Bills OLB situation

I'll admit I'm not the Bills fanatic I used to be, but one of our starting OLB's is a situational pass rusher who was more of a ST guy prior to last season(Alexander) & on the other side, some guy named Ramon Humber. The guys behind them are even more of a mystery to me. I'm guessing OLB has to be addressed in the first 3 rounds, correct?

I agree totally. A guy like Hassan Reddick would be perfect if we could just trade down a couple of spots. We could still get him there and pick up and extra second or third rounder.

There are a few options in the second round as well, but none IMO that could be a guaranteed starter like Reddick right away. Peppers might also be there at 10 if there are any QB surprises before us. He could also translate into a good WLB if he could add 10 lbs to his frame. We will find out soon!

There is next to no hope for a big role from a rookie coming our way that would contribute as it should.

These guys everyone is obsessed with are one trick ponies.

We needed aj Klein and I'm amazed we diddnt eben try. Our d will get ruined in 2017 and be more embarrassing than the days of Kelsey linebacking.

I think you need another Labatts Blue! Clearly (according to all the other threads), we will be taking a quarterback in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. That should do it! If one of them can play OLB, the better!

How many teams are winning games consistently because of an OLB? This team has drafted for need and taken "safe" picks for years and it's gotten us nowhere. If the player grades are equal then I'd take a QB over an OLB every time.

I'll admit I'm not the Bills fanatic I used to be, but one of our starting OLB's is a situational pass rusher who was more of a ST guy prior to last season(Alexander) & on the other side, some guy named Ramon Humber. The guys behind them are even more of a mystery to me. I'm guessing OLB has to be addressed in the first 3 rounds, correct?

I share the same concern, we do need to draft an OLB. Hopefully we can do that early.

There is next to no hope for a big role from a rookie coming our way that would contribute as it should.

These guys everyone is obsessed with are one trick ponies.

We needed aj Klein and I'm amazed we diddnt eben try. Our d will get ruined in 2017 and be more embarrassing than the days of Kelsey linebacking.

Last year was pretty embarrassing, having 2 running backs rush for 200+ yards a total of three times, including two games in the last quarter of the season we needed to win to stay in the proverbial hunt.

Last year was pretty embarrassing, having 2 running backs rush for 200+ yards a total of three times, including two games in the last quarter of the season we needed to win to stay in the proverbial hunt.

thanks Rex.

Bradham would have been great in this d at Sam. Just saying

I'd love Reddick, Foster or Cunningham but there are some options in later rounds I like

Duke Riley

Elijah Lee

Anzalone (If he can stay healthy) to name a few

Jarrad Davis as well but I read somewhere that he could creep into the 1st

Edited by CNY315

I'd love Reddick, Foster or Cunningham but there are some options in later rounds I like

Duke Riley

Elijah Lee

Anzalone (If he can stay healthy) to name a few

Jarrad Davis as well but I read somewhere that he could creep into the 1st

Add Jayon Brown and Jalen Reeves-Maybin to the list. Both excel in coverage and seem like great fits as wlb/nickel backer in this scheme.

I'd be shocked if Davis made it to rd 2. I'd be ok with trading down into the late teens and drafting him there to be honest. He's a ball player and a good dude

Edited by NewEra

Add Jayon Brown and Jalen Reeves-Maybin to the list. Both excel in coverage and seem like great fits as wlb/nickel backer in this scheme.

I'd be shocked if Davis made it to rd 2. I'd be ok with trading down into the late teens and drafting him there to be honest. He's a ball player and a good dude

I like JRM too, if he was healthier this past year I feel he'd be a 2nd rounder or early 3rd, instead he's a 5-7th round pick for a team that runs a 4-3...he's a pure Will

not in the draft he doesnt

He drafted the runner up rookie defensive player in the NFL (it is not his fault that he got hurt)

He drafted a MLB in Preston Brown that had over 100 tackles (I have no idea if he fits this system)

Does he get credit for Nigel Bradham....I am not sure

but....the draft is only one part of a GM's job....he came up with TWO scrap heap linebacker's last year that made the pro bowl

He drafted the runner up rookie defensive player in the NFL (it is not his fault that he got hurt)

He drafted a MLB in Preston Brown that had over 100 tackles (I have no idea if he fits this system)

Does he get credit for Nigel Bradham....I am not sure

but....the draft is only one part of a GM's job....he came up with TWO scrap heap linebacker's last year that made the pro bowl

he drafted runner up defensive player of the yeare rookie legend kiko and then traded him.

preston brown... lets talk about his career at the end of the year. we'll actually be yelling at his career. guys not gonna cut it. tackles don't mean anything.

nigel bradham was the best linebacker we've drafted in a while. better than kiko, but not by much. poz would blow either of them up.

