For future ref., can anyone find Bills trade up that worked?

cba fan

As it is obvious Bills are tanking and may or may not trade up for a QB next year, I can not find a single trade up that Bills did in the past that worked out.

Think about that when Watkins and Darby are playing in the Pro Bowl next year before the draft.

Edited by cba fan

The OP is correct that in the last 7-8 years not a single trade where out team traded up in the draft has worked out

Yet we keep doing it, or rather every new set of mgmt does it, and folks continually cheer it on

However we have more success with trades outside the draft

jc

Um ... Cornelius Bennett. He is arguably one of the 10 best players in franchise history.

I see how you would try to make the connection there about it being a trade-up, however, does not quite meet the criteria.

IE: a true trade up is acquiring the pick and then making the pick. Not letting some other team set the draft pick spot value of the player by making the pick first.

EX: if Bills had traded up with Colts for the pick that Colts choose Bennet with, there is no way of knowing that Bills would have picked Bennet. They may have had other players graded higher and picked one of them instead.

Bills only got interested after draft when it became clear Colts could not sign him.

another ex: No one refers to Eli Manning and P Rivers swap a draft trade up. It was just a trade because both players were the property of a team at that time.

Just my opinion.

Edited by cba fan

It's not even just the Bills - trade ups for QBs (especially to the top of the draft) have rarely ever worked out for the team trading up.

Eli Manning. But I don't really think that one counts, as Eli absolutely DEMANDED a trade. He was going to suit o,saying football and go into law (IIRC) if he was not traded. And even then the trade may not have happened if the NYG didn't have Philip Rivers going back the other way to SD. So that was the rarest of rare circumstances surrounding that trade.

The only other trade up (to the top of the draft) for a QB I can think of that more/less worked out is Michael Vick way back in 2001, and that was before mobile QBs were as nearly popular as they are today. Vick really took mobile QBs to a different level.

The trade up for Joe Flacco has worked out, but that was only trading up to pick #18.

I know you weren't just referring to trade up's for QBs, though.

Edit - I guess one (or more) of Goff/Wentz/Mahomes/Watson could work out. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Edited by BillsFan4

It's difficult to win a blockbuster trade up early in a draft. The Julio Jones scenarios are rare, but they do exist. There's a good reason for that - it's because teams moving up are usually a lot more desperate than the ones moving back. Often the regime doesn't have much to lose because they are under a lot of pressure to improve immediately. The GM and/or HC doesn't much care about next year's picks because they won't be around for that draft anyway if they don't improve. Stable regimes take advantage of those teams in those situations.

The moral of the story isn't "Never trade up!" it is ""Don't trade up out of desperation." Trust your process and player evaluations so you don't talk yourselves into chasing a mirage.

Edited by BarleyNY

It's not even just the Bills - trade ups for QBs (especially to the top of the draft) have rarely ever worked out for the team trading up.

Eli Manning. But I don't really think that one counts, as Eli absolutely DEMANDED a trade. He was going to suit o,saying football and go into law (IIRC) if he was not traded. And even then the trade may not have happened if the NYG didn't have Philip Rivers going back the other way to SD. So that was the rarest of rare circumstances surrounding that trade.

The only other trade up (to the top of the draft) for a QB I can think of that more/less worked out is Michael Vick way back in 2001, and that was before mobile QBs were as nearly popular as they are today. Vick really took mobile QBs to a different level.

The trade up for Joe Flacco has worked out, but that was only trading up to pick #18.

I know you weren't just referring to trade up's for QBs, though.

Edit - I guess one (or more) of Goff/Wentz/Mahomes/Watson could work out. We will have to wait and see I guess.

I see your and dog's point, but basically, the Bills gave up a ton of draft capital in a draft related move. Technically, it wasn't a "trade up" on draft day, but practically speaking, it was.

As it is obvious Bills are tanking and may or may not trade up for a QB next year, I can not find a single trade up that Bills did in the past that worked out.

Think about that when Watkins and Darby are playing in the Pro Bowl next year before the draft.

Did Beane do those trades? No he did not so not a god comparison.

With Goff throwing to Watkins, long shot for pro bowl. Darby has a better chance in a good defense.

Did Beane do those trades? No he did not so not a god comparison.

With Goff throwing to Watkins, long shot for pro bowl. Darby has a better chance in a good defense.

No, Beane did not make those trades nor any others for that matter. He's been a G M for what? Three months?

I see your and dog's point, but basically, the Bills gave up a ton of draft capital in a draft related move. Technically, it wasn't a "trade up" on draft day, but practically speaking, it was.

Honestly, I was really only referring to the risk in trading up for a QB. I've seen it talked about a whole lot ever since we acquired that extra Chiefs 1st, and while I'm not opposed to it, trading up to the top of a draft for a QB is definitely a huge risk that has rarely ever worked out for the team trading up.

I 100% agree that the Cornelius Bennett trade was an amazing one for the Bills. He instantly put that defense over the top, and I'd make that trade again 10 times out of 10. I still love that move to this day. One of the best the Bills made IMO.

But that Bills team was in a much different position. That defense was actually one player away from being great. Unfortunately, the Bills weren't (and still aren't) one Sammy Watkins away from being great.

Eric Wood? That's about it.

They did not trade up for him. They received that 1st round pick for Jason Peters. And it was after the Bills 1st round pick at 11 for Maybin.

Now I am confused what a real trade up actually is. As Bills made a first round pick 13 in 2004 Lee Evans and then traded back into 1st round to pick 22 JP Losman. Trade up? or Trade back into round 1??

Trade up I guess so you are right.??

Edited by cba fan