Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

If the Bills were interested in keeping Gillislee, it was extremely dumb not to place the 2nd round tender on him. Matching the offer now would shine a spotlight on the latest of Whaley's bad decisions.

Or....next year we need our number 2 running back for a few games...and Mike G. promply comes through with over 8 yards a carry making Whaley look pretty smart not to quibble over about 900K

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, they were in the process of signing him to an extension. We don't know what that looked like. If they match it is possible they were offering something similar (though not as front-loaded). I don't think they will match but if they do, they already valued him there. The 2nd rd tender is 1 year fully gtd at 3.8, not a good deal at all especially if you are trying to negotiate long term. BTW this is Jim Overdorf, mainly, on the cap and contract stuff. McD and Whaley on whether they are willing to roll the dice on losing him but getting a pick.

The 2nd round tender is $2.7mm. If they decide to pay him $4mm this year instead, it would mean that Whaley gambled & lost. If the goal was to get a 5th round pick instead, then it was a job well done.

I think the $2m cap hit ultimately could be figured out - it's annoying, it could have been handled better, but it's not the end of the world. I think the bigger question is whether you'd rather have Gillislee or a 5th (and really 6th based on pat's pick) rounder. In my view, the pick is too low to make that deal. The odds of a 6th rounder making the roster...let alone sticking around...is only a little better than a coin flip. Chart below. On the other hand, we already know Gillislee is a solid contributor in this system. Why make another hole to fill in exchange for that much uncertainty?

So I'm wondering - is it possible to simply sign Gillislee and tell the Pats "We're open to trade, we just need a 4th." Then they're either interested and we get better compensation, or they're not and we've got a solid backup as planned and it happens to cost us a few extra dollars. Not that big a deal.

draftedplayerretention_zps47dbdff8_mediu

This is a no-brainer. We have to match. If we are in cap purgatory - we can always re-work Glenn or Dareus. The drop off from Gillislee to Williams (just based on last year) is steep. With a run heavy strategy, we cannot go into the season with just Shady on the roster given he is getting older and his hamstring will always be an issue. As the previous poster said - 5th / 6th round pick plus 2 million cap relief aint good enough to cover the drop off from Gillislee to WIlliams.

If the Bills were interested in keeping Gillislee, it was extremely dumb not to place the 2nd round tender on him. Matching the offer now would shine a spotlight on the latest of Whaley's bad decisions.

OBD has made a series of bad decisions over the years but this particular case isn't really one of them.

2017 was looking like a very soft market for running backs. So OBD rolled the dice and lost. Getting a draft pick for a backup isn't the end of the world.

The 2nd round tender is $2.7mm. If they decide to pay him $4mm this year instead, it would mean that Whaley gambled & lost. If the goal was to get a 5th round pick instead, then it was a job well done.

You are discounting the fact they were working on an extension. It's doubtful that would have been a one year deal. So let's just say it was something like a two year deal for 6.2 m , not far fetched. A higher tender would insure that MG would get no offers, therefore he'd likely be valuing himself much higher than the actual market would dictate. This could make negotiations more drawn out, and it's in the team's interest to get more than a one year deal done as well for many reasons. So even if the Pats offer is slighter higher than what the Bills may have been offering, it's likely not by much. The fifth round pick was ( or is) compensation the Bills felt they would take if the market far surpassed what they would pay. So what? The team did not draft MG. If they match , you are quibbling over probably a couple 100k; chump change in the NFL. If they don't , they get what they felt was good compensation for the player. Defining that as some huge gamble and loss is ridiculous .

Fact - Mike Gillislee's career 5.62 average yards per attempt leads ALL NFL running backs in past 50 years with at least 100 rushing attempts. Not paying this guy will result in a major, MAJOR mistake!!!!!

No thanks... I love misleading stats.

Bills strength is the running game.MG was a part of that. NE has many strengths, so no. MG is better than that fifth round pick.

I would take the 5th over a backup average RB. I want potential, this team doesn't make the playoffs with a backup.

We do not make the playoffs WITHOUT a good backup. He is a VERY good backup. Shady WILL miss some time, so unless we have a better option than J Williams, I'd pay the man. (Williams looked surprisingly slow to me. I expected too much maybe.)

Edited by Augie

We do not make the playoffs WITHOUT a good backup. He is a VERY good backup. Shady WILL miss some time, so unless we have a better option than J Williams, I'd pay the man. (Williams looked surprisingly slow to me. I expected too much maybe.)

They did fine with MG and Karlos as backups yet they need a good one for some reason...

The offensive line makes these average guys look good. Like I say many times look at MG highlight tape and watch how big the holes are