Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

Answer me this . Why would the Patriots want Gillislee if he was not that good ? They could have drafted a rb . This draft is deep with them. They seem to pick up players every year that work well. They are winners and we are losers. I am betting on them to know and see something we do not.

There's a link in this thread that touches on how Belichick, at this point in his career, would rather have players who have been in the league for some time as oppose to some raw rookies who need a season or two to adjust to the NFL.....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is a great change of pace guy for us. He runs harder and is more of a one cut guy versus the McCoy running style. That being said I still stick by the opinion of he won't make it the whole year as NE's featured RB if that is how they plan to use him. He runs a bit upright and takes some big hits. I think he ends up on IR

Answer me this . Why would the Patriots want Gillislee if he was not that good ? They could have drafted a rb . This draft is deep with them. They seem to pick up players every year that work well. They are winners and we are losers. I am betting on them to know and see something we do not.

We really need to stop portraying every move they make as genius.

They win because the have the greatest coach an qb of all time. You could put those 2 with any roster and they would still be a contender. They could have drafted Maybin and still made the afccg.

We really need to stop portraying every move they make as genius.

They win because the have the greatest coach an qb of all time. You could put those 2 with any roster and they would still be a contender. They could have drafted Maybin and still made the afccg.

They also identify talent better and manage their salary cap better than most other teams if not all other teams. God I hate the Patriots.

The key to winning long term is identifying talent better and it also helps if you can manage it well with $$$ once you have the talent there.

They are going to be a good team, not necessarily a contender every year but good, even when Brady retires unless the guys behind the scenes retire too.

Edited by PolishDave

In some write-up (not sure where I read it) they said that Belichek changed his thinking on the draft and players in general. With the immaturity of players and the years it takes to develop into real NFL players, BB feels it makes sense to put players on the roster that already get it and are proven.

wondering if the Bills are calling around to other free agents to see what options/prices exist. If there's a decent fall back, he's gone. If not, eat the salary bump for a year and match. I mean, we could sign guys like Reggie Bush, Karlos Williams or Dri Archer!?

Edited by Jamie Nails

I was taking issue with the idea that he's not a top-5 backup.

He had fewer carries than 8 other backups, yet had more yards than all but 1.

He's definitely a top-5 backup by the numbers, so forgive me if I'm a bit confused as to your position (and I don't mean that in a snarky way).

It's a good point. I'm basing my pov more on how I view backup rb's in general. It's easier to rank backup wr's. There is more skill in that position.

With rb's, there is a top level. And those guys are pretty clear. McCoy is one of those.

After that, there just isn't as much differentiation. How many times have we seen a backup come in and run wild for a few games? Most are fast, most are strong. Again - putting a 2nd round tender on a 6 carry guy is kind of silly, and something no one here was calling for until the specter of the mighty pats showed up.

Because he wasn't worth it.

So he was worth 1.7m but wouldnt have provided 2.5m value last season?

the second round tender wouldve put him, roughly, 60-70th paid when comparing averages and come with no commitment.

thats essentially Wr3 pay for a guy that wouldve been a more reliable WR3 than the 3-4 guys we ended up paying instead.

wondering if the Bills are calling around to other free agents to see what options/prices exist. If there's a decent fall back, he's gone. If not, eat the salary bump for a year and match. I mean, we could sign guys like Reggie Bush, Karlos Williams or Dri Archer!?

McD didn't sign any of those guys. And he runs the show now on who he wants on the team, it appears to me.

It's a good point. I'm basing my pov more on how I view backup rb's in general. It's easier to rank backup wr's. There is more skill in that position.

With rb's, there is a top level. And those guys are pretty clear. McCoy is one of those.

After that, there just isn't as much differentiation. How many times have we seen a backup come in and run wild for a few games? Most are fast, most are strong. Again - putting a 2nd round tender on a 6 carry guy is kind of silly, and something no one here was calling for until the specter of the mighty pats showed up.

if you go back a bit some said it early in the offseason, and i saw him lumped in when people worried about losing groy.

if you look at these 2 plus Hogan as "first off the bench and expected to play even if all goes well" i think a lot of us are willing to risk a few hundred thousand in cap space to not have to worry about filling the hole after the bulk of free agency.

if you go back a bit some said it early in the offseason, and i saw him lumped in when people worried about losing groy.

if you look at these 2 plus Hogan as "first off the bench and expected to play even if all goes well" i think a lot of us are willing to risk a few hundred thousand in cap space to not have to worry about filling the hole after the bulk of free agency.

What if the Bills new offensive scheme has them running the ball half as much as they did this past year?

How many touches would Mike actually get?

Could be a factor in their decision too.

I get it, and I don't think that's necessarily wrong. But I also don't think the Bills were necessarily wrong not to use the 2nd round tender also. He's just not that vital.

And let's face it - if they used the 2nd and there was no interest at all, some here would have criticized them for going too far.

In some write-up (not sure where I read it) they said that Belichek changed his thinking on the draft and players in general. With the immaturity of players and the years it takes to develop into real NFL players, BB feels it makes sense to put players on the roster that already get it and are proven.

yep, he said he's reached the point in his career where he has nothing left to prove and he just wants to coach guys he "likes." Belichik appears to me to have a fear of the unknown and not too interested in fresh rooks he hasn't watched play in the NFL or "knows" really well (you can take that to mean also he wants to know and trust their college coaches who will give him the truth on the kids).

The Pats live a world no other team does. They will not be questioned (they earned it) on personnel moves. They can get rid of their best players and still win the SB as long as they have the best QB of all time behind center. But I will still look at moves like trading a 5th for Kiki Mingo and say that no, not every team should have done that. So no, not every team should pay TD Mike and give up a pick just because the Pats think it is wise. I think he will do well in Blount's role and they will continue to be great. The Bills have bigger issues to solve with the draft pick and cap space than backup RB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just do not know why they would spend the money and pick if they don`t have to. All I hear on here is Rbs are a dime a dozen. Well I have seen some bad rbs here.The Bills are gambling again. In my opinion. Maybe I`m wrong ,time will tell.

when you are over paying your starting rb 4million more than he is worth it kind of cuts into your depth

I get it, and I don't think that's necessarily wrong. But I also don't think the Bills were necessarily wrong not to use the 2nd round tender also. He's just not that vital.

And let's face it - if they used the 2nd and there was no interest at all, some here would have criticized them for going too far.

To the first half-- I'm not huge on MG. Just like I wasn't on Hogan. But I don't love counting on a late street free agent or day 3 pick to be a contributor. They certainly can but the more of those guys you lean on the more magic you are trying to catch. If you like these guys enough to tender them for an expectation of productivity - just lock them in

To the last half- who cares.

What if the Bills new offensive scheme has them running the ball half as much as they did this past year?

How many touches would Mike actually get?

Could be a factor in their decision too.

Very well could.

Still nice to have an important spot locked up instead of debating what to do with that this late. Even with reduced touches he would still be next man up for injuries

yeah he was. Hebhad some big catches at key moments. Add 188 yds in the texans play off game. He definitely was worth it.

Seriously - no one here really needs a pats fan chiming in and perpetuating the myth that the bills just make mistakes while the pats do everything perfectly.

The Hogan situation wasn't a win/lose. He did more with Brady than he ever would have done here.

Seriously - no one here really needs a pats fan chiming in and perpetuating the myth that the bills just make mistakes while the pats do everything perfectly.

The Hogan situation wasn't a win/lose. He did more with Brady than he ever would have done here.

dont have to perpetuate that myth. They prove it on there own.

There is no way a .500 team should have the cap situation the Bills have.