky.

agreed

McD turned down the team option and the Rams GM said they were in dialogue since that happened which was before Beane so McD must've been strongly considering it.

Hm good point. Well then maybe the entire trio were on the same page.

edit: OR, McD was fine with losing Watkins after this season, but was glad to have him for this year. I believe I read the Rams reached out to the Bills originally back then.

Edited by DrDareustein

I'll admit that Malloy is the one outlier in the sample.

But you're also being disingenuous in thinking that this is the same Bills operation that existed under Wilson.

Milloy was a unique case where Donahoe pounced on the ME cast off right before the opener, and probably broke an NFL rule or two.

But for the rest it was always the same story, the budget was set in March, it was spent on Geoff Hangartners of the world, and the rest of the roster would be backfilled with street FAs. There was never a consideration to bid for a Maclin type of free agent when they became available prior to training camp.

Even BADOL agreed with that last year, into he changed the tune last week, all because Bills traded Sammy.

But other than that trade which rankles the fans more than the team, there's nothing to suggest that Bills are reverting to the dark days.

They were in on Tyson Clabo in July. What are we doing here?

They were in on Tyson Clabo in July. What are we doing here?

I though we were discussing how Pegula is hamstringing the new organization and how every roster spot will be filled with draft choices and street free agents.

Who knows.

Either way they weren't going to pay him if he had a big year, they made that clear with the trade.

My beef is why wouldn't you pay a great WR?

Because we are going to dink and dunk our way towards a punt on the 45 yrd line while on offense this year; so our defensive minded coach can try to play the game of field field position and settle for FGs....

Are you not in the group of people that thinks that the Bills approach to this season seems to have been altered by the arrival of Beane?

Seems like trading Sammy was HIS idea.

Wasn't it Sal Capaccio who said that McDermott sounded like someone just shot his puppy when talking about the Sammy trade?

I think these guys work hand in hand.....not McDermott dictating terms........and that means sometimes McDermott will do what Beane wants.

In any healthy business relationship you have to compromise and pick your battles....but especially in one as tight as McDermott/Beane.......they have been tight socially/family-wise for years.

I believe it was McDermott's idea, not Beane's. Watkins's option was declined before Beane was hired. And i think that the idea that mcdermott wasn't in the know despite force feeding the ball to Watkins in the first quarter is hilarious. Of course he knew, but saying that he didn't gives fans the illusion that beane is in control.

I am by no means saying that the situation is promising.

Precisely!

And I actually think Pegula was the deciding vote in this case.

If it were between just McDermott and Beane I think maybe they sit on this idea and it goes away.

Pegula was very indulgent with Rex and I think he indulged Beanes vision and conviction on this and McDermott being a "one vision" guy wasn't going to draw a line over this.

If it weren't Beane's idea alone I doubt he waits to spring it on McDermott the way he did........sounds like he didn't want him thinking it over too hard.

God, I hope not. Pegula is an utter moron about football, and I say that even though I like him for buying the Bills and keeping them here. I'm not even sure he likes football.

I believe it was McDermott's idea, not Beane's. Watkins's option was declined before Beane was hired. And i think that the idea that mcdermott wasn't in the know despite force feeding the ball to Watkins in the first quarter is hilarious. Of course he knew, but saying that he didn't gives fans the illusion that beane is in control.

God, I hope not. Pegula is an utter moron about football, and I say that even though I like him for buying the Bills and keeping them here. I'm not even sure he likes football.

Beane and McDermott better win games or the proceeds of those 6 draft picks are just going to be for the benefit(or disposal) of the next GM/HC. See Lawson, Shaq.....Nuts, Reggierag

I think McD knew the Bills had received calls about Sammy, and he and Beane had discussions about what sort of deal it would take to part with him. They certainly discussed the entire roster and their vision for 2017 and beyond when Beane came on.

That doesn't mean McD knew talks with the Rams were getting heated and he needed to "audition" Sammy last Thursday. I believe Beane's statement about not going to McD and Pegula with the actual trade deal until after the game could be 100% accurate. McD "knew" Beane would be talking with various teams about various players, and then come to him (and Pegs) when something concrete was on the table.

Looks like TBD has a few Snowflakes. Buy some Butt Salve, dude.....

you used the terms snowflake and butt salve in the same comment. good for you!

i'm sorry if my comment struck a nerve. i get if you're in the group that a lot of people don't like to deal with you, but sometimes it just a personality thing. try thinking outside the box to make new friends. get involved in some activities that you may not typically feel comfortable with. you'll be surprised who you meet!

Who said he wasn't in the know that teams were interested in trading for Sammy?

Apparently McDermott had turned the Rams down prior to the Beane hiring.........if not, he'd have been traded on draft day for chrissake!

Friggin' McDermott was trading like a madman, you think he didn't want a pick then?

A second next year was worth a third this year........so I fail to see where they got some great value gain by waiting out this process.

Contrary to any nonsense there was never any belief that this injury was career threatening. Kevin Durant had it and needed two cuts. Same with Julio Jones.

you used the terms snowflake and butt salve in the same comment. good for you!

i'm sorry if my comment struck a nerve. i get if you're in the group that a lot of people don't like to deal with you, but sometimes it just a personality thing. try thinking outside the box to make new friends. get involved in some activities that you may not typically feel comfortable with. you'll be surprised who you meet!

