Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

color me surprised to hear Botteril say the player will be in Buffalo next year. These guys I thought would make everyone do at least a few months in Rochester.

But damn it was fun to be in a bar in Buffalo when this came down...like we actually won something!!!!

And on a day where it looked like another Boston championship is inevitable, i needed it!!!

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am normally not a thread police guy, but has it become impossible for people to read? 

Agreed and where have the mods gone? 2nd thread created on a subject when there has been one all year that 5 or 6 of us have carried the discussion in. Hopefully, some of the people commenting on Dahlin will join us next year.

12 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Agreed and where have the mods gone? 2nd thread created on a subject when there has been one all year that 5 or 6 of us have carried the discussion in. Hopefully, some of the people commenting on Dahlin will join us next year.

It's actually the fourth with another now on TSW.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The quantity of posters on the hockey site is small compared to the football side of this site. But what I can comfortably say is that the core group of posters do know their stuff. While strong views and disagreements are evident they are presented in a more intelligent and respectful manner. I'm not good enough to be part of this intelligentsia but I'm smart enough to recognize it when I see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

The best Canadian player was ranked around 5 or 6 so there was no need for a fix lottery ! I also think that if the Sabres had won the lottery a few years back and took McDavid instead of Eichel ,Tim Murray would still be GM ! I will take a drug test if TBD requests one !

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Sabres have a long way to go before they can be considered relevant again. I’m not even sure the league knows they’re still playing.

Oh, they will be relevant again. in fact, very soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

This whole video was amazing. But, Oh my gawd that move at the 1:25 mark! I didn't even know how to react except to just start laughing. Unreal man. 

Dahlin is insanely talented and I can't wait to see him sart his career in Sabres' Blue and Gold.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/4/2018 at 10:42 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Well... we finished last. Again. All there is to do now is wait for the inevitable draft lottery loss. Again. 

I wish I could say I was happy to have the best shot at Dahlin but This year feels nothing like the Eichel draft year. Chances are high we don't pick 1st or even 2nd. 

And now we get the added stipulation to be the first ever team to finish 31st... yay... 

Brutal season. 

On 4/4/2018 at 11:21 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

No BBFS allowed. Pucker up for a new Dahlin.  :wub:

Well, you called it brother!

I was praying I'd get to bump this post and tell you that you were right! lol 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dahlin is insanely talented and I can't wait to see him sart his career in Sabres' Blue and Gold.  

Couldn't agree more! 

Amazing. I am still giddy as hell. I could hardly even sleep last night. I think I stayed up till 3-4am watching Dahlin highlights and reading articles and fan reactions. 

This kid is a franchise changing pick with his play on the ice. But not just that, either. Just like when the Oilers got McDavid and suddenly players wanted to go there. I feel Dahlin does the same for Buffalo. I could actually see a guy like Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Erik Karlsson (both swedes) wanting to sign here to play with Dahlin. 

This has to be a huge boost to all the players already in our locker room, too. 

And it should make Buffalo/Botterill less desperate too. Before this win, I think most GMs knew that Botterill pretty much HAD TO trade one of his top dogs (ROR, Reinhart etc) for a defenseman. Suddenly now our blue line doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it looks pretty damn promising. We have a legit top 4 and even a legit top pairing. I am sure Botterill will still make roster changes, but at least now it won't have to be a Chiarelli type (Hall for Larsson) desperation trade.

This draft lottery win is a game changer! 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, you called it brother!

I was praying I'd get to bump this post and tell you that you were right! lol 

Couldn't agree more! 

Amazing. I am still giddy as hell. I could hardly even sleep last night. I think I stayed up till 3-4am watching Dahlin highlights and reading articles and fan reactions. 

This kid is a franchise changing pick with his play on the ice. But not just that, either. Just like when the Oilers got McDavid and suddenly players wanted to go there. I feel Dahlin does the same for Buffalo. I could actually see a guy like Oliver Ekman-Larsson or Erik Karlsson (both swedes) wanting to sign here to play with Dahlin. 

This has to be a huge boost to all the players already in our locker room, too. 

And it should make Buffalo/Botterill less desperate too. Before this win, I think most GMs knew that Botterill pretty much HAD TO trade one of his top dogs (ROR, Reinhart etc) for a defenseman. Suddenly now our blue line doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it looks pretty damn promising. We have a legit top 4 and even a legit top pairing. I am sure Botterill will still make roster changes, but at least now it won't have to be a Chiarelli type (Hall for Larsson) desperation trade.

This draft lottery win is a game changer! 

O Ye of little faith.

Inside what happened in the 2018 NHL Draft Lottery room - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO — Hockey fans had to wait until about 10:15 p.m. ET Saturday night to find out which team won the 2018 NHL Draft Lottery but the results had been determined more than three hours prior to then.

Typically, the lottery results are unveiled all at once but this year the process was stretched out across the first two periods of Game 2 between the Vegas Golden Knights and San Jose Sharks to make the annual event more dramatic for the TV audience.

What people see on TV is quite different than what happens behind the scenes. Picks No. 15 through No. 4 were unveiled during the pre-game show and the three remaining teams were the Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes and Montreal Canadiens. As those fan bases eagerly awaited the final results of the draft lottery, there was a group of individuals eagerly waiting to leave the slightly-too-warm-for-comfort NHL Draft Lottery room they were sequestered in

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

O Ye of little faith.

Lol.

It was pretty hard to have much hope after the last 2, especially that crushing loss in 2015...

Buffalo sports fan syndrome is real! lol

Seriously man, even after they flipped that card with the Sabres symbol on it, it took my brain a second for it to actually register. It was almost like I seen the Carolina Hurricanes symbol in my head and was ready to start swearing. Then it clicked that it was actually the Buffalo Sabres symbol on the card and shock + elation took over. 

Then like 10 minutes later my brain starts going "wait, there's no way that they'd actually pass on Dahlin, right? Right?!". 

Between the Bills playoff appearance, their draft this year and now the Sabres draft lottery win, I really feel like our Buffalo sports luck is changing. 

I mean, we actually won the 1st pick AND the 3rd pick! I love it. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

TSN: Sabres win top pick in NHL Draft; Habs move up to No. 3

TORONTO — The Buffalo Sabres will select first overall at the NHL Draft for the first time in 31 years after winning Saturday's lottery. Buffalo entered the lottery with the best odds at 18.5 per cent and become the 16th team to win the sweepstakes.

"It's awesome, it's a great feeling. I wasn't too nervous about the whole process," said Sabres general manager Jason Botterill. "I hope (the fans) are ecstatic. They've been extremely supportive. You felt in the building, a lot of quietness coming into the games, but whenever we did something they wanted to cheer, they wanted to be supportive."

The Sabres have picked first overall twice previously taking Pierre Turgeon in 1987 and selecting Gilbert Perreault in 1970.

Perreault and Turgeon were great #1 picks, make it a third great one, the fans deserve it.

4 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

I more hopin' they become the Golden Knights of the east....

Yeah... But we need a heck of a lot more league social welfare to be thrown our way... And a first pick overall, multiple Stanley Cup winning goalie that some how became a back-up goalie @ age 32, then let loose.

Oh, and throw in a couple of vets from each team.

All that is  not going to help without crooked League help.  Keep dreaming if you think it's possible.:P

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Perreault and Turgeon were great #1 picks, make it a third great one, the fans deserve it.

I haven't been following.  Who they gonna big.  Any of the goalies worthy of a Andre-Fluery type pick?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But we need a heck of a lot more league social welfare to be thrown our way... And a first pick overall, multiple Stanley Cup winning goalie that some how became a back-up goalie @ age 32, then let loose.

Oh, and throw in a couple of vets from each team.

All that is  not going to help without crooked League help.  Keep dreaming if you think it's possible.:P

I haven't been following.  Who they gonna big.  Any of the goalies worthy of a Andre-Fluery type pick?

Are you comapring the NHL to NASCAR per chance...?

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This whole video was amazing. But, Oh my gawd that move at the 1:25 mark! I didn't even know how to react except to just start laughing. Unreal man. 

I was trying to watch the video and keep track of the time.  No need.  Just amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I was trying to watch the video and keep track of the time.  No need.  Just amazing.

The part where he kind of toe drags the puck, puts it between his legs from his backhand and just undresses that defenseman in front of the net. 

(right around 53ish seconds left in the video, and right after it switches from the clip of him in a yellow jersey to one of him in the green jersey) 

Anyway... 

yeah like you said the whole video is just amazing. I honestly can't believe we are going to be lucky enough to get to watch this kid in a Sabres jersey! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

The part where he kind of toe drags the puck, puts it between his legs from his backhand and just undresses that defenseman in front of the net. 

(right around 53ish seconds left in the video, and right after it switches from the clip of him in a yellow jersey to one of him in the green jersey) 

Anyway... 

yeah like you said the whole video is just amazing. I honestly can't believe we are going to be lucky enough to get to watch this kid in a Sabres jersey! 

No, I get it.  I was unclear.  I was trying to indicate that that particular move was so jawdropping I knew what you meant without having to check the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

The quantity of posters on the hockey site is small compared to the football side of this site. But what I can comfortably say is that the core group of posters do know their stuff. While strong views and disagreements are evident they are presented in a more intelligent and respectful manner. I'm not good enough to be part of this intelligentsia but I'm smart enough to recognize it when I see it. 

You're too modest, John. Your insights are well reasoned and always appreciated. If you ever long for intelligentsia, just have a look in the mirror.

Been looking it up... Dahlin was born in Trollhätten, Sweden... It sounds like a city like BFLo (though a bit smaller by population)... It's kinda near a lake (Vänern), has a Falls (Trollhätten Falls), and is on a canal w/locks (Trollhätte/Göta Canal)... :lol: I am going to like this Kid! :lol:

Hope he likes Buffalo...:)

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Seriously man, even after they flipped that card with the Sabres symbol on it, it took my brain a second for it to actually register. It was almost like I seen the Carolina Hurricanes symbol in my head and was ready to start swearing. Then it clicked that it was actually the Buffalo Sabres symbol on the card and shock + elation took over. 

Then like 10 minutes later my brain starts going "wait, there's no way that they'd actually pass on Dahlin, right? Right?!".

I was only sort of watching and thought they were flipping the 2nd pick card when the Sabres' logo showed up.  I went from totally bummed to elated in about 2 seconds.  Then I had the same thought:  "We're not going to do something stupid like trade down or pick someone who isn't Dahlin, right?  RIGHT!?!?!?!?

This is an epic get for the franchise...literally the shot in the arm that we desperately need.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

You're too modest, John. Your insights are well reasoned and always appreciated. If you ever long for intelligentsia, just have a look in the mirror.

I just woke up and looked in the mirror with great anticipation. What was reflected back to me was a little less than repulsive. I climbed back into bed hoping it was a bad dream. Reality can be so harsh that a cup of potent java is not required to jolt one out of their fanciful illusions.:ph34r:

On a positive note hopefully after nearly a quarter century the Bills got their franchise qb and the Sabres got their version of Bobby Orr to wake up the slumbering hockey team. All this was done in a weekend. The moral of the story is that it is not how you look but how you feel. :)

47 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I was only sort of watching and thought they were flipping the 2nd pick card when the Sabres' logo showed up.  I went from totally bummed to elated in about 2 seconds.  Then I had the same thought:  "We're not going to do something stupid like trade down or pick someone who isn't Dahlin, right?  RIGHT!?!?!?!?

This is an epic get for the franchise...literally the shot in the arm that we desperately need.

I hope that we don't have to read too many posts about them trading away the top pick, but it does seem to come up every year.  It's not something that happens in the NHL anymore.  The Fleury pick in 2003 was the last time the #1 was traded.  Those top picks have become way too valuable both with the salary cap post-lockout and with huge boost in player development we've seen in the last 10 or so years.  I'm starting to get the feeling that we'll never see that pick moved ever again.  It's going to take something like how Boston wound up landing the 2nd pick they used on Seguin, a team trading away a pick and then falling apart after the deal (look out, Ottawa!).

I didn't watch a single Dahlin highlight video before the lottery because I didn't want to get my hopes up.

WOW.  Can't believe the Sabres are going to get this guy.  What a game-changer.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

color me surprised to hear Botteril say the player will be in Buffalo next year. These guys I thought would make everyone do at least a few months in Rochester.

But damn it was fun to be in a bar in Buffalo when this came down...like we actually won something!!!!

And on a day where it looked like another Boston championship is inevitable, i needed it!!!

Dahlin has been playing in the top professional men's league in Sweden since he was 16yrs old. He's a pretty special case. 

I cant see any way he's riding the bus in Rochester. He's literally like th McDavid of defenseman. Kid is so special. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Dahlin has been playing in the top professional men's league in Sweden since he was 16yrs old. He's a pretty special case. 

I cant see any way he's riding the bus in Rochester. He's literally like th McDavid of defenseman. Kid is so special. 

I know, but was just surprised to hear him say this. These guys think everyone benefits from some time to develop in the A...but just not gunna happen with Dahlin

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I hope that we don't have to read too many posts about them trading away the top pick, but it does seem to come up every year.  It's not something that happens in the NHL anymore.  The Fleury pick in 2003 was the last time the #1 was traded.  Those top picks have become way too valuable both with the salary cap post-lockout and with huge boost in player development we've seen in the last 10 or so years.  I'm starting to get the feeling that we'll never see that pick moved ever again.  It's going to take something like how Boston wound up landing the 2nd pick they used on Seguin, a team trading away a pick and then falling apart after the deal (look out, Ottawa!).

This post is well timed. There was a discussion with Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about the cost of free agents and how teams are built. He made the point (that you are alluding  to) that signing big time free agents for costly long term contracts takes away your ability to make future moves. Paul Hamilton made the point that the waive of the future is to go after college players and European players because it is a smarter way of managing your cap and giving yourself more roster flexibility. 

What a day to be a Sabres fan!

I must admit, was dead wrong about the lottery fixes, happy to say I was 100 percent incorrect.

As far as Dahlin goes, I echo what a lot of you have said: This is clearly a day to remember and not only does this provider the Sabres with a very likely franchise defenseman, it trickles down and benefits so many other players, both forwards and defenseman.

Additionally: We have to be a little patient with Dahlin: Defenseman can take longer to develop, but I would be stunned if this guy ever turned out to be a bust. At minimum he is a low end #1 defenseman.

Will be interesting to see if the Sabres do keep the other Rasmus: Botterill may make more changes then we realize.

• Like (+1) 1