Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Getting used to the folks here still. As for Gillislee, if they wind up matching a lot of folks will look pretty silly.

I think most of the criticism is how the Bills handled the situation to begin with.

They could have made him untouchable for a higher tender, which only amounted to about $900,000 more in salary.

Now they will need to pay him an additional $2.2 million to match the offer sheet, or let him walk to our biggest division rival.

It's really a lose-lose situation now. Letting Gillislee walk for only a 5th Round Pick makes us look dumb, because it leaves us with no RB depth on the "run-heaviest" team in the NFL. Matching the offer makes us look dumb, because it costs us an extra $1.5 million in cap space just because our front office gave him a lower tender.

The only way the Bills walk out of this situation looking smart, is if they replace Gillislee's production with a cheaper RB or if they draft a stud with the 5th Rounder they get from New England.

I think most of the criticism is how the Bills handled the situation to begin with.

They could have made him untouchable for a higher tender, which only amounted to about $900,000 more in salary.

Now they will need to pay him an additional $2.2 million to match the offer sheet, or let him walk to our biggest division rival.

It's really a lose-lose situation now. Letting Gillislee walk for only a 5th Round Pick makes us look dumb, because it leaves us with no RB depth on the "run-heaviest" team in the NFL. Matching the offer makes us look dumb, because it costs us an extra $1.5 million in cap space just because our front office gave him a lower tender.

The only way the Bills walk out of this situation looking smart, is if they replace Gillislee's production with a cheaper RB or if they draft a stud with the 5th Rounder they get from New England.

They do have depth with Williams and Tolbert. People keep saying that but it's not correct. And they don't necessarily have to draft a RB with the extra pick.

They do have depth with Williams and Tolbert. People keep saying that but it's not correct. And they don't necessarily have to draft a RB with the extra pick.

they are quite likely subject of losing williams for a few games this year if not 4 for his dwi last year.

I think the larger issue is that you'd ideally like to have another speed/breakaway back that can take carries in the event that Shady gets hurt so that you don't have to re-invent the offense.

Not that you can't find those guys in the draft; you can. I just think the idea that the team has allowed another hole to open that was entirely preventable is putting people out.

Very succinctly put. :thumbsup:

oldmanfan will fit in good with the fan blamers/shamers here though.........they are always looking for an angle to fluff the organization.

Pegula fires the people he hired.......praise Pegula.

Sometimes you just have to admit that the teams decisions are bad and that it's reasonable to expect scorn from it.

Sticks and stones.......nobody is being executed for making bad football decisions. That only happens in soccer.

Edited by #BADOL

It's only a lose if they let him walk because it will be hard to replace his production, much less with a late fifth round rookie. And they'll be losing him to a division rival. They can fit him under the cap.

They didn't see a hot RB market. They gambled and lost. It happens.

OBD has screwed up a lot of things over the years. But I don't think the mishandling of TD Mike ranks as a major mistake.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Some of their decisions as a team and organization have been bad. Rex for instance. Whaley is not immune to criticism. If Sammy doesn't heal up that pick will be a mistake. Taking Kouandijo is round 2 was a mistake. Keeping EJ around too long was a mistake.

Letting the market set a price for a backup RB, and then deciding whether to match or not, is generally how one does business in the NFL however. The other restricted FA this season, Groy, they did the same thing, matched, and now they have a guy as depth that played well last year. But no one mentions that because it was a good move.

they are quite likely subject of losing williams for a few games this year if not 4 for his dwi last year.

We'll see. Picking up another speedy RB is fairly easy, although I will say yet again I would like them to keep MG.

Some of their decisions as a team and organization have been bad. Rex for instance. Whaley is not immune to criticism. If Sammy doesn't heal up that pick will be a mistake. Taking Kouandijo is round 2 was a mistake. Keeping EJ around too long was a mistake.

Letting the market set a price for a backup RB, and then deciding whether to match or not, is generally how one does business in the NFL however. The other restricted FA this season, Groy, they did the same thing, matched, and now they have a guy as depth that played well last year. But no one mentions that because it was a good move.

We'll see. Picking up another speedy RB is fairