GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't like about this is based on reports and how McDermott has seemingly taken control - Pegula must have been talking bad about Whaley to McDermott and others. I don't like that and shows a real amateur hour approach. I'd like to see these things come as a surprise - clearly showing you're being respectful and professional as an owner.

Saying your organizations need structure, discipline and communication - then you tell everyone Whaley and McDermott get along great. Next thing we know McDermott is stepping all over Whaley's authority and job - gets fired - and "that's how you win".

I liked Whaley and I liked Murray but I wasn't beyond the understanding they might need to go - however the way these situations were handled was pretty ridiculous (especially Whaley).

I've been a big supporter of Terry and Kim and their right to run the clubs how they want to and I believe they should be involved as much as they want to. I'm seriously concerned though that they may be getting close to developing a reputation where legitimate FO talent may not want to work for them.

As it stands right now with the Bills, what experienced GM is going to want to take that job?

As I said up thread, it only seems like an assistant GM that is approved by McDermott and a yes man will fill the bill.

IMO TPegs is going to have trouble filling the GM position.

That assumes that Whaley had a problem with that power structure, which we didnt see any evidence of. If anything, it appeared that he was willing to work with the coaches and get the HC the players he needed to implement his schemes. If he was a power monger, he would have resigned a long time back. IMHO. ofcourse

while i think you realize i'm not a big fan of speculation and conjecture and i know you're not. and i know drd isn't and hoping he'll chime back in.

but it's multi faceted nonsense.

in this situation whaley did not need the power. whaley seemed to have a plan with a power structure different from pegula. pegula wanted the level playing field of management and all things equal. whaley seemed to want the dichotomy of the front office working for the football operations and the coaches working hand in hand with the him. not necessarily an archaic report to the gm and he then assigns the work kind of nonsense but more the "coach you tell me what you want and i'll work to get it" vs pegula's "coach tell us what you want and we will work to get it."

So, you're not married then I take it?

Your hysterical takes are just that. Hysterical.

Huh? Been married for 30+ years. Decisions in a marriage compared to how a business org chart should look?

So you think Pegula and his decisions since taking over the Bills and Sabres should not be criticized? I'd love to hear your non-hysterical response.

Edited by LabattBlue

As it stands right now with the Bills, what experienced GM is going to want to take that job?

As I said up thread, it only seems like an assistant GM that is approved by McDermott and a yes man will fill the bill.

Correct. McDermott is the GM.

It looks bad if you are desperately trying to find a reason to find an issue.

I don't think that there is anything the league could do, even if true. It would be AWFULLY hard to prove that the Bills stole Carolina's draft info - it isn't like Jones and Dawkins weren't expected to be picked about where they went in the draft. Could Carolina pursue tampering charges if they could prove that someone was leaking info to McDermott? Maybe, but why would a guy in a high level position in Carolina's FO risk undermining his own team by sharing info with McDermott? That would be suicide unless he had a guarantee that he would be hired as Bills' GM - which I doubt Pegula would have allowed.

"Hey Terry, Coach McDermott here. Say, I know Doug is getting canned right after the draft - is it OK if I guarantee my buddy from Carolina the job in exchange for information about their draft plans? Trust me, you don't have to meet him or interview anyone else."

If there are 3 (let's say Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph) then we are ALL SET.

We have the ammo to trade up to #2 if need be (2 1sts in 2018, 2nd in 2018, 1st in 2019, etc). It's happened a couple times recently.

Of course, IF Tyrod suddenly improves then that is a great problem to have because we get to use those picks on talent instead.

why trade up to #2 when we'll be picking #1?

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

It seems that might be the desired role at this point anyway

depends on if you mean fill the position or fill the positron with someone that is qualified for the job. I'm sure loads of ppl will want the job.

I love all the references here to the Bills being 'dysfunctional' because they fired a GM who seems to always have problems getting along with the HC, didn't find a QB, hasn't built a playoff team and struck out on his two biggest draft day decisions.

Guess they should have been functional and just stayed the course. :wacko:

Amen. Smart move by Pegs.

Could be that only dysfunctional people would've preferred that things stay the same, they may find comfort in more dysfunction.

Not what anyone is really saying there

Ok then, what exactly is generating all the cries of 'dysfunction' over the firing of a GM with the track record I described?

Or is it just the standard Bills fan kicking and screaming out of frustration any time there is a major change at OBD?