Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

They have no plan and this is just the most recent example of it. That's why this thread has so much back and forth. Follow.

Mike Tolbert's contract is the difference between Gilly's 5th and 2nd round tender. Tolbert is by all accounts..."toast" he is this years Reggie Bush. Let's take a look at that numbers and then I will finish.

3.3, 4.1, 2.1, 3.6, 3.4. Those are Tolbert's YPC for the past 5 seasons. He has only found the end zone once in the past 3 seasons and six times in those same 5 seasons listed above.

That should remove any doubt about Tolbert being the change of pace guy behind Shady and being the much needed redzone guy. MG excelled in his role doing just that.

PLAN : don't offer a washed up Tolbert the million bucks, slightly over value your own asset MG and use the 2nd round tender to ward off any potential suitors. The money is a wash. Pick up a UDFA, don't waste another pick...and spend minimal money on a back.

FWIW I don't even think Tolbert makes the team if they retain MG.

I agree with much of what you are saying.

As far as not having a plan - From most accounts, it seems like Tolbert was brought in to be one of "McDermott's guys". He's been with SM in Carolina for years, and McDermott loves his personality and work ethic.

He's one of those guys a new coach brings in too help establish the new culture he's trying to bring with him. It's very common.

A single, $1M signing should not prevent most teams from tendering a guy at a certain level. But our cap has been so mismanaged that it probably does here, which seems pretty ridiculous when you think about it, especially for a 7-9 team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in forever.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the process. No pun intended. I think it would be pretty difficult to make mistakes of the same type repeatedly without learning something even if you actually weren't trying to learn something. Im not saying Whaley is, will, or will be forced to match the offer but at least someone at OBD is actually thinking anout the pros and cons before doing it. Something that clearly was missing from the Hogan and wr depth on this team last year.

agreed - I think last year with Hogan they knew right away they didn't have the cap space so just made the call as soon as the offer came in. With this one they do have the cap space but there is also a draft pick involved, so a lot more to consider. I also don't remember them trying to work out an extension with Hogan before he got that offer, whereas in this case they were.

@mikereiss

Unlike with Chris Hogan last year, Patriots forced to wait on Bills' decision with restricted FA Mike Gillislee.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4802730/unlike-with-chris-hogan-patriots-forced-to-wait-on-mike-gillislee-call?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

One can only hope Whaley maybe forced into learning abit.

He didn't need to learn anything. They were never going to match Hogan's deal. That they're taking their time suggests they are leaning towards matching MG's deal and want to wait until the last second to let the Cheaters twist in the wind.

I guarantee this: if it were the Pats losing Gillislee, the media would be fellating Belichick for getting a pick.

Bills strength is the running game.MG was a part of that. NE has many strengths, so no. MG is better than that fifth round pick.

No, Monday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4802730/unlike-with-chris-hogan-patriots-forced-to-wait-on-mike-gillislee-call

Steve, the Buffalo Bills have until Monday to make the decision on whether to match the Patriots' offer to running back Mike Gillislee, and it looks as though they might take this right up to the deadline. I think it's timely to point out the Bills didn't do that last year when New England signed restricted free-agent receiver Chris Hogan to an offer sheet. In that situation, the club was decisive in reporting to the NFL almost immediately that it wouldn't match Hogan's offer sheet.

Bills strength is the running game.MG was a part of that. NE has many strengths, so no. MG is better than that fifth round pick.

So gillislee is better than a player that hasn't even been drafted yet......makes sense.

I guarantee this: if it were the Pats losing Gillislee, the media would be fellating Belichick for getting a pick.

Pats Pulplit covered this in depth, I was wondering how the locals would perceive this move. I don't think many of us realize how well Gilly stacked up in all those advance metric stats. I will try and find the article when I get home.

Pats Pulplit covered this in depth, I was wondering how the locals would perceive this move. I don't think many of us realize how well Gilly stacked up in all those advance metric stats. I will try and find the article when I get home.

You mean when he was running through wide open holes?

It would be a dumb thing to not take the pick.

If the Bills were interested in keeping Gillislee, it was extremely dumb not to place the 2nd round tender on him. Matching the offer now would shine a spotlight on the latest of Whaley's bad decisions.

If the Bills were interested in keeping Gillislee, it was extremely dumb not to place the 2nd round tender on him. Matching the offer now would shine a spotlight on the latest of Whaley's bad decisions.

Whaley did not make decision. This shines a spotlight on the latest of your bad posts.

again, they were in the process of signing him to an extension. We don't know what that looked like. If they match it is possible they were offering something similar (though not as front-loaded). I don't think they will match but if they do, they already valued him there. The 2nd rd tender is 1 year fully gtd at 3.8, not a good deal at all especially if you are trying to negotiate long term. BTW this is Jim Overdorf, mainly, on the cap and contract stuff. McD and Whaley on whether they are willing to roll the dice on losing him but getting a pick. Edited by YoloinOhio

He didn't need to learn anything. They were never going to match Hogan's deal. That they're taking their time suggests they are leaning towards matching MG's deal and want to wait until the last second to let the Cheaters twist in the wind.

Now we're leaning towards matching but shouldn't have considered the second round tender? That must frustrate you.

I don't think we can read anything into the time passing at all. They just are making the pats wait- no indication of either direction

again, they were in the process of signing him to an extension. We don't know what that looked like. If they match it is possible they were offering something similar (though not as front-loaded). I don't think they will match but if they do, they already valued him there. The 2nd rd tender is 1 year fully gtd at 3.8, not a good deal at all especially if you are trying to negotiate long term. BTW this is Jim Overdorf, mainly, on the cap and contract stuff. McD and Whaley on whether they are willing to roll the dice on losing him but getting a pick.

Isn't the second round tender 2.7m, not 3.8?