GM Doug Whaley has been fired

Some day you guys will stop making excuses and realize how bad of a GM Whaley really was. Whaley put us in cap jail. Whaley made poor draft choices. Those are the primary roles of a GM. Manage cap and build team. Two things he was terrible at.

... and we know - hands down - that who ever they hire next will be the best GM ever.

The Pegulas couldn't possibly find someone who is worse than Whaley - could they?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one run outta town..

And the countdown clock is running on old Sean McDermott. I give him 3 years.

There's no question McDermott is in charge now. There should be no further debate as to who gets the credit or the blame going forward.

The point is Whaley never had full authority. He had the title but couldn't make his own decisions.

All good employees immediately B word about their bosses decisions. :doh: How dense are you?

I understand that Whaley may or may not have been responsible for hiring of any head coaches during his reign, but the one decision that he DID make was the Watkins fiasco. Technically Buddy Nix selected EJ Manuel so I am not going to directly blame him for that pick. But the Watkins move was pretty sad. It had been said before that draft that it was going to be a good year for WR's... That decision alone could be justification for firing Whaley IMHO... In essence Whaley wasted two #1 draft picks with that decision... I don't know how anyone can possibly defend that one...

I understand that Whaley may or may not have been responsible for hiring of any head coaches during his reign, but the one decision that he DID make was the Watkins fiasco. Technically Buddy Nix selected EJ Manuel so I am not going to directly blame him for that pick. But the Watkins move was pretty sad. It had been said before that draft that it was going to be a good year for WR's... That decision alone could be justification for firing Whaley IMHO... In essence Whaley wasted two #1 draft picks with that decision... I don't know how anyone can possibly defend that one...

Watkins isn't a wasted draft pick. Expensive certainly.

... and we know - hands down - that who ever they hire next will be the best GM ever.

The Pegulas couldn't possibly find someone who is worse than Whaley - could they?

....quite frankly, I nominate Jerry Sullivan....who on this planet could possibly know MORE?.............

Honestly why is Watkins a fiasco? Fiasco is Watkins was a bum and never did anything. He's an elite talent. He's shown that. His crime is getting injured. So Whaley overpaid for an elite talent who gets injured. OMG tar and feathers are too good for him! We'll see if your opinion changes when Watkins has a pro bowl year or goes to the Pats after we cut him. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I am glad they finally did it. I'm disappointed in the timing. The next guy is lined up for a fail if they want them to be a "typical" GM. Coach is in place, roster is pretty much stocked... how do you hire for that? Whaley should have been out the door with Rex - then this would have been much better.

I'm happy with the roster right now (given where we started at the end of last year) - and I'm happy with the coaching staff... but rebuilding the Top of that is just different at this point of the season. Pegs should just hire a non-traditional GM who is going to fill in the gaps with McD - not try to hire a 'true' GM/Architect who now has 3/4 of the building in place. It just weakens their position tremendously - when we're trying to buy in to a long term coaching staff.

No we don't and we don't need to. Yes they could hire someone worse than Whaley. All they can do is try to do better. You don't hang onto a bad GM just because you could find someone worse.

Mike Brown is just so cheap and has DGAF

...he's a status quo, "don't rock the boat guy"......Marvin at the helm and TV revenues keep his world consistent.....ebs and flows of W's and L's are secondary.....why would he change and create more work for himself?.............

Just a pet peeve - I hate when pre/rumor threads are continued/morphed on into a mega mega thread when something is confirmed. Now have to go slog back through 57 pages to see where the discussion starts when the official announcement was made (after all the speculation discussion).

Edited by stevewin

Just a pet peeve - I hate when pre/rumor threads are continued on into a mega mega when something is confirmed. Now have to go slog back through 57 pages to see where the discussion starts when the official announcement was made (after all the speculation discussion).

around page 25 i think.