Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

dont have to perpetuate that myth. They prove it on there own.

There is no way a .500 team should have the cap situation the Bills have.

Man, do I hope you get banned here like the other board.

It's really sad. When this thing finally turns and the bills are on top, the last place you'll find me is on a pats board beating my chest.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont have to perpetuate that myth. They prove it on there own.

There is no way a .500 team should have the cap situation the Bills have.

What situation? The one where they're going to be $50M under the cap next year?

The cap hasn't exactly been prohibitive to them; it's been poor allocation as opposed to reckless spending...an astute fan would recognize as much.

And no, the Patriots don't do everything perfectly. In fact, their 2014 and 2015 drafts have produced a combined zero starters (unless Flowers starts this year).

PS--if you're going to post here, at least try to provide some measure of worthwhile contribution.

Edited by thebandit27

Man, do I hope you get banned here like the other board.

It's really sad. When this thing finally turns and the bills are on top, the last place you'll find me is on a pats board beating my chest.

they dont seem so anal here.

Besides. I didnt say anything negative about the Bills.

they dont seem so anal here.

Besides. I didnt say anything negative about the Bills.

Yeah - you did.

It's what you do. It's not enough that you're a fan whose team has been blessed with an historic run. You have to come here to make sure hope is kept to a minimum.

The cap hasn't exactly been prohibitive to them; it's been poor allocation as opposed to reckless spending...an astute fan would recognize as much.

And no, the Patriots don't do everything perfectly. In fact, their 2014 and 2015 drafts have produced a combined zero starters (unless Flowers starts this year).

PS--if you're going to post here, at least try to provide some measure of worthwhile contribution.

Flowers, Brown and Mason all started last year. 14 wasnt so great but they did get White and Garrapollo out of it.

Yeah - you did.

It's what you do. It's not enough that you're a fan whose team has been blessed with an historic run. You have to come here to make sure hope is kept to a minimum.

the post you jumped on me for had nothing to do with the Bills. I stated that Hogan was definitely worth the 4 million they paid him.

I havent even got into a conversation about how the Bills would do this year. I hope they do well.

Edited by Chris66

What is with the blockheads and "next year doesn't matter anyway".........McCoy, Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Incognito, Clay.......if that is the argument then why keep any of these guys? :doh: .......most, if not ALL of them don't have futures in Buffalo beyond this season.

If you are worried about the cap room than winning next year.........why not cut em' all and start saving money on future cap figures?

Me.....I look at the schedule and I see 3 months of games before the Bills play the Pats ONCE.........no early or mid-season demoralizing losses to the end of the year.......lot's of time to make noise and get positioned for 9-10 wins if they just put their best on the field against teams they can compete with.

The NFL is a MATCHUP league.......the Bills only matchup advantage is on the ground........even risking that getting worse for $1M in cap room is just Billsy dumb. It's the same line of thinking that Jauron/Levy used to take this organization to complete irrelevance.

So because the Bills don't play the Pats til December, we now have a better chance to make a better run at the playoffs.....because there won't be any demoralizing losses. Interesting take.

Last I knew, you're not an NFL exec and it doesn't really matter what you think. Sure, Whaley could be wrong if he lets Gillislee go. He could also nail the 5th rd pick and add a player that will help this team long term while paying him pennies comparatively. We don't know how any of this will play out long term. Acting as if you do is just posturing.

Personally, I love Gillislee and would like to keep him, especially now that it would be for 2 years (it would've been 1 if he didn't get 5th rd tender). If the FO decides that they don't want to allocate that much money to the RB position, who can argue that? I mean, RBs are a dime a dozen right?

There will be more cuts around the league after the draft and there is still talent available out there. If their intention is to sign a couple more players (a la zach brown last year) in positions of need and matching gillislee would prevent that, how can you argue that? No one here knows if the FO has a plan or what that plan is. How about just wait and see what happens instead of blowing a gasket about another team signing our #2 rb (that whaley signed as a free agent).

How will you feel if we match the offer? Just wondering

What you say about the Pats 2014 draft is very deceiving. Garrapolo is hands down a good pick and would be starting for a lot of teams. James White arguably should have been Super bowl MVP. And Bryan Stork started in the 2015 Super Bowl. They got results from that draft, and in any event the jury is still out because of Garrapolo.

From the 2015 draft, Shaq Mason is a starting guard, and he has played very well: http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/1/25/14365016/pff-patriots-rg-shaq-mason-and-rt-marcus-cannon-rank-1-at-position-since-bye-week . Malcolm Brown had a good season this year too. He started 12 games in 2015 and 13 games in 2016.

So basically, you're wrong (uncharacteristically so, I'll add!).

Edited by dave mcbride

Flowers, Brown and Mason all started last year. 14 wasnt so great but they did get White and Garrapollo out of it.

