GM Doug Whaley has been fired

We've had coaching staffs all talk to about instilling a new culture but this is the first time I feel it's actually happening.

Honestly I don't feel anything. This is all just off-season fluff. When the games start, that's when I believe we will know. And I don't anticipate it'll all happen this year but if by the end of next year the team hasn't improved significantly McDermott will meet the same fate as Doug.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had coaching staffs all talk to about instilling a new culture but this is the first time I feel it's actually happening.

......Marrone tried to be General Patton (he told Brandon during interview and subsequent phone calls) with a substantial culture change and his methods rubbed Whaley and Brandon the wrong way......daily practice (at St John Fisher) followed by dinner and right back to SJF (staff and brass) for nightly meetings until 9 or 10 worn thin....tag teamed to force his exodus??.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Whaley was dead man walking for a long time anyway this had to happen. Rex had a lot of input in the draft last year and this year McDermott ran the show.

The whole empowering Whaley to make a coaching hire was a farce and I don't believe he had a say in any of the last 3 coaching hires. Relationship was doomed from the beginning. McDemott is now the Defacto GM/HC and whoever he brings aboard will probably answer to him. As long as there is clear hierarchy we have to see how it plays out.

I agree with this. I thought that Whaley was pretty good at talent evaluation - but it was clear that he had to go. He would have had no chance to succeed if he had stayed.

Ever heard of Tanking? It's what the Colts did for Luck. Not to mention a lot of the talking heads seem to think 4-12 is a distinct possibility next year. Unless you didn't read their "predictions". If Tyrod continues to trend down next year, and Sammy gets hurt again, I don't see our offense doing much scoring.

Offense scored a lot last year with Sammy hurt and taylor not great

Do you think that by itself should weigh in on a GM's performance evaluation ? Wsnt it addressed by handing McD the mic ?

It's not normal to have your head coach being the only representative at draft press conferences. They want a GM who is capable of handling himself in front of the media. If Whaley was a genius who didn't make dumb decisions, maybe they could have overlooked that aspect.

So true.

How about after the season?

So during that week where he was still employed but interviewing elsewhere he was also sitting in scouting meetings for college players on the offensive side of the ball.... ill buy the "he knew their needs" stuff but these added details are probably pushing it

not trying to argue. just converse on something that i have faith in knowing your history that you would likely provide a take i might not see on this - respect ya.

on another note. ..wgr is doing a ton of spin on this

We are fine. I am just lamenting the sequence of events which prove something I have been in denial about regarding the organization,

my goodness people have turned on Pegs fast.

Heck, they had been cursing him out for KEEPING Whaley until now, now hes a bad person for firing him?

Fan: He needs to do what I want!

*Tpegs does something*

Fan: not like that!

Well first off,I was wrong.I thought there was no way Whaley gets fired. Secondly I feel like Whaley got a raw deal in Buffalo. It's hard to build a winner,when you go through 3 coached in 4 years. And switch between 4-3's and 3-4's. However time to move on,and hope the next GM,brings us a winner.

I also think DW got a bit of a raw deal for the same reasons. I believe he has legit cause to feel bitter right now.

Then again - until maybe this year - he hasn't been good at drafting players, though he has been good at acquiring productive FAs. He wasn't the worst GM in the league but he wasn't the best either. If the Pegulas find a better GM, I'm very happy with the move.

Interestingly, Pegula wouldn't give any reason at all for the firing, not even a vague 'the roster needs to get better.' So I wonder if there's more to the story than we know.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I also think DW got a bit of a raw deal for the same reasons. I believe he has legit cause to feel bitter right now.

Then again - until maybe this year - he hasn't been good at drafting players, though he has been good at acquiring productive FAs. He wasn't the worst GM in the league but he wasn't the best either. If the Pegulas find a better GM, I'm very happy with the move.

Interestingly, Pegula wouldn't give any reason at all for the firing, not even a vague 'the roster needs to get better.' So I wonder if there's more to the story than we know.

Assuming Whaley was doing the drafting.

Probably just adds to the concept of dysfunction in the FO.

This is easy. Pegula went with Whaley's absolutely fawning recommendation of Rex> He gave them another year to get it right. They didn't. Pegula fires Rex awithout even telling Whaley (disrespect!). And then Pegula delivers on his threat to can them both.

The Peterman pick... That's not a Whales board... can't be.

Agreed. He is basically the opposite of the type of QB Whaley has drafted. To be fair, we only seen Whaley draft 2 QBs, but both were almost the complete opposite of Peterman...

But I honestly feel much better about their chances of finding a true franchise QB now. Whaley seemed to like those, big, mobile QBs with huge accuracy issues.

If they are now going to put the emphasis on accuracy, anticipation, ability to read defenses, go through progressions, etc. I like our chances much better than when they were putting emphasis on those other things.

Assuming Whaley was doing the drafting.

Probably just adds to the concept of dysfunction in the FO.

It's late now, but again, he NEVER got to draft for the same scheme 2 years in a row.