Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

“There’s a sense from other teams that the Sabres are sending signals that they are open for business, and you can ask about anybody whose name is not Jack Eichel,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said during Saturday’s Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada. “Now, I do think if you’re going to ask about a [Rasmus] Ristolainen or a Marco Scandella or a Sam Reinhart, you better be coming with a serious offer because I don’t think Buffalo is going to trade those guys unless the offer is great. But I think they are prepared to listen to everyone except the franchise player.”

A few years ago... We were in Amherst, I dropped my wife and daughter off to get their nails done at one of those Asian places... I think they were Vietnamese.  But anyway, I caught in broken English, Asian accent one convo about our beloved BFLo sports teams:

"Hey how about those Bills! <_<"

The simple reply was:

"BILLS SUCKS!"

My wife/daughter still laughs @ that comment. And... They hate sports.

Well... All I have to say now is:

"SABRES SUCKS!"

Who'd a thunk?

That's a common chant around these neck of the woods when I watch/follow Bills/Sabres games.  In my best broken English, Asian accent of course... Which isn't too far off my native tongue!

:(

On 11/20/2017 at 1:06 PM, zow2 said:

If the Sabres lose tonight, and look bad again...I'd fire Housley immediately after the game.  It's not my money, I'd pay him out and fire him.  Team needs a new system, a new message. 

The sabres should refund the season ticket holders. They can’t do anything right. Most f up group in sports

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow. Moulson on waivers! 

About damn time. Hopefully the Sabres get the message - no more free rides in Buffalo (at least I hope that's what it means...). 

Cmon, Matty Mo being waived says nothing. Sitting ROR, Sammy, and Okposo, now that would say something. They all suck this season.

Does Matty go to the Amerks or retire. Does it matter on the cap?

Or maybe we can convince Okposo he has an injury and send him to LTIR for the next 3 years ala the Leafs and Lupol. But that's right, i was told upthread the Leafs are above that nonsense and would never do something so undignified!:lol:

Edited by plenzmd1

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Cmon, Matty Mo being waived says nothing. Sitting ROR, Sammy, and Okposo, now that would say something. They all suck this season.

Does Matty go to the Amerks or retire. Does it matter on the cap?

Or maybe we can convince Okposo he has an injury and send him to LTIR for the next 3 years ala the Leafs and Lupol. But that's right, i was told upthread the Leafs are above that nonsense and would never do something so undignified!:lol:

Yeah you may be right.

Okposo seemed to think it sent a clear message of "get our **** together". Hopefully the rest of the team feels the same way. 

But hey, it's better than doing nothing and continuing to let Moulson take up an undeserved roster spot. 

And as for the Leafs, they absolutely tanked in 2016. 2015 they just plain quit on the season and were awful for the 2nd half of the year.

But 2016 (the first year of Babcock) they absolutely tanked. Their goal was not to win games, and they actively did things to ensure they lost more. That, to me, is tanking. 

Just look at the moves they made...

James Reimer got hot in goal so they traded him away (to be fair, he was a UFA to be). 

Then Bernier got hot and they benched him and rode Garrett Sparks, who was playing absolutely awful at the time. But they had no problem riding Bernier earlier in the year when he was playing badly. 

They called up a bunch of kids, and when they started playing too well, scoring goals and causing the Leafs to win a few games, they were immediately sent back to the minors. 

They traded away Kessel and Phaneuf for anything they could get (again, to be fair I guess they were deemed "problems"). Phaneuf, their captain and a top 2 d man on their team at the time, was given away for nothing tangible in return. Kessel didn't return much of significance either, considering he was their best player and leading scorer. Neither were UFA. 

And thats just off off the top of my head... 

Brendan Shanahan even said after they won the draft lottery that "we worked hard for this" (1st overall pick). I remember thinking at the time 'can you imagine if the Sabres had said that? They'd get slaughtered in the media'. 

And really, that was the biggest difference between the 2 tanks - Toronto's local media was fully on board and Buffalo's wasn't. Toronto's media praised every move, while Buffalo's criticized every move and wrote terrible stories that were then picked up by the national media. 

I mean, obviously Buffalo took the tank much further than Toronto as far as shipping away players. Buffalo did a full scorched earth tear down rebuild. Toronto did a retool and kept many players from previous rebuilds. But both teams still tanked. Buffalo for 2 years and Toronto for 1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, Wilson will add some much needed physicality to the lineup, as well as a good work ethic. 

His experience is a plus as well. This team needs more veterans to help the kids along and to bring some accountability to the room. Hopefully Wilson can help do that, even as a (likely to be) 4th line guy. 

Botterill obviously knows what he's getting with Wilson, so I'd imagine there has to be a reason he traded for him. 

Not sure im crazy about giving up a 5th round pick for a 4th liner. But the pick is 2 years out, and seeing as Detroit just recently gave up a 2018 5th and Riley Sheahan (who was their 1st round pick from 2010 or 2011) for Wilson and a 3rd, it's understandable. Obviously Detroit wanted to at least recoup their 5th. 

Sabres waiving of Moulson hits Okposo, Eichel hard -

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/04/sabres-waiving-of-moulson-hits-okposo-eichel-hard/

"It's tough," Eichel said. "He's a good buddy. I owe a lot to him. He's been there for me since the day I was drafted. I've obviously become very close with Matt and his family. His wife and his two kids have basically been like family to me.

"I feel for him. He's one of the best guys that you can play with. I don't think that there's a bad word to be said about him."

Edited by BillsFan4

Game Preview: 12/5/17 at COL

LAST GAME
Saturday, December 2
Buffalo 1 at Pittsburgh 5
Goals: Pominville
Goalie: Johnson (24 saves/28 shots)
PP: 0/4; PK: 5/6; Shots: Buffalo 33 – Pittsburgh 29

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 128)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Taylor Fedun (lower body, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 9 games
Jacob Josefson (ankle, Nov. 28; injured reserve) – 3 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/30: 
Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Activated D Matt Tennyson; Placed Tennyson on waivers
12/1: Assigned D Matt Tennyson and G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL); Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Placed F Jacob Josefson on IR
12/2: Recalled F Hudson Fasching from Rochester (AHL)
12/4: Acquired F Scott Wilson from Detroit in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft; Recalled F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Assigned F Kyle Criscuolo to Rochester; Placed F Matt Moulson on waivers

UPCOMING GAMES
Friday, Dec. 8:
 Buffalo at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 10: Buffalo at St. Louis, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 12: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 14: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 15: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at AVALANCHE

• This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Avalanche this season.
  • Last meeting: Colorado defeated Buffalo 5-3 in Colorado on Feb. 25
  • Next meeting: Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Avalanche; 3-5-2 on the road.
  • This is the 142nd game all-time between Buffalo and Colorado; Buffalo has a 61-56-24 series record.
  • The Sabres are 23-35-13 on the road against the Avalanche all-time.