Sign me up :thumbsup:

Problem is, keep switching what defense you run and you keep drafting players to fit that said system...

For once, maybe, just maybe we can draft players and see them flourish instead of trading them or watchin them walk because we have changed defenses yet again.

Problem is, keep switching what defense you run and you keep drafting players to fit that said system...

For once, maybe, just maybe we can draft players and see them flourish instead of trading them or watchin them walk because we have changed defenses yet again.

For the most part, a player who is good enough can flourish in any system. Kyle has played in a bunch of systems and has always performed admirably; Hughes racked up 10 sacks in Pettine's scheme and Schwartz's scheme; Dareus may not have been utilized properly in Rex's scheme, but his 2015 season really wasn't bad (of course we're hoping the 2016 issues were a fluke); and we can go on, including offense of course. Certainly some players who aren't all-world excel in certain schemes more than others, but I really don't think we have been using the draft to pick players based purely on our scheme.

In fact, all scheme-specific players or utility players we bring in are signed for very reasonable #'s (Jim Leonhard, Brandon Spikes, Zach Brown as examples). I believe we drafted Lawson, Ragland and Washington because we thought highly of them as players and not pieces in a specific defense. Heck, I think Shaq Lawson might even be better in a 4-3 than Rex's 3-4. Meanwhile I also think that they believe Lorax is a valuable player who can play a variety of roles on the defense. They didn't feel that way about Zach Brown, so they let him go and will figure something else out.

Edited by Big C

For the most part, a player who is good enough can flourish in any system. Kyle has played in a bunch of systems and has always performed admirably; Hughes racked up 10 sacks in Pettine's scheme and Schwartz's scheme; Dareus may not have been utilized properly in Rex's scheme, but his 2015 season really wasn't bad (of course we're hoping the 2016 issues were a fluke); and we can go on, including offense of course. Certainly some players who aren't all-world excel in certain schemes more than others, but I really don't think we have been using the draft to pick players based purely on our scheme.

In fact, all scheme-specific players or utility players we bring in are signed for very reasonable #'s (Jim Leonhard, Brandon Spikes, Zach Brown as examples). I believe we drafted Lawson, Ragland and Washington because we thought highly of them as players and not pieces in a specific defense. Heck, I think Shaq Lawson might even be better in a 4-3 than Rex's 3-4. Meanwhile I also think that they believe Lorax is a valuable player who can play a variety of roles on the defense. They didn't feel that way about Zach Brown, so they let him go and will figure something else out.

I thought Shaq was an absolutely awful fit as a 3-4 OLB when we drafted him. Was hoping he could bulk up and play 3-4 DE instead. Love him as a run stuffing 4-3 end that has ability get to the qb.

I seriously think reddick could be our pick...

He reminds me so much of von miller and even LT because of his closing speed, power and explosive pass rush ability... Hes everything you want as a de/olb in todays nfl imho and could be a truly great player.

LT was 6-2 237 i believe

I was actually shocked and amazed to see Arthur Moats making plays for the Steelers last year. Just another ex-Bill who found a home on a playoff team. It may just be my Bills-centric perspective but somehow it seems that these players who weren't cutting it in Orchard Park are quite capable of fitting in on perennial playoff contenders. And now....we need linebackers...again!!

he drafted runner up defensive player of the yeare rookie legend kiko and then traded him.

So....was he NOT the runner up defensive player of the year? Does that go away because he was traded or got hurt or whatever? Why are you trying to make an arguement against facts?

preston brown... lets talk about his career at the end of the year. we'll actually be yelling at his career. guys not gonna cut it. tackles don't mean anything.

I agree that this conversation needs to happen at the end of this year......he had a solid rookie season....then fell off as we changed defensive schemes.....will going back to a 4/3 revive his career? Maybe? were gonna see?

nigel bradham was the best linebacker we've drafted in a while. better than kiko, but not by much. poz would blow either of them up.

Nigel was good depending on the scheme we ran....I always liked Nigel when he wasnt thinking too much and just hitting everything in a different color jersey.

Wasnt the point here whether Whaley can find linebackers? It does appear that he can.

Preston Brown will probably replace Zo at SAM eventually, I think PB would make a real good SLB in this system

Im of the belief that our Lb'ers will be moved around alot.Brown had his best year playing Wlb,but can play all three. Rags can man the mike/sam,so lets get a true Will in here and confuse the crap outta teams as to formations and whatnot