RT dumpster fire

First, it's training camp...

Second, you are not going to get a "very good RT" in a trade for Wood, who is aging and will be a FA after this year (which you even mentioned).

Let it play out, my man.

You're not going to get anything for Wood. Teams would just wait for you to cut him. He also counts 4.3 against the cap if we cut/trade him.

We have 12.9 as it stands right now, so I think we're trying to carry over as much as possible.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any cursory reading of football sites tells you that it's harder and harder to find good O linemen anymore because so many college teams play this spread stuff. Plus a similar ccursory reading tells you that defenses are always ahead of offenses early in camp.

Mills was part of a line that led to the #1 rushing team last year, and Dawkins is a rookie that is learning. Relax.

Mills doesn't even look good in camp and Dawkins has yet to challenge him by all reports.

I still think S, LB, and TE are worse position groups especially with regard to depth, but right now whoever starts at RT is the worst of the 22 starters by far.

Options:

1. Deal with it until Henderson comes off suspension. Let Mills and Dawkins platoon until Henderson comes back then cut Mills

2. Give one or more of the interior lineman a few practices at RT - Ducasse played OT in college, Groy has played a few games at OT too.

3. Austin Howard - he and Ryan Clady are the only OTs on the top 50 FA list. He might be worth a look

4. Trade Wood for a very good RT. Hear me out. I would not do this but it could be a scenario. Groy played as well as Wood last season. Wood is in the last year of his deal. Wood is 5 years older than Groy. If a team loses a center in camp, the Bills might be in a position to take advantage of their need.

Most likely scenario is just deal with it. If Cordy is healthy, they can slide protection help to the right side all game long.

What's the weakest position on the team is an irrelevant data point. If your team is All-World, you still have a weakest position on the team.

The question is how does this position compare with the other 31 teams? I'd guess it's not horrible, maybe in the range of 15th to 20th in the league, because there are plenty of teams that are hurting at right tackle. For most teams, the position is always a work in progress. Bengals starting right tackle has four career starts in two seasons, for example.

The problem with right tackle is that if you have someone good, he moves to play left tackle, on your team or another team. The result is that the starting right tackle on most teams changes every year or two or three. The Bills have a Mills, a guy with good experience, Dawkins, a guy with a pretty high rating coming out of college, and Henderson, a guy who can play but with questions about him. That's about as much as you can expect at right tackle. It isn't a dumpster fire.

What's the weakest position on the team is an irrelevant data point. If your team is All-World, you still have a weakest position on the team.

The question is how does this position compare with the other 31 teams? I'd guess it's not horrible, maybe in the range of 15th to 20th in the league, because there are plenty of teams that are hurting at right tackle. For most teams, the position is always a work in progress. Bengals starting right tackle has four career starts in two seasons, for example.

The problem with right tackle is that if you have someone good, he moves to play left tackle, on your team or another team. The result is that the starting right tackle on most teams changes every year or two or three. The Bills have a Mills, a guy with good experience, Dawkins, a guy with a pretty high rating coming out of college, and Henderson, a guy who can play but with questions about him. That's about as much as you can expect at right tackle. It isn't a dumpster fire.

A voice of reason

It's year 18, so forgive jaded fans for not thinking this is an 11-5 season coming up...

Putting words in my mouth, I see, where have I stated this season going to be an 11-5 season? Nowhere! Let's be honest after four practices and only three that included pads to call the RT a position a dumpster fire; is a little insane is it not?

Forgive me for not pulling out my hair all the while kicking and screaming on the ground due to a rookie having trouble in his first four practices. The offensive line is one unit we shouldn't be worried about.

So our defensive line is beating our offensive line and this OP is complaining? Last I checked, MOST fans were hoping for dramatic improvements from the defense, which was pretty mediocre last year. I would love for someone to explain to me how we can essentially have our cake and eat it too. Should Taylor and the offense be walking up and down the field all day on the defense? This OP pretty much starts any thread the same way. "DOOM".

Lol what?

If anything Tyrod makes it doable for Mills to be starting. If they had a typical pocket QB Mills would've been gone a while ago.

I know you're not suggesting that it's harder to defend a tighter pocket, right?

I'm wondering (as I have generally respected your opinions) what your thoughts are on the other points. Do you agree that TT's mobility removes some of the left-side vulnerability that other right-handed QBs possess? And, would you agree, given our offensive situation, that more pressure was applied defensively to the right side of our O-line than would be to most other teams?

Run every play to the left! But seriously give Dawkins some time. He has been busy playing LT. Also, of all of the OL positions I feel like RT would be easiest to fill in case we had to pick up a veteran later on after other teams make their cuts. Of all of the positions of need I think safety should be a higher priority than RT and I'm hoping they sign a veteran at that position

And yet it has been ignored again, drafting a guard to play tackle is foolish. After this year they will finally learn.

Every single year at camp, the defense runs roughshod over the line for the first week or two and people act as if the sky is falling.

RT has been a disaster for years.