Dude......wrt your humor.......less is more.....please trust me. :flirt:

WRT your skin.......you could thicken up a bit..........I took a playful jab at you that struck a nerve and you lost your cool......I understand, I hold no grudges against anyone here.......not even you or your nephew or wineball(I actually assume neither are your lovers and don't clinically diagnose alcoholism for a living so take it with a grain). :thumbsup:

Dude......wrt your humor.......less is more.....please trust me. :flirt:

WRT your skin.......you could thicken up a bit..........I took a playful jab at you that struck a nerve and you lost your cool......I understand, I hold no grudges against anyone here.......not even you or your nephew or wineball(I actually assume neither are your lovers and don't clinically diagnose alcoholism for a living so take it with a grain). :thumbsup:

i don't mind at all. i think this stuff is fun. i'm always a bit surprised how much it bothers you guys. on occasion, i hit the nail on the head, and it eats at you. it's not my objective to do so, but maybe it's just too close for comfort for you guys. if you need me to stop i'm more than happy. you like to spend a lot of time and thought being upset on this board, (and i have no idea why anyone would spend the time or energy) but the last thing i want to do is stand in your way.

I think McD knew the Bills had received calls about Sammy, and he and Beane had discussions about what sort of deal it would take to part with him. They certainly discussed the entire roster and their vision for 2017 and beyond when Beane came on.

That doesn't mean McD knew talks with the Rams were getting heated and he needed to "audition" Sammy last Thursday. I believe Beane's statement about not going to McD and Pegula with the actual trade deal until after the game could be 100% accurate. McD "knew" Beane would be talking with various teams about various players, and then come to him (and Pegs) when something concrete was on the table.

Agreed. Especially since the entire thing was contingent on so many moving parts with the Eagles deal. Beane had to get BOTH deals in place, tell everyone to hold on, then he went and presented it to McD and Pegula.

Not worth talking about the Sammy trade if he didnt have the Darby trade lined up as well.

Edited by DrDareustein

I think the OP has merit here.

Who rolled their eyes when McDermott talked about his offense? Run the ball, we play in Buffalo so that means we need to be a physical team, get into 3rd and manageable. Sounds a lot like Marrone's philosophy and Rex's playbook.

Then we are playing an outdated Tampa-2 defense with Leslie Frazier. That system was outdated when Jauron ran it in 2006. Tiny linebackers and zone corners.

Then you ask that Bills fans get excited about Anquan Boldin. If this was 2005 we would be excited. It's 2017, he's 37, with an average ypc that has declined 5 straight seasons to 8.7 last year.

Jauron droned on and on about working hard and looking at the tape to correct the mistakes.

We've also seen in Buffalo how trading away your talent for draft picks works. Lynch, Peters, we lost both of those trades. We've seen it with other franchises too - Mangini running out Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards and bringing in a ton of old Jets. McDaniels shipped out Marshall and Scheffler and ditched Cutler for Orton.

So a group full of hard workers and lunch pail guys doesn't get it done. It speaks poorly on the Bills organization that three Coaching staffs in a row had the same run first mentality, same just go with a backup QB mentality, and could not figure out how to use a #1 WR who was praised for his run after the catch ability at Clemson.

But I look forward to reviving this thread during the season because I have a strong suspicion that many folks around here don't fully realize just how boring this team is going to look this season. Lots of four fieldgoal performances and "heartbreaking" bend-don't-break-then-finally-break losses that McD chalks up to "character building" and "learning how to win" and "showing good compete." By November August 18, I fear that this comparison will be oft-cited on this board and in the local media.

...um...

I laughed at this thread then I saw McDermott clapping while sending his FG unit out on 4th and 3. Looked just like Juaron.

I must admit, he's got the flummoxed face/hands on hips combo down pat.

That's not a good sign.

I don't think you can draw a comparison. Leavy was an old GM drafting and operating under what he knew. The game had passed Levy by and he entrusted a lot of the organizational and football decisions to Jauron. Jauron was a coach with a less than stellar track record who lucked into being a head coach for an incompetent team.

Beane and McD are both young guys who are trying to make their mark on an organization. They are fairly modern NFL thinkers who are trying to move forward. I think they are more so comparable to Donough and Greggo than Leavy and Jauron.

I don't think you can draw a comparison. Leavy was an old GM drafting and operating under what he knew. The game had passed Levy by and he entrusted a lot of the organizational and football decisions to Jauron. Jauron was a coach with a less than stellar track record who lucked into being a head coach for an incompetent team.

Beane and McD are both young guys who are trying to make their mark on an organization. They are fairly modern NFL thinkers who are trying to move forward. I think they are more so comparable to Donough and Greggo than Leavy and Jauron.

What evidence is there that McDermott is a "fairly modern NFL thinker"?

When he talked about offfense it sounded archaic.

• 3 weeks later...

#BADOL nailed this comparison.

As you've seen this Training Camp play out you have to agree with the similarities.

- overvaluing special teams

- cutting key backup positions like RB and MLB

- a parade of fringe NFL talents being brought to this roster

- a popgun "timing" offense that can't score

- an outdated Tampa 2 defense

- the constant mantra of working really hard and correcting mistakes

- paper thin depth everywhere, one deep

- creating a bunch of holes then trying to fill all the holes in the draft

"Jauron-y".Must have missed the part where Beane is an out of touch senior citizen plucked out of retirement and forced into a role he really didn't want because nostalgia.

And the part where McD is a played-out retread brought in to be a cheap "yes man" while our old coot owner just tries to stay afloat in a league that had probably passed his ideology by years ago.

Yep. So similar it's spooky.

No doubt.

Must have been a BBMBer that started this thread.

Lest I get accused of pounding the table on McDermott/Bean being Jauron/Levy II..........this thread was started as a question.

Time will tell.

The situation is different in some regards but the similarities are quite clear.

There are only so many types of coaches and so many types of re-tooling..........we've seen all of them except the "great" coach and "efficiently-executed" re-tool.

Bear in mind.......just because Jauron did it wrong doesn't mean that the same process can't work.

He just didn't have anything else up his sleeve after his remarkable year one turnaround.

But, ya' know.......Yale is no William and Mary so I can see how people think Jauron was not as smart. :flirt: