Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Huh. Interesting. I figured he'd be headed to Rochester. Sounds like it was Buffalo's decision to send him to Ontario instead. 

Also, as for Harrington' tweet - I'd be pretty amazed if Botterill could find anyone to take Moulson even at the max 50% retained. I'll definitely applaud him if he's able to pull it off. 

Even if they retained 50% and traded him it would be better than a buyout. Money would be off the books quicker that way and the cap hit would be less than a buyout.

Buyout would cost $3.6M against the cap next year and $666k in 2019.

Trade at 50% retained would leave $2.5M on the cap next year and then he'd be off the books completely after that. 

Can he choose not to go out there? Damn, I hope this was done in concert with Matt Mo. Dude has a family and young kids no? PLaying in the AHL in Ontario California does not sound like it would be appealing to him.

I will say this though..good on them recognizing the season is lost and not messing with any of the core prospects in Rochester. Trust the process OneBuffalo!

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Can he choose not to go out there? Damn, I hope this was done in concert with Matt Mo. Dude has a family and young kids no? PLaying in the AHL in Ontario California does not sound like it would be appealing to him.

I will say this though..good on them recognizing the season is lost and not messing with any of the core prospects in Rochester. Trust the process OneBuffalo!

I believe his wife is from Cali. 

”Matt has been a true professional, especially during this difficult decision,” Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill said. “Matt has previously spent time within the Kings organization early in his career and we felt this would be the best opportunity for him. From an organizational standpoint, we felt that with our young forwards in place in Rochester, we did not want to take away from their development and ice time by adding another veteran player at this time.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Projected Lineup

9 Evander Kane - 15 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville
67 Benoit Pouliot - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 24 Hudson Fasching
20 Scott Wilson - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 21 Kyle Okposo
17 Jordan Nolan - 22 Johan Larsson - 23 Sam Reinhart 

6 Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
19 Jake McCabe - 47 Zach Bogosian
4 Josh Gorges - 93 Victor Antipin

40 Robin Lehner 
31 Chad Johnson

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

History has been made!  A Sabres' defenseman scored in the 2017-18 season! 

Just finished watching the game

1) Yes McCabe scored, and guess who was parked in front of the net..Wilson! Maybe it ain't the coach!

2) I was flabbergasted when the goal did not get overturned, never even thought of the tag up angle, much like I thought Brady was down on Sunday. I am getting old :thumbdown:

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just finished watching the game

1) Yes McCabe scored, and guess who was parked in front of the net..Wilson! Maybe it ain't the coach!

2) I was flabbergasted when the goal did not get overturned, never even thought of the tag up angle, much like I thought Brady was down on Sunday. I am getting old :thumbdown:

Despite the record, I am becoming more and more convinced that Housley is the right coach. I truly think it's the players not following the game plan, and him not babying them like Bylsma did. 

People want to say say that because of our record that he is a worse coach than Bylsma, but I don't see it that way at all. 

Hes just not holding their their hand and forcing them to play an ultra safe, mistake free style. He wants them playing a more modern, fast, offensive style of hockey and it has led to more mistakes. That will eventually get fixed as the players adjust and we get better players more capable of doing what he wants. 

Also, listen to some of the post game interviews. Players (like Robin Lehner for ex) will say that the coach had a fantastic game plan and the players just didn't do what the coaches said. This has been a common theme for a few years now. 

And the way I look at it - when you see the players continue to make the same damn mistakes they've been making for years, and you see many of the same problems we had under Bylsma. That tells me it's the players, not the coaches. 

What impresses me me so much about Housley is his mind for the game.

He can tell you immediately after (or even during) a game what they did wrong and what they need to do better. He never says he has to review the tape first, like many coaches do. He is never at a loss for words on why they aren't having success like many other coaches. He always seems to have a great plan to fix what is wrong.

I have been very impressed listening to him talk about hockey. He understand the game at a level that a majority of people never will. He has dedicated his entire life to this game. He is a hall of fame player and one of the better defenseman to ever play the game. He was such a good all around defenseman. He wasn't just an offensive defenseman, or a defensive defenseman. He was good in all areas of the game and had an amazing attention to the small details, was always in the right position, which is what led to him being one of the highest scoring defenseman ever. 

Plus, the players all have such a great admiration and respect for him. Check out what Eichel said about him in that USA hockey issue 26CB posted above. It wouldn't let me copy and paste, so here's the link (it's on page 28 if the link doesn't take you directly there) - http://touchpointmedia.uberflip.com/i/900955-december-2017/29?

Sorry for the long reply. I am just sick of Buffalo fans always scapegoating coaches. I get mad when I see people saying Housley sucks and he needs to go (not referring to you in particular). IMO This is on the players... and I truly believe that Housley has what it takes to be a great coach. When he's has the talent around him as a coach, he's always produced. 

He needs to be given a true chance in Buffalo, with more talent around him. 

50 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

... Hes just not holding their their hand and forcing them to play an ultra safe, mistake free style. He wants them playing a more modern, fast, offensive style of hockey and it has led to more mistakes. That will eventually get fixed as the players adjust and we get better players more capable of doing what he wants. ...

Unfortunately, GMTM spent a lot of time and assets on acquiring the big (and slower) players he prefers to play a "heavy" game, like the Kings, for instance who won a couple of cups with that style. Speed kills. Especially when you have it on four lines and you can wear down opponents with your skating. We have those types in the pipeline, so it won't be long before we can roll four. I'm more concerned about our back end.