Just lost respect for Mike Florio-

https://sports.yahoo.com/pegula-commits-keeping-bills-buffalo-213442632.html

Talk about a click-bait article.

"With three NFL teams relocating in less than 20 months, other fans in other cities are nervous about other teams moving. Bills owner Terry Pegula made it clear on Wednesday that folks in Buffalo shouldn’t worry. Yet.

Well, we have a lease through 2023, so that’s a contractual obligation,” Pegula told reporters. “That’s my stance on it. This is 2017, so we’ve got a long ways to go before we start worrying about anything besides where we’re at now.”

On one hand, that’s seven years. On the other hand, it’s only seven years. Grand scheme of things, that time will fly by. And there will need to be a plan in place for Year Eight, a plan that can’t wait to be devised and implemented in Year Seven.

Still, it’s clear that the Bills won’t be going anywhere soon. Asked about an out clause that is triggered in 2018, Pegula was pragmatic.

“Where are we going to go?” he said.

For now, nowhere. Eventually, however, that could change."

It should have been obvious that Pegula was talking about building a new stadium and not moving the team from Buffalo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Well objectively speaking, there needs to be a stadium plan in the works in about 2 years' time. That means architectural and environmental etc drafts need to start working soon. Buffalo could use more downtown redevelopment.

I'm in Finance/Economics sphere. Southern Ontario is one of the most economically dynamic areas in North America. Despite Nafta I don't know why Buffalo has never been able to link up economically. Same goes for Detroit. Pegulas probably have an architect and engineering firm in employment already.

Despite Nafta I don't know why Buffalo has never been able to link up economically. Same goes for Detroit. Pegulas probably have an architect and engineering firm in employment already.

Because it's a pain in the ass crossing the border when it's work/business related. You get the customs agent having a bad day and you'll be stuck there for hours, even if all your paperwork is in order.

There doesn't have to be a new stadium built by 2023. It's not like New Era is falling apart, or will cease to exist once the lease runs out.

They could very easily re-up for a few more years, while a new stadium is being planned or built.

Pegula has also said something along the lines of he wants to accomplish something with the Bills (like winning) before he starts asking NYS for anything.

if Pegula's plan is to move the team, he's sure going about it in a strange way - continually using his own money to make upgrades to the facilities as well as buying land + buildings near the stadium/arena and building restaurants, hotels, skating rinks (etc). But I'm sure he's just building up his empire in Buffalo to move the team(s)... lol

I really have no fear of the Bills moving anymore and I think a new stadium (or an even bigger renovation to New Era (which I think is less likely)) will happen eventually. Pegula is being smart and respectful to NYS officials as well as us taxpayers. They're just finishing renovations on their current stadium. It would be kind of a dick move to already be talking about moving to a brand new stadium IMO.

Because it's a pain in the ass crossing the border when it's work/business related. You get the customs agent having a bad day and you'll be stuck there for hours, even if all your paperwork is in order.

100 % correct. If you had a careless driving charge at age 19 it still stops your entrance into US at age 60 and also the other way around. Ludicrous.

Pegula also stated that money has just been used to work on the stadium. In my mind that is important. He will want public money to help with the downtown stadium and you don't want to seem what has been spent to go for naught. Florio just likes to seem important. I don't follow him. Always seems that he has his nose in the air like he is important.

The threat of the Bills leaving is something that can be used to get public money to put towards a new stadium. It is business tactic to create leverage so obviously Pegula is vague about it. He can't come out and say we aren't leaving regardless of what happens when the lease is up. Hopefully they work out a deal that is beneficial to both parties.

The threat of the Bills leaving is something that can be used to get public money to put towards a new stadium. It is business tactic to create leverage so obviously Pegula is vague about it. He can't come out and say we aren't leaving regardless of what happens when the lease is up. Hopefully they work out a deal that is beneficial to both parties.

Pretty sure his quotes were about New Era Field, not about leaving Buffalo. He's not being vague at all...

I don't think Florio intentionally misled anyone. I just don't think he's very knowledgeable of Pegula and the Bills stadium situation.

Then maybe he shouldn't be "reporting" on it.