Peter King: Darby Hadn't Bought Into New Bills' Regime

Totally different deal with Gilmore. If you've been paying attention, the team for years has had a set value at CB. They think that CBs have been overvalued in FA relative to their impact toward winning a championship. What Whaley did there was fine: i.e. keep your drafted player at a reasonable cost that the 5th year option allows. So you have a solid if unspectacular CB for five years. That's not bad. The money should be spent on QBs , pass rushers, LTs, dominant DLs and offensive stars. Not corners. No we don't know what Watkins wanted or could have commanded based on production. We do know that the market and production dictates value when it comes to second contracts in the NFL. In others words Watkins will get what the market dictates, not whatever he asks for. He said " if I play like I'm capable of I'll get what I deserve". No reason to assume his negotiations would be any different than one that the Bills have successfully negotiated . A built in excuse of " they MAY not have been able to re sign him" is letting this FO off the hook for the mistake of not picking up the option. There was no need to make a big decision on a long term deal until sometime in 2018 season at the earliest . They would have plenty of data to make a decision then. If you haven't noticed , this team has VERY FEW STARS. Why the worry about a what is actually a manageable cap number. Folks act like the Bills have tons of blossoming starts that they drafted and are coming off a SB run and looming cap issues. You don't assume you will lose talent over money before you even get there. Total fail by the Bills front office . You are correct on one thing. We can't do anything about it as fans. We don't however have to like it or accept mismanagement as the standard because we happen to be Bills fans.

I'm with you on this brother. All of it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Embarrassing troll thread. If you read the entire article Peter King clearly implies the Bills will go 19-0 and win the Superbowl by 75. The mods will deal with the OP in such a fashion that he/she will wish they had never been born!!! Go get em mods😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Pathetic is using the word pathetic over and over again in posts as if it has some magical meaning.

Peters should have gotten paid more. No question. The front office said they'd talk, but they just wanted Peters to come to OBD to be evaluated for the injury he had and he wouldn't come. Lynch and his agent wanted out after CJ got drafted and told Buddy so. Sammy on the other hand I think would have been happy to stay.

Starting to like you oldman. You did however forget to cite the agenda blast, the mod blast, the emotional response blast, and the all important you just dont know the game blast.

The smiley face is big as well. Forgot that one.😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

So if someone doesn't agree with your opinion, they're in denial?

Why was sammy's future in buffalo so bright this year? I liked sammy too, but there's nothing to suggest this year would be any different at all. Considering his health, the qb throwing to him, and the addition of doldin and jones, I'm willing to bet there'a not much change in production. As usual you're just being a blowhard. I've never seen someone think so high of their opinion, only to be proven wrong time and time again.

I said probably and I meant that literally.

I think everyone has to have some level of denial to tolerate being a fan of an organization that goes 17 years without a single minimum level successful season.

Some more than others.

As far as me being wrong........I'm actually seeing a few people changing their tune about how right I have been.....denial is not just a river in Georgia I guess.

The Bills issues still start with ownership Teef.

Terry Pegula consented to this trade.........which he would have talked Beane-brain out of if he had any clue how to be a good steward of the football team.

An owner is a lot like a parent.......you gotta' let your kids do their thing but there should be a level of wisdom in a 70 year old man that says.......this risk is not worth it.

Edited by #BADOL

I said probably and I meant that literally.

I think everyone has to have some level of denial to tolerate being a fan of an organization that goes 17 years without a single minimum level successful season.

Some more than others.

As far as me being wrong........I'm actually seeing a few people changing their tune about how right I have been.....denial is not just a river in Georgia I guess.

The Bills issues still start with ownership Teef.

Terry Pegula consented to this trade.........which he would have talked Beane-brain out of if he had any clue how to be a good steward of the football team.

An owner is a lot like a parent.......you gotta' let your kids do their thing but there should be a level of wisdom in a 70 year old man that says.......this risk is not worth it.

OK. I think all of this is pretty fair, and I think you said it perfectly when you mentioned risk. There's a ton of risk with what's going on here. Could come out great, could come out very bad...again. personally I'm more with the why not approach. Nothing has worked for 17 years and there sure were no obvious changes on the horizon. Shake things up. Get a qb, build a team with players of value, and keep your fingers crossed.

I love Wade as D.C. As he is one of the few who actually believe you can play defense either way, and will adapt to the team's personnel on hand. Most of the guys are married to one philosophy of defense and that's all they know.

Agree completely on Wade. I loved how he changed scheme between weeks with 2 injures to defense. No idea whether he would go back to Buffalo or he could revamp scheme without player changes.

