Who's closer... Bills or Sabres?

The Sabres are closer to a championship because they have their franchise player already.

Yup. The Sabres have a young superstar player to build upon and use as a foundation. The BIlls do not.

sabres. eichel, ror, okpo, kane reinhart risto. that's a great young corps that just needs a coach who knows what he's doing. if a couple guys like nylander and guhle take a jump this team could be really good.

The bills have some real potential on paper. If the defense is back to top five...like if shaq is a force, ragland a stud mlb and white a nice cb then this defense could be really good along with all the other guys. top 5 defense, top 10 offense makes a really good team.

I think both teams are finally on the right track.

The Bills with Beane and McD, two R1 picks in 2018, and a ton of cap space in 2018. The Sabres with Botterill and Housley and building the team by starting with the defense.

It may still take a few years, but it all starts at the top. I think both teams have the right people in place to make the right decisions to get them to where they want to be.

My prediction:

Bills in three years (once Brady calls it quits).

Sabres in three years (Botterill needs time for the young guys to mature and to add some key vets).

I like what the Sabres have done with their GM and HC but I love what the Bills have done at GM/HC. The Bills finally hired young, smart, detail-oriented quality people for the positions of GM an HC. I always liked Whaley's ability to identify talent but really see now that he lacked an overall vision, organizational goal and ability to manage and improve all aspects of the organization. Things have changed dramatically since MC was hired. Everything has been re-evaluated from training camp, practice format, rookie orientation etc. I get the sense that analytics and managing contracts will be more important and that the team will be able to outsmart and stay ahead of many other teams. The contrast between Beane/MC and Whaley/Ryan cannot be any further apart.

And I believe HC and organizational structure/culture is right up there with the QB position. If you don't have the right HC and organizational structure it is very difficult to win and almost impossible to have sustained success. I believe strongly the Bills are in very good hands with the GM/HC and we are better at the QB position than most people think. The Bills will surprise many this year with how well they play and by 2018 the Bills should be a contender in the AFC.

I don't think Its even close. The Sabres are loaded with young talent and have a potential superstar in the making with Eichel.

Sabres will make the playoffs this season and the Bills will not. If Brady plays at a high level for 3 more years the Pats will continue to own the Bills.

I hope so, but I wouldn't bet any money on this.

Obviously, both teams' prospective success is conditioned upon having the right GM/HC combination...

With that said, I'll say Sabres. Up front, they actually have the makings for a very good top-6 right now (even without Kane--assuming they do end up trading him) from Eichel, ROR, Okposo, and Reinhart, and still have some very intriguing young prospects in Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste. On the back end, they have a stud in Risto, what looks to be a reliable 2nd pairing guy in McCabe, a potential gamer in Guhle, and vets in Gorges and Bogosian that can be a 3rd pairing; they're still missing the other stud defender that can make plays on the body as well as in transition.

Regarding the Bills, it's really hard to pick a team that still hasn't identified their franchise QB. I like Tyrod, and with a great team around him, there's a chance he could make enough plays to win, but that's not what surrounds him right now. The depth behind their top players at RB/WR/TE is altogether unproven, and their top 2 targets in the passing game--while quite productive when healthy--have each had multiple injury issues. Defensively, they lack depth at the DE positions and are a complete question mark at LB. There's a chance that the secondary could be very good, but that's relying upon a bounce-back year from Darby, and improvement from Seymour, a quick-study in Tre White, and Poyer playing up to potential at safety.

Just my 1 cent.

I actually would take the over on this. Eichel missing the start of the season set them back. New coach everyone will buy in. I actually think they make the playoffs and win the first round.

When I look at the Eastern Conference, I don't see them as one of the best eight teams. We'll see.

Yup. The Sabres have a young superstar player to build upon and use as a foundation. The BIlls do not.

If we had a QB I would say Bills but the Sabers at least have some young talent and Jack so I'll go with the Sabers. I think the Sabers are a goalie and good forward away from making the playoffs every year.

I don't think that either is particularly close. I guess that I'll say Sabres because you can make a run in the NHL Playoffs from any spot. Nashville is a great example.

I actually think the opposite. It only takes a 4 game hot streak to win it all in football after going 9-7 or 10-6 like the Giants & Steelers seem to do so often. A 4 game hot streak in the NHL gets you through 1 series haha.

I actually think the opposite. It only takes a 4 game hot streak to win it all in football after going 9-7 or 10-6 like the Giants & Steelers seem to do so often. A 4 game hot streak in the NHL gets you through 1 series haha.

I guess maybe I'm saying it wrong. The gap between 1-8 in hockey is closer than the gap between 1-6 in football (especially when you factor in home field advantage). If that team that just got in the playoffs plays well they aren't that far from the best teams. If Miami played great they still weren't winning at Pittsburgh, at KC or Houston and at New England. The Bills last year should have been in that position if not for Rex against Miami. They might have competed in the WC game but they weren't capable of making a run.

Sabres are still a year away from playoffs and 3-4 years from a serious Cup run (when Nylander and Middlestadt sp) are ready to join the core. Ennis and Moulson will be gone and our goalie situation will be settled. Eichel, Okposo, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Nylander, Middlestadt, Risto, Guhle, McCabe, Antipin. Filling in the rest should be easy and hopefully Kane brings in a future player.

I honestly don't ever expect the Bills to make the playoffs again and certainly can't imagine a Super Bowl. Not until there is a franchise QB will I be able to even discuss a playoff opportunity. I feel good about the Coach and GM but that is going to take some time to shake out.

Classic Defeatist BBFS Pessimism. Why even bother being a fan if there's no hope of ever achieving the ultimate prize?

Well, making the playoffs is a pretty big step for both organizations. Even having winning records. That's what I look for. Too numbed out to expect better. Sometimes a big win on a given Sunday makes the week better. At least with the Pegulas there is a small chance. Under RW this decade there was none.

I always say just one before I die, either referring to the Sabres or Bills. IMO, I think the Bills are closer once Brady & Belicheat are out of the division we will probably compete yearly for the division title and get home playoff games.

Actually take I take that back I will only be happy if Bills win the Superbowl, not the Sabres.

I always say just one before I die, either referring to the Sabres or Bills. IMO, I think the Bills are closer once Brady & Belicheat are out of the division we will probably compete yearly for the division title and get home playoff games.

Actually take I take that back I will only be happy if Bills win the Superbowl, not the Sabres.

Not really a hockey fan. I could not imagine rooting for both. Some pretty tough fans around that do.

I guess maybe I'm saying it wrong. The gap between 1-8 in hockey is closer than the gap between 1-6 in football (especially when you factor in home field advantage). If that team that just got in the playoffs plays well they aren't that far from the best teams. If Miami played great they still weren't winning at Pittsburgh, at KC or Houston and at New England. The Bills last year should have been in that position if not for Rex against Miami. They might have competed in the WC game but they weren't capable of making a run.

No, I got what you were saying, and yeah 8 seeds do generally fare better in the NHL. I just think it's very feasible for a team to get hot in the NFL and win 4 in a row (more so in the NFC than AFC).

good point, only argument on this is that look at those two QB's. Its easier to win it assuming you have a top tier QB.