Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

Serious question - MG has only had one good season, correct? And he's going to be 27? I don't recall what he did in 2015 exactly but he was signed off the street in November and was on the PS until December when Karlos was hurt... I just remember in the Jets game he wasn't good.

His numbers last year were impressive (ypc and efficiency) but possibly may not be replicated, could be an outlier. Just saying.

I do like him though. Just worry that if they choose to match it will be based on emotion regarding the Pats vs using their heads.

I just don't think the Bills every thought nor still think MG is really above average.

Consider this -

In last year's Miami game in Miami - when Shady was out - why didn't Anthony Lynn (who I respect highly as a running game coach) lean on MG to carry the workload for that game and pound the rock against Miami?

Maybe there were other reasons. I just think that if Anthony Lynn trusted MG - then they would have been pounding Miami with Mike G as some of us thought they were going to do going into the game. My sense tells me that the Bills just don't think as highly of him as some Bills fans do. He is replaceable - probably rather easily replaceable.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MG wasn't worth a top 5 backup rb salary.

He's another decent player who many fans overrate - similar to Hogan. And I'm sure we'll see many threads whenever MG has a good game. But this is the business of football, and there is no way that they should have put a 2nd round tender on a 6 carry back.

He's another decent player who many fans overrate - similar to Hogan. And I'm sure we'll see many threads whenever MG has a good game. But this is the business of football, and there is no way that they should have put a 2nd round tender on a 6 carry back.

the fact they didn't do that initially gives me hope

The thing is, we could have had both guys an extra year without much more money committed had we just tendered a 2nd round level.

And we would've had a better 53 both years for it (even if we match MG, it's cap space we can't use now)

Not the end of the world but each will be a minor blow for a borderline team.

Edited by NoSaint

If he wasn't, who was/is?

If he wasn't, who was/is?

Someone who is a top 5 backup?

We have had a lot if great backups here over the years. If there is one position that hasn't been a problem area, it's rb.

The only reason this is a big issue is because it's the pats. I'd love one of the naysayers on this thread to show me a post when they first tendered MG saying that it should have been a 2nd rounder instead.

Edited by Success

We have had a lot if great backups here over the years. If there is one position that hasn't been a problem area, it's rb.

The only reason this is a big issue is because it's the pats. I'd love one of the naysayers on this thread to show me a post when they first tendered MG saying that it should have been a 2nd rounder instead.

Gilly finished 29th in the NFL in rushing. Here is a list of RBs that had more rushing yards than Gilly despite not leading their team in carries:

Bilal Powell

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Now, here's a list of RBs that had more carries than Gilly despite not being their team's leader in carries:

Derrick Henry

CJ Anderson

Paul Perkins

Chris Ivory

Tevin Coleman

Matt Asiata

Jacquizz Rodgers

Tim Hightower

Bilal Powell

So...who's the top 5 if not Gilly?

I agree that no one originally said he should have been tendered at the 2nd round level, just like no one said the same the about Hogan. But the market for backup RB went up considerably and MG is one of, if not, the top backup RB on the market and got an offer from the Cheaters at current market value.

I agree that no one originally said he should have been tendered at the 2nd round level, just like no one said the same the about Hogan. But the market for backup RB went up considerably and MG is one of, if not, the top backup RB on the market and got an offer from the Cheaters at current market value.

Even as a hogan "detractor" I (among others) questioned why not use an extra 700k given our complete lack of depth at WR

I wasn't around as much this offseason though

Edited by NoSaint

Gilly finished 29th in the NFL in rushing. Here is a list of RBs that had more rushing yards than Gilly despite not leading their team in carries:

Bilal Powell

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Now, here's a list of RBs that had more carries than Gilly despite not being their team's leader in carries:

Derrick Henry

CJ Anderson

Paul Perkins

Chris Ivory

Tevin Coleman

Matt Asiata

Jacquizz Rodgers

Tim Hightower

Bilal Powell

So...who's the top 5 if not Gilly?

Gully also had to start in games last season.

I think the more appropriate question relates to how much better he would be than whoever ends up as our #2. I don't think rb's are necessarily a dime a dozen. But I think rb's at his level probably are.

All in all, this is way too much hand-wringing over a fairly average back.