OK. I think all of this is pretty fair, and I think you said it perfectly when you mentioned risk. There's a ton of risk with what's going on here. Could come out great, could come out very bad...again. personally I'm more with the why not approach. Nothing has worked for 17 years and there sure were no obvious changes on the horizon. Shake things up. Get a qb, build a team with players of value, and keep your fingers crossed.

This team has been shaking things up continuosly for 17 years. Id rather take a gamble on a receiver with star potential, despite the injury history which Ive been attacked over, than a crappy corner and second round pick. This trade was a big mistake.

I think he will play the season out with the Rams and either get tagged or hit FA. A tag and trade is even possible. All around a great deal for the Rams for just a 2nd rounder.

If he hits FA that is a horrible deal, historically bad even. Especially because him hitting FA likely means the Rams sucked which means it's a high 2nd rounder and they have multiple positions to fill.

If he plays as advertised and Goff takes the next step then it was a good trade for them. I don't think that's likely but we'll see.

Stop changing schemes every freaking two years.

Amen. Pegs going with Wrex and his 3-4, 2-gap read and react scheme while the team was already sitting pretty with Schwartz's top defense that played an attacking 1-gap 4-3 was a horrific mistake. Just Bush League.

Maybe, but "if healthy" is a huge caveat when it comes to Sammy. As things stand now, Sammy's 2018 pay under the 5th year option would've been second only to Antonio Brown's. It'll be interesting to see how much $ he commands from the Rams, as he probably would've been looking for at least that much from Buffalo.

Well he did state this:

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market," Watkins tweeted Sunday.

If Watkins thinks one year of super production warrants him being paid more than anyone else by his "change the market tweet" he needs drug teated more and thats likely what the GM was eluding to with the term signability.

From the same article...

Thats not true standing buffalo dont you know we have tons of cap space and the capis a myth.

Sarcasm included.

Edited by Bill_with_it

Well IMO this season is a wash anyway.

Pegula just have to stop blowing the team up. Hard to have a long term vision when that vision changes every two years

In all fairness, they've relieved one HC and GM in their tenure. It was after two years, but cmon man...its not like THEY blow it up every two years (at this point)

First off, the problem isn't that they keep blowing the team up every couple of years, the problem has been hiring the wrong people. There was noting wrong with firing The Ryans after 2 seasons, it was actaully 2 years too long for them (since they shouldn't have been hired in the first place). They actually looked like they had a decent thing going with Marrones team, but he left on his own instead of seeing things through. The problem is that when they need a new coach, they should be looking for quality guys that will work more with what they have and not want to change everything (except for changing everything Rex did). Rex was a huge mistake and that mistake by the front office set them back a few years. It would have been much worse for the team to give him more time just because "coaches/GMs should have more time to build their team" then realizing they made a mistake and moving on ASAP. The new guys should be given as much time as they need until they show they either can't do the job competently (like Rex), or they team just does not appear to be moving in the right direction. If the team appears to be getting better on the field (and results are getting better) then they continue

Theres always going to be some changes and some guys that may not fit a scheme whenever a coach/co-ordinator is changed, and that is more likely the issue with Darby. More then likely, they felt he wasn't a great fit for their scheme, may not have been happy that it didn't fit his style of play, AND they had to give up something of value to get Matthews from the Eagles in order to get another good WR. The deal for Watkins is most likely done because they feel from discussions with him that he is going to cost to much to re-sign, may have indicated he wants to test the market, AND they feel he was injured far to much for them to want to invest what he wanted into a WR with his past. He has spent more time injured, or playing at less than 100% (trying to play through injuries) then he has played "healthy".The decision to move him was probably based on getting a good offer from a team for a guy they didn't see being around much longer here. They also may feel that they don't need a WR like him because (as many hwill always point out) they have a QB whos strength isn't his arm/QB play so their offence can work best with a possession guy like Matthews and Boldin.

These moves aren't the end of the world, they didn't lose some HOF locks that have been doing much of anything on the field that makes them irreplaceable or the key to getting into the playoffs (except having the hype/potential to be great). This team has missed the playoffs with a healthy, a playing hurt, and an on the bench injured Watkins, he wasn't the guy that was holding them back from the playoffs, but he also wasn't the guy who was putting them on his shoulders to get their either. I think we need to see the way the season and offence/defence plays out with these changes during the season before we all start writing them off as being doomed and tanking. McCoy may not be happy to see Watkins go, but Wentz appears to be just as mad to see the Eagles move Matthews.

but hey, its always fun to overreact and whine and moan about how the new guys in charge need to go and blame the years they weren't even here on them, or that it has anything to do with them.

And if Watkins walked at the end of his deal, whether they picked up the option and tagged him a couple times after that, people would be screaming that the Bills got nothing in return for him. To deny that you would be lying.

None of us knows if Watkins would have liked to have stayed here. Beane talked about "signability" in his PC.

