GM Doug Whaley has been fired

I trust Washington's front office less than any other front office. I believe they threw him under the bus. He is a respected talent evaluator across the league.

He also had a documented alcohol problem before this offseason and has openly advocated he can moderate instead of abstain. I'd prefer the latter from him if we are handing him the keys, regardless of this offseason.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust Washington's front office less than any other front office. I believe they threw him under the bus. He is a respected talent evaluator across the league.

While that may be true regarding their FO ((I have no idea), no self respecting organization can keep a drunk in a top spot. Or for any influential spot for that matter

Bottom-line results are what count, especially in the NFL. Anything less than making the playoffs is a failed season. The 3 seasons before Lil Doug became GM were failures. Being that he wasn't in charge, I can't assign too much blame to him, but they were failures nonetheless. He's been GM now for 4 seasons of failure, where the absolute maximum anyone should be given is 3 years. You only get one mulligan, and that's for your first year. I don't care about excuses, or any small successes, or any bleeding hearts weeping for him. I only look at the bottom line, and I see 7 years of failure, with 4 years of failure in charge... way, way past time for him to go.

Amen! Was wondering when you were going to join the party.

Right now, but his QB will be the 1st rounder next year.

I don't know. If there are 3 (just throwing that number out) elite QB's in 2018 draft, we only have 2 ways of if getting one:

1) we finish bottom 3, below other teams in need of a franchise QB. If not, no way any team will give up their pick if they value the QB like we will.

2) we give up the farm to trade up... like everything. Every team is going to know we want a QB. They won't budge without a HUGE return from us.

Therefore, we've gotta hope that the Bills kill it this year with with TT or Peterman proving they're franchise QB's. OR the Bills totally flame out and have a top pick in the draft. OR teams that suck and could finish worse than us (I.e. Cleveland, NYJ, Jax, SF, etc) realize that they're perfectly fine with the QB's on their roster, thus not needing to draft one.

I don't think it's a given at all that just having 2 first round picks lands us a stud QB next year... but we'll see!

Even though he may have been set up to fail, he did not do himself many favors by butting heads with two successive coaching staffs

This is simply not true in any way, shape or form.

The only guys who was ever a problem was Doug Marrone and everybody in the building hated him.

Yeah, Terry didn't sound well as usual, but who cares? The guy gets asked some stupid questions that people know he won't/can't answer...what do you expect him to do.

That being said, make no bones about it but Coach McD will have HUGE influence in who the new GM is. Pegs isn't going to stand up there and show his whole hand, never does as he'd rather not be roasted by the press.

The question about if he is embarrassed about the "dead money" from coaches and management was ridiculous. We as fans need to be happy they eprealized they were not moving in the right direction in either organization. I'd much rather them fire who's not working, then be concerned whether the next hire works out. At least they took action with the Bills and Sabres.

Thank you. The Buffalo reporters (and the Rochester ones) are for the most part dirt balls. As you said, asking dumb questions that he can't answer and for the most part are irrelevant.

SiriusXM NFL Radio Retweeted

upqy1gNM_bigger.jpgBuffalo BillsVerified account @buffalobills 2m2 minutes ago

More

General Manager Doug Whaley has been relieved of his duties.

C-qRbEuXoAAV8So.jpg

0 replies13 retweets3 likes

Retweet

Hallelujah !!!

I know a guy who works at the News...just texted me saying Whaley is going to be fired shortly.

Just a rumor...but they know whats going on down there....]

EDIT - the source at the news is Vic Carruci.

Well, the OP's nick tells a lot. This move smells like the old Bills. The only superbowl GM Bills had was also fired.

I love that you guys think Pegula is out of line or going overboard...it's his team. He wants to hire his people. He gave Whaley a couple years and it didn't work. So move on.

What's the big deal? I love the direction this team is moving in.

It's not just that he's a terrible public speaker, he has absolutely no real plan or vision on how he wants to setup his organization. And when you have no clear plan, you cant speak clearly. He still has no idea what type of strucutre he's going to end up with, which means he'll end up with NO structure and doing this all over again in 2 years.

his structure is lead from behind. that can be alright when you're able to implement good leaders to take charge and willing to not micromanage the situation.

maybe mcdermott is goign to be that leader and partner with the new gm to accomplish success.

pegula's best outcome would be to either

a) sell the team to someone willing and able to manage it better (i am not endorsing this)

2( hire advisers and/or a board to help him grasp the responsibility of the job in order to distance hismelf from the football actions and help him learn.. a football guru, a pro personnel man (not for the players but the front office), a contract man to work with his hires.

I love all the references here to the Bills being 'dysfunctional' because they fired a GM who seems to always have problems getting along with the HC, didn't find a QB, hasn't built a playoff team and struck out on his two biggest draft day decisions.

Guess they should have been functional and just stayed the course. :wacko:

So does that mean the whole offseason plan was McDermotts then?

People complaining about Gillislee, should direct their anger at McDermott. People upset about not picking up Sammys 5th year option should direct anger at McDermott. And so on and so on.