Knowing what you know today about Kelly and Brady

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are some of you guys kidding? Winning is great, but it is not always the most important thing.

I'd rather root for a team led by Jim Kelly every time! I would hate rooting for that whiner Brady. No question Brady has a ton of mental toughness,

but he wouldn't have lasted one season back in the day with the way QBs got plastered back then. Kelly was tough as nails both mentally and physically

and I think his game was more fun/interesting to watch than Brady's.

And as crazy as it may sound, I'd take those 4 SB losses over 4 SB wins with Brady any day because of everything else it meant. The comradeship and family atmosphere of that team, the perseverance and resiliency (great life lessons for us all). It was special to root for that team. The players, the cities (I include Rochester in that), the coaches, heck even the media, we all bonded together. As fans you felt like those guys were part of your family. (I hope some of you younger fans get to eventually experience that.) And Jim was a huge part of that happening. The team parties at his house after each game, etc., etc. I don't think New England has anything like that despite multiple SB wins and a lot of that has to do with the personalities of the Hoodie and Tom (as opposed to Marv and Jim)---and of course Boston fans compared to Buffalo fans.

So, no question, I'm taking Kelly over Brady every time!

Edited by folz

I'm still waiting to see how he does in his 16th year...the 1st 15 could simply have been beginner's luck.....

On a serious note, how is this really a question ? We all love JK, but no one in their right mind would pass on Brady knowing what we know now.....

First comment....very funny! Very, very funny!

Second.....agreed!

Yep. There are entire games he virtually never gets touched. Granted, a lot of it is him. He's smart, quick release, throws ton of quick hitters, great at moving in pocket. But he gets ridiculous protection every single game and season. It's also not that crazy to think that the greatest QBs of all time get help from their coach and others. Joe Montana and Steve Young are two of the very best ever and who knows what they would have done without Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice. Young got killed his first couple years.

Montana couldn't play in bad weather.

I think every QB who has ever played would love to play in this era and would rack up ridiculous numbers. It's impossible to compare across eras because the game changes so dramatically.

Montana couldn't play in bad weather.

I think every QB who has ever played would love to play in this era and would rack up ridiculous numbers. It's impossible to compare across eras because the game changes so dramatically.

Mark Twain once said the worst winter he ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco. I thinkMontana did just find in thewind whipping in off the Bay..

Are some of you guys kidding? Winning is great, but it is not always the most important thing.

I'd rather root for a team led by Jim Kelly every time! I would hate rooting for that whiner Brady. No question Brady has a ton of mental toughness,

but he wouldn't have lasted one season back in the day with the way QBs got plastered back then. Kelly was tough as nails both mentally and physically

and I think his game was more fun/interesting to watch than Brady's.

And as crazy as it may sound, I'd take those 4 SB losses over 4 SB wins with Brady any day because of everything else it meant. The comradeship and family atmosphere of that team, the perseverance and resiliency (great life lessons for us all). It was special to root for that team. The players, the cities (I include Rochester in that), the coaches, heck even the media, we all bonded together. As fans you felt like those guys were part of your family. (I hope some of you younger fans get to eventually experience that.) And Jim was a huge part of that happening. The team parties at his house after each game, etc., etc. I don't think New England has anything like that despite multiple SB wins and a lot of that has to do with the personalities of the Hoodie and Tom (as opposed to Marv and Jim)---and of course Boston fans compared to Buffalo fans.

So, no question, I'm taking Kelly over Brady every time!

I admire your loyalty. But Brady won championships.

No way Brady would have survived the beating Kelley took.

People ignore that factor frequently. Almost no one played past mid 30s due to the beating.

Regardless, IMO a more interesting discussion is what happens if the Bills take Marino?

I hate Brady but this is a giant blowout. Jim Kelly was a terrible playoff qb. He played on a team with no salary cap.

What the Pats and Brady are doing is unprecedented. He, sadly, is probably the great qb ever.

People ignore that factor frequently. Almost no one played past mid 30s due to the beating.

Regardless, IMO a more interesting discussion is what happens if the Bills take Marino?

Surgeries are better now too. Marino probably could have played for a long time with his release but his Achilles injury was a killer when he played.

And Marino is far and way the better qb than Kelly. But Marino seemed to always want to be the star and I think guys secretly hated playing with him. He would have completely misused Thurman.

The big question is....who is coaching Brady?

I think Belichick is the reason Brady was able to succeed.

Lets not forget Brady was passed on 5 times by the Pats before taking him in the 6th. There is a reason for that.

I agree with Alaska Darin above - that it's impossible to compare QB's across era's. With that said I would take Brady because we've seen what he's done in this era vs thinking Kelly could - which I do.

The better question - which the point has been raised above: Would you take Brady or Kelly back then - the answer is exactly the reverse, except... I would take Kelly because I've seen him do it with the pounding allowed vs thinking Brady could still survive in that era - which I don't.