We will never know; but we wanted to know. Watkins was too good to not ride it through to the eventual outcome.

Good riddance, don't need any detractors in the locker room influencing other teammates.

The only issue to me is, yet again we are losing players based on scheme fit. This is why the consistent turnover is really holding us back more than anything.

I don't mind the Darby trade in a vacuum, but we need to bunker down and try and see something through without changing the philosophy ever couple years.

Scheme changes are henceforth now over.

First off, the problem isn't that they keep blowing the team up every couple of years, the problem has been hiring the wrong people. There was noting wrong with firing The Ryans after 2 seasons, it was actaully 2 years too long for them (since they shouldn't have been hired in the first place). They actually looked like they had a decent thing going with Marrones team, but he left on his own instead of seeing things through. The problem is that when they need a new coach, they should be looking for quality guys that will work more with what they have and not want to change everything (except for changing everything Rex did). Rex was a huge mistake and that mistake by the front office set them back a few years. It would have been much worse for the team to give him more time just because "coaches/GMs should have more time to build their team" then realizing they made a mistake and moving on ASAP. The new guys should be given as much time as they need until they show they either can't do the job competently (like Rex), or they team just does not appear to be moving in the right direction. If the team appears to be getting better on the field (and results are getting better) then they continue

Theres always going to be some changes and some guys that may not fit a scheme whenever a coach/co-ordinator is changed, and that is more likely the issue with Darby. More then likely, they felt he wasn't a great fit for their scheme, may not have been happy that it didn't fit his style of play, AND they had to give up something of value to get Matthews from the Eagles in order to get another good WR. The deal for Watkins is most likely done because they feel from discussions with him that he is going to cost to much to re-sign, may have indicated he wants to test the market, AND they feel he was injured far to much for them to want to invest what he wanted into a WR with his past. He has spent more time injured, or playing at less than 100% (trying to play through injuries) then he has played "healthy".The decision to move him was probably based on getting a good offer from a team for a guy they didn't see being around much longer here. They also may feel that they don't need a WR like him because (as many hwill always point out) they have a QB whos strength isn't his arm/QB play so their offence can work best with a possession guy like Matthews and Boldin.

These moves aren't the end of the world, they didn't lose some HOF locks that have been doing much of anything on the field that makes them irreplaceable or the key to getting into the playoffs (except having the hype/potential to be great). This team has missed the playoffs with a healthy, a playing hurt, and an on the bench injured Watkins, he wasn't the guy that was holding them back from the playoffs, but he also wasn't the guy who was putting them on his shoulders to get their either. I think we need to see the way the season and offence/defence plays out with these changes during the season before we all start writing them off as being doomed and tanking. McCoy may not be happy to see Watkins go, but Wentz appears to be just as mad to see the Eagles move Matthews.

but hey, its always fun to overreact and whine and moan about how the new guys in charge need to go and blame the years they weren't even here on them, or that it has anything to do with them.

You are right about the hires........they haven't fired any good HC's.

But let's not understate the lack of good stewardship from the people doing this hiring.

For one thing.......you can't let a new, nobody hire come in with a weakened roster.

They only get one chance to make a first impression.

PLAYERS RESPECT WINNERS........if the new staff doesn't get off to a good start it becomes an uphill battle for a joe-shmo coach.

Second.....ownership needs to empower but not just be a yes-man to a new GM/coach that hasn't proven themselves.

Marrone and Rex BOTH put Terry Pegula on the spot with stunning ultimatums because they did not respect him......SIMPLE AS THAT.

I definitely read it as two separate issues - scheme fit and 'buying in'/attitude. I don't think Darby or Sammy 'bought into' the new regime, and because of that I imagine they didn't have quite the right attitude McD was looking for (either overtly or just generally).

In Beane's PC discussing the trade one of the things he said was

"There's a lot of guys that have jumped right on board, doing the things that Sean and his staff have asked and we look forward to continuing to work with those guys."

I took that as a lightly veiled shot at the guys who were leaving

Part of me worries we are quick to ship guys out and a big part of coaching goes beyond scheme or game day management and centers around building bridges/managing men and maximizing the talent you have in place.

Not everyone is a perfect fit or will 100% buy in at all times... and you can still be a better team for having that player

Well he did state this:

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market," Watkins tweeted Sunday.

If Watkins thinks one year of super production warrants him being paid more than anyone else by his "change the market tweet" he needs drug teated more and thats likely what the GM was eluding to with the term signability.

Makes sense. Sammy's thinking he's going to break the bank, but Beane & McDermott are like "Not with us, you're not." Good for them.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in LA, now that another GM is banking on Sammy Watkins to elevate his 1st round QB to franchise QB.

Also, a team taking our #1 & #2 WRs to be their #1 & #2 WRs? That's gotta be a first.