Even as a hogan "detractor" I (among others) questioned why not use an extra 700k given our complete lack of depth at WR

I wasn't around as much this offseason though

Because he wasn't worth it.

Gully also had to start in games last season.

I think the more appropriate question relates to how much better he would be than whoever ends up as our #2. I don't think rb's are necessarily a dime a dozen. But I think rb's at his level probably are.

All in all, this is way too much hand-wringing over a fairly average back.

I was taking issue with the idea that he's not a top-5 backup.

He had fewer carries than 8 other backups, yet had more yards than all but 1.

He's definitely a top-5 backup by the numbers, so forgive me if I'm a bit confused as to your position (and I don't mean that in a snarky way).

I was taking issue with the idea that he's not a top-5 backup.

He had fewer carries than 8 other backups, yet had more yards than all but 1.

He's definitely a top-5 backup by the numbers, so forgive me if I'm a bit confused as to your position (and I don't mean that in a snarky way).

This.

And which backup had more yards? I'd assume if MG had as many carries as that back, he'd have had more yards. And that was a big criticism I had of Lynn. Bush should never have run the ball.

Yep.....The Lions would have done the offer, the thread does not go pass 5 pages.....Many Bills fans were cringing watching Hogan making those plays in the playoffs and are probably expecting the same this year with MG......

Answer me this . Why would the Patriots want Gillislee if he was not that good ? They could have drafted a rb . This draft is deep with them. They seem to pick up players every year that work well. They are winners and we are losers. I am betting on them to know and see something we do not.

Answer me this . Why would the Patriots want Gillislee if he was not that good ? They could have drafted a rb . This draft is deep with them. They seem to pick up players every year that work well. They are winners and we are losers. I am betting on them to know and see something we do not.

apparently the Bills do see it or they wouldn't have even tendered him or looked to extend him. In fact they saw it when no one else did. It's not about whether they think he's good. They think he's good, and that's obvious. It's about the value of the player toward their team going forward vs. the cap space and draft pick, the amount of money allotted across the position as a whole, and their confidence level in the plan to replace him. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think that the Pats window is small so they are going all in (and rightfully so). Brady has a few years left and they would rather bet on guys that have already produced in the NFL. They have already traded their 1st for Cooks and I think their 2nd as well.

To be really honest though they haven't drafted very well. We have this misconception that everything that they do is right. The reality is Brady has covered a lot of their mistakes. As a small example, they drafted a receiver named Taylor Price instead of Antonio Brown. Here is their draft history: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm (I am not impressed)

TD Mike has a fantastic burst and top end speed. I can't speak to the capabilities of the Patriot* run blocking schemes, but we all know if he isn't interrupted just after taking the handoff, he'll likely be in the endzone at the end of the play. That's always worth starting pay and usually worth starting tailback -unless you're behind a likely HoFer..

Hate to lose him, but we need the pick and Shady showed no signs of slowing down last year.

apparently the Bills do see it or they wouldn't have even tendered him or looked to extend him. In fact they saw it when no one else did. It's not about whether they think he's good. They think he's good, and that's obvious. It's about the value of the player toward their team going forward vs. the cap space and draft pick, the amount of money allotted across the position as a whole, and their confidence level in the plan to replace him.

I just do not know why they would spend the money and pick if they don`t have to. All I hear on here is Rbs are a dime a dozen. Well I have seen some bad rbs here.The Bills are gambling again. In my opinion. Maybe I`m wrong ,time will tell.

I just do not know why they would spend the money and pick if they don`t have to. All I hear on here is Rbs are a dime a dozen. Well I have seen some bad rbs here.The Bills are gambling again. In my opinion. Maybe I`m wrong ,time will tell.

i think it is a good "trade" for both teams. Who are very different in terms of their roster and plan. I believe the Bills should value the draft pick and cap space because they have two brand new schemes on either side of the ball. They are in roster transition (again) like it or not. Hopefully this is the last time for awhile. The Pats are not and haven't been for a very long time. It doesn't need to be bad for one side to be good for the other.

The Pats have gobs of cap space and little interest in developing rookies. They don't even pick in this draft until the 3rd round.

Edited by YoloinOhio