Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Odds are not that he will get hurt. I bet his surgeon thinks odds are unless something freaky happens unrelated, that he will play at 100%.

I'm not the type to bring this convo back up WHEN he gets injured. I think we can both agree there was no sane reason to trade up for him in the first place.

I think Sammy is awesome on the field. If he somehow manages to stay on the field, he could put up a monster season. I just doubt it happen.

Agree to disagree.

From a Rams blog:

What Buffalo Bills Fans Need To Know About CB E.J. Gaines

Here’s the three main lines on Gaines as he leaves the Rams for the Bills.

1.) He hasn’t looked the same since that 2015 foot injury

2.) He’s limited for size and speed

3.) What he can do, he does well

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/11/16135382/los-angeles-rams-buffalo-bills-trade-e-j-gaines-scouting-report

Edited by DrDareustein

From a Rams blog:

What Buffalo Bills Fans Need To Know About CB E.J. Gaines

Here’s the three main lines on Gaines as he leaves the Rams for the Bills.

1.) He hasn’t looked the same since that 2015 foot injury

2.) He’s limited for size and speed

3.) What he can do, he does well

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/11/16135382/los-angeles-rams-buffalo-bills-trade-e-j-gaines-scouting-report

what can he do?

My soon to be born (next couple days), daughter got an infant Watkins jersey from her great-grandparents. Amazing timing Buffalo. All I know is these two (Beane and McDermont) better not just be doing some alpha male leader thing and have a plan.

I'll give them 3 years but, that it seema like it could be a long three years...

I'm not the type to bring this convo back up WHEN he gets injured. I think we can both agree there was no sane reason to trade up for him in the first place.

I think Sammy is awesome on the field. If he somehow manages to stay on the field, he could put up a monster season. I just doubt it happen.

Agree to disagree.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Excellent take and why I am 100% behind it. Finally a plan to build rather than throw money and draft picks down the drain. Did any of us really come to this board as frequently as we do and believe Tyrod is the guy. We have seen the +/- and he doesn't pass the test....this whole regime is very Belichekian, bring guys in that fit your culture and when it's time to cut bait maximize your return.

I loved Sammy too when we drafted him and have been a life long FSU fan and saw Darby at his best. Let's at least try and build a winner from the ground up rather than sticking industrial band aids on every position. If we win 7 games and are there in the end and play good football that's a win for me, I am a realist when it comes to what this team is. And hopefully this wakes up a few other guys who are on the fence that no one is completely safe unless you buy in.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

I wish I could objectively look at the Watkins trade in a vacuum, but I can't. Every thought of that trade is colored by the fact that the previous regime wasted a FIRST rd pick to trade up and get him. If they hadn't done that, I could look at the trade and think "yeah he's good, but he's fragile and has an inflated sense of worth, we likely won't re-sign him." In that light, trading a former 1st rounder for a second rounder and a player who at least theoretically could be a decent fit for this defense doesn't look so awful. But, even though it's illogical, when I see that dude getting traded all I think is "there go 2 1st rd picks for a second rounder and a question mark."

The Darby trade I have less of a problem with, neither player is amazing and we are getting a pick.

So you're saying the Bills shouldn't pay superstar players what they are worth? That's a good strategy for winning.

You want to pay him on potential. He hasn't earned it and his history of injuries is beyond a concern.

My soon to be born (next couple days), daughter got an infant Watkins jersey from her great-grandparents. Amazing timing Buffalo. All I know is these two (Beane and McDermont) better not just be doing some alpha male leader thing and have a plan.

I'll give them 3 years but, that it seema like it could be a long three years...

Congrats on the addition! All the best!

I know the majority is pissed and we have had our good timethrowing out jokes at OBD. So now that I have a few minutes I will explain my fire and fury.

I loved Darby as much as I hate Watkins. I guess that makes me neutral on the two players. Sure Sammy has the tools to become great and could/should have much more value then what they received in exchange. Darby may/may not bounce back but I like his chances and the inexperienced secondary just added a guy falling down the Rams depth chart. The players going out the door aren't why I'm upset....

With Jordan Matthews coming to Buffalo and playing along side Boldin and Zay my biggest gripe is McBeane and Dennison are the Rex Ryan's of offense. Are they going to reinvent the wheel by catering to a running game with blocking WR and a short yardage horizontal passing game!?! Yikes.

I don't expect anymore trades that would indicate a tank, I'm convinced these guys think it's a viable offense and they are surrounding Tyord with the proper pieces.

That's why I'm sick. The fear that we have a whole new set of "smartest guys in the room"

Edited by Commonsense

You want to pay him on potential. He hasn't earned it and his history of injuries is beyond a concern.

Congrats on the addition! All the best!

No. People were talking about paying him after this season. Obviously if he gets hurt or sucks no one is going to want to pay him top dollar. We were talking about after he showed himself to be a star this season.

Massive failure in what the Bills got in exchange for a elite talent at WR. If he stays healthy...the Bills Got absolutely fleeced. Maybe he doesn't and it looks better, but his career thus far has mirrored Julio Jones'. I wouldn't have let this guy walk for anything less than a first rounder.

I hate trading him - absolutely hate it. But a Rams 2nd rounder in 2018 is essentially looking like close to a 1st rounder