Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

Dareus has 60 million reasons not to strive for greater things. As long as he doesn't get suspended, what does he care. The worst thing the Bills could have done, is handed this guy a HUGE contract in light of his prior off the field troubles(synthetic marijuana, drag racing, weight issues).

Now they are stuck with him for at least two years due to dead cap space numbers.

Dareus plays hard when he is actually on the field, so if he cares that he doesn't get suspended, and is on the field, then both parties will be happy.

As long as he doesn't get suspended again, we aren't "stuck" with him. He is a high caliber player.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we can't use hindsight to evaluate draft picks? Are we required, then, to simply rely on what Mel and Todd and Mayock said at the time about the pick? At any rate, you did not need extraordinary powers to know that AJ Green and Julio Jones (not to mention Patrick Peterson) were going to have a far greater impact than even a very good defensive tackle.

As to your statement that Dareus was the "best d-lineman in the draft", well, that just laughable. He's at best the fourth best defensive lineman taken in the first round that year, behind JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, and Mo Wilkerson. It's a stretch to say Dareus has been better than Cameron Jordan and there is no way in hell he's better than Jurrell Casey, who the Titans took in Round 3.

You didn't need to listen to Kiper, McShay or Mayock to see how good of a player Dareus was at Alabama.

Marcell Dareus was a legitimate Top 5 pick in that draft, and D-Line was a priority for the Bills that year.

The selection of Dareus made sense.

He couldn't do anything in the modern NFL, dealing with salary caps, etc. The game passed Bill by. But they do let him yap on TV.

The NFL salary cap was instituted in 1994.

In that time Bill Polian went 160-96 with 11 playoff appearances and made 2 Super Bowls.

You are a poster who defends just about every move and player made by the Bills despite a 17 year playoff drought, yet you rip Bill Polian with that legacy and record saying he "couldn't do "anything" in the modern NFL." Man you have a warped view of reality.

I just hope this new "all star" front office doesn't build a team full of Chris Kelsey's. At some point actual talent is needed, not just a bunch of "lunch pail"/"high motor" slow lighter skinned guys.

I don't think this has anything to do with skin color.

This has everything to do with attitude.

Dareus plays hard when he is actually on the field, so if he cares that he doesn't get suspended, and is on the field, then both parties will be happy.

As long as he doesn't get suspended again, we aren't "stuck" with him. He is a high caliber player.

He hasn't been an impact player since 2014. His last two years have been crap. Now if you want to blame that on Rex, then....only time will tell because that blowhard is no longer in the picture.

Dareus knows that no matter what, he gets his $...we can have headlines that makes the FO sounds like they are serious and he better be on his best behavior or else.....it doesn't mean anything.....like at all.....he could be the absolute worst NFL player next year and we have to keep him for at least another year.....he's got us by the balls...our only hope is that he cares and produces as we all know he can.....

Those headlines are just for show...it does sound great, but it is an empty threat....

Just to be devil's advocate - what if his agent said we'll go into free agency if you need that language in the contract. Would you have let him walk?

I would and I would go to press that the player insisted on such a clause which has no affect he does not have a relapse so why is his agent pushing so hard for it?

my thoughts exactly. I'm surprised anyone is bashing his actual play.

In that time Bill Polian went 160-96 with 11 playoff appearances and made 2 Super Bowls.

You are a poster who defends just about every move and player made by the Bills despite a 17 year playoff drought, yet you rip Bill Polian with that legacy and record saying he "couldn't do "anything" in the modern NFL." Man you have a warped view of reality.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You didn't need to listen to Kiper, McShay or Mayock to see how good of a player Dareus was at Alabama.

Marcell Dareus was a legitimate Top 5 pick in that draft, and D-Line was a priority for the Bills that year.

The selection of Dareus made sense.

Looking back was there a single NFL fan (that knows Buffalo has a team) that expected anyone but Dareus?

My Mom even knew that one. And it was a good pick at the time.

Looking back was there a single NFL fan (that knows Buffalo has a team) that expected anyone but Dareus?

My Mom even knew that one. And it was a good pick at the time.

it was either von miller or dareus.

The attack on PTR was unnecessary. But the first two lines did strongly refute PTR's dismissal of Polian's POV.

Polian may be getting old, but he still knows more about football than anyone on this site. I'm personally grateful to the guy for being the only GM to build a SB team here in Buffalo.

His resume really does speak for itself.