Shoot I don't know how I missed that...though I did remember correctly that Flowers only started 8 games

What you say about the Pats 2014 draft is very deceiving. Garrapolo is hands down a good pick and would be starting for a lot of teams. James White arguably should have been Super bowl MVP. And Bryan Stork started in the 2015 Super Bowl. They got results from that draft, and in any event the jury is still out because of Garrapolo.

From the 2015 draft, Shaq Mason is a starting guard, and he has played very well: http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/1/25/14365016/pff-patriots-rg-shaq-mason-and-rt-marcus-cannon-rank-1-at-position-since-bye-week . Malcolm Brown had a good season this year too. He started 12 games in 2015 and 13 games in 2016.

So basically, you're wrong (uncharacteristically so, I'll add!).

Thanks for keeping me honest.

My point was more along the lines of that they aren't exactly a brilliant organization with regard to personnel. They merely do enough to give Brady and Belichick a chance each and every year.

Shoot I don't know how I missed that...though I did remember correctly that Flowers only started 8 games

Thanks for keeping me honest.

My point was more along the lines of that they aren't exactly a brilliant organization with regard to personnel. They merely do enough to give Brady and Belichick a chance each and every year.

I disagree. I think they're an organization that is loaded with good players, and as a result don't expect on an annual basis for more than 2-4 picks to break through and contribute. They're kinda like the Yankees circa 1998-2012 that way.

Shoot I don't know how I missed that...though I did remember correctly that Flowers only started 8 games.

it gets confusing. Pats are a game to game team. So not everyone starts every week, but they all contribute pretty evenly when you look at each persons snap count.

I am just curious over this whole "bad cap situation"

How bad is it?

Did it cause us not to sign somebody we were going to sign?

Do people realize its just for this year?

Our main guys are all under contract......

Big salaries vs performance. I would argue at this point. That McCoy, Clay, Hughes and Darius arent living up to their contracts. Not to say they arent good. Just that they are all over paid

I disagree. I think they're an organization that is loaded with good players, and as a result don't expect on an annual basis for more than 2-4 picks to break through and contribute. They're kinda like the Yankees circa 1998-2012 that way.

They're not loaded - just exceedingly well coached.

Outside of a few top guys, that roster wouldn't be nearly as dominant under a different coaching staff. I'd love to see the alternate universe where Rex and rob coach that team, sans Brady.

It's a point worth exploring...I do think, however, that despite the difficulty in making their roster, if they were above-average in the personnel department, then we'd see more of their cast-offs making an impact elsewhere.

it gets confusing. Pats are a game to game team. So not everyone starts every week, but they all contribute pretty evenly when you look at each persons snap count.

To some extent, but their snap count distribution isn't really any different than other teams when you drill into the numbers.

It's a point worth exploring...I do think, however, that despite the difficulty in making their roster, if they were above-average in the personnel department, then we'd see more of their cast-offs making an impact elsewhere.

To some extent, but their snap count distribution isn't really any different than other teams when you drill into the numbers.

Dimitroff is doing well in Atlanta. Lets see how Bob Quinn does in Detroit.

So he was worth 1.7m but wouldnt have provided 2.5m value last season?

the second round tender wouldve put him, roughly, 60-70th paid when comparing averages and come with no commitment.

thats essentially Wr3 pay for a guy that wouldve been a more reliable WR3 than the 3-4 guys we ended up paying instead.

With foresight, no he wasn't worth a 2nd round tender give his 38 catch, 438 yard average the previous 2 seasons. And no team would have tendered him at the 2nd round level. In hindsight, Goodwin replaced his production.

yeah he was. Hebhad some big catches at key moments. Add 188 yds in the texans play off game. He definitely was worth it.

Yeah, no. He was just another receiver in the Cheaters' system. They overpaid him just to get him away from the Bills.

I agree that no one originally said he should have been tendered at the 2nd round level, just like no one said the same the about Hogan. But the market for backup RB went up considerably and MG is one of, if not, the top backup RB on the market and got an offer from the Cheaters at current market value.

I made a thread in early March predicting this exact situation and said the Bills should have placed a 2nd Round tender on him or he would be poached. I said the million bucks they gave to a 32 year old backup fullback in Mike Tolbert would have been much wisely spent locking down Gillislee who is an elite goal line and short yardage back and proven backup to a 29 year old RB with a ton of mileage and hamstring issues.

Many others on the boards and in the local media said the same thing well before the Pats signed him. To say nobody said it originally is total bunk and excuse making. Apparently the only people that didn't see it coming were Doug Whaley and his band of fluffers on here.

Edited by Billy Zabka

NE offense: Brady, Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, White, Mitchell, Allen, Amendola, Lewis, Burkhead + a solid Oline ( especially now that their Oline coach is back )

NE defense : Hightower, McCourthy, Gilmore, Ninkovicz, M. Brown, Butler ( if he stays ) Ealy...A. Branch has been solid for them also....

Very good special team...and the best coach in the business......I would qualify that team as " Loaded "...especially on O....