The Ravens Will Struggle in 2017

@Ravens

Coach Harbaugh confirms that RB Kenneth Dixon is out for the season after knee surgery.

Reports: QB Joe Flacco is dealing with a back issue, and the timetable is uncertain. http://rvns.co/7gs

Flacco has a back injury, Dixon is out for the year and now.....

@AaronWilson_NFL

Ravens offensive lineman John Urschel announces his retirement from the NFL. Has many academic opportunities ahead of him

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@caplanNFL

Typically see a few retirements before camps start, but rarely with someone so young. Urchel was going to compete for starting center job.

Many of you will recall that Urchel is s graduate of Canisius HS. And he's extremely intelligent.

@eric_edholm

John Urschel figured it out. Play 3 years. Earn pension. Fall back on career in spectral graph theory/matrix algebra.

More guys should try.

If half the league starts using the NFL like it uses them, I'm all for that. Unfortunately, seldom few have the prospects off the field that Urschel does.

@eric_edholm

John Urschel figured it out. Play 3 years. Earn pension. Fall back on career in spectral graph theory/matrix algebra.

More guys should try.

Don't begrudge or question the guy retiring, but kinda a Richard move so close to camp though no?

@eric_edholm

More guys should try.

Wow, I would have played a few more and collected some more money before retiring. But this guy is a genius so he knows the risks of playing. I wish him well and it makes me really proud he went to my high school. Great representative.

And Dixon sucks and JU was a fringe starter. It only matters if Flacco is out or severely hampered.

No empathy here -as I round into Bills Mode '17. Any AFC team with offensive woes is a good thing for us. I'm just sorry we don't play them early n the season.

We played them earlier in the season last year and lost to them while they scored 13 points. Ruined my birthday.

Don't begrudge or question the guy retiring, but kinda a Richard move so close to camp though no?

If he wakes up one morning and realises that he'd just be going through the motions, that's equally damaging to the team.

Once retirement crosses your mind, it's typically a sign that you should walk away.

they've been struggling for years now actually.

They are brilliantly coached. With a poor Head Coach they'd have been lucky to win more than 3 games the last couple of years. I don't think Ozzie (future HOF GM that he is) has done a great job of re-stocking since their last Superbowl.

If he wakes up one morning and realises that he'd just be going through the motions, that's equally damaging to the team.

Once retirement crosses your mind, it's typically a sign that you should walk away.

I think that's his point. I doubt retirement "just crossed his mind" a couple of days ago. I completely respect his decision, and he doesn't "owe" the Ravens anything, but one may certainly suggest he could/should have had the conversation with them a little bit sooner so they could prepare.

And that said -- screw the Ravens. I'm sick of 'em.

I think that's his point. I doubt retirement "just crossed his mind" a couple of days ago. I completely respect his decision, and he doesn't "owe" the Ravens anything, but one may certainly suggest he could/should have had the conversation with them a little bit sooner so they could prepare.

And that said -- screw the Ravens. I'm sick of 'em.

We don't know that there hasn't been an open dialogue between Urschel and coaches about the subject. Teams tend to have an understanding at the point of drafting a player if he's got options beyond the football field so I doubt this news has caught them completely off guard.

Anyone who has read his pieces for the Players Tribune are aware that he's been conflicted about playing the game, that his mother hates him taking the risks that the NFL presents.

They are brilliantly coached. With a poor Head Coach they'd have been lucky to win more than 3 games the last couple of years. I don't think Ozzie (future HOF GM that he is) has done a great job of re-stocking since their last Superbowl.

absolutely. great special teams. same defensive system. sign great free agents like weddle and the guy from zona this year i forget his name. not elite really anywhere but good overall.

Agree but they have been completely been hamstrung by the Flacco deal. They had to let a lot of good FAs walk but you have to pay a qb that just won a SB.

I didn't know John Urschel went to Canisius. Any back story on that? Did his family move to Buffalo or was there a particular reason why he ended up there?

I think his dad got a job here. Canisius has been getting a lot of Canadians to play there recently. St. Francis had a RB from Toronto that was at Penn State and now at Nevada.

WNY football has really improved.

Agree but they have been completely been hamstrung by the Flacco deal. They had to let a lot of good FAs walk but you have to pay a qb that just won a SB.

I think his dad got a job here. Canisius has been getting a lot of Canadians to play there recently. St. Francis had a RB from Toronto that was at Penn State and now at Nevada.

St. Joe's is starting to do the same thing that Canisius did - recruit kids coming from Canada or the inner city and give them scholarships.

If half the league starts using the NFL like it uses them, I'm all for that. Unfortunately, seldom few have the prospects off the field that Urschel does.

It's just as likely that he will be back looking for NFL work in a year or two as not.

Kinda' tough to beat being a professional athlete and sometimes doors don't open for these football/genius types like they expect they will.

But good for him if he can stay away and be happy.

St. Joe's is starting to do the same thing that Canisius did - recruit kids coming from Canada or the inner city and give them scholarships.

I think it's great if they are holding them to the same standards as every other student. I hated the rules when I was there but they mold you into a better man.

Sadly, there was some shady academic stuff at canisius a few years ago (Lakeshore kid).

they haven't been hamstrung by his deal. they have not had a good run game in a few years. their defense has still been good which gets them a lot of wins. other than the torn acl year he's been a rock at the most important position in football. his consistency is very good.

We don't know that there hasn't been an open dialogue between Urschel and coaches about the subject. Teams tend to have an understanding at the point of drafting a player if he's got options beyond the football field so I doubt this news has caught them completely off guard.

Anyone who has read his pieces for the Players Tribune are aware that he's been conflicted about playing the game, that his mother hates him taking the risks that the NFL presents.

It is absolutely true that we have no idea what sort of discussions there have been between Urschel and the Ravens up until this point.

they haven't been hamstrung by his deal. they have not had a good run game in a few years. their defense has still been good which gets them a lot of wins. other than the torn acl year he's been a rock at the most important position in football. his consistency is very good.

They let one of the best olinemen in football walk because of Flacco's deal.

@eric_edholm

More guys should try.

3 years in and get a pension? Thats pretty sick. He also made 1.8 million dollars and is only 26. Once he retires he should get like.. a free 20 grand a year. Only thing that isn't clear is - do you get this when you "retire" from the NFL? Or when you retire from like, working all together.

And all this stuff:

• A Joint Replacement Program provides assistance to former players who require medically necessary joint replacement;
  • A Medicare supplement program helps to pay for Medicare supplement insurance for those 65 or order and covered by Medicare;
  • Life insurance for those under 55 years of age;
  • A neurological care program with no out-of-pocket expense to retired players;
  • A spine treatment program with no out-of-pocket expense to retired players;
  • A discount prescription drug card;
  • And priority access to assisted living facilities.

teams lose players. sometimes that happens. it's not all on flacco. it's the most important position and to have the consistency at that spot is worth every penny of his deal.

Oh please, make it happen. Rooting for chaos is all I've got.

Jim Hairball has been touting Kap too so it makes sense that he is talking to john about him. And I think their ownership wouldn't shy away. Plus Greg Roman is there. Edited by YoloinOhio

Oh please, make it happen. Rooting for chaos is all I've got.

I really don't think they will be that much chaos with him. A lot of players agree with him (he won the 49ers team award) & he's not going to do it. The major problems with be from story hungry media and "true Patriot" fans.

I really don't think they will be that much chaos with him. A lot of players agree with him (he won the 49ers team award) & he's not going to do it. The major problems with be from story hungry media and "true Patriot" fans.

Oh, I know. There's just a few folks on Twitter that I want to watch unravel :D

you'll see the raiders lose guys as soon as carr's deal kicks in and mack's for that matter. you just hope those guys keep producing at high levels and you draft well to get the cheap guys. it's a big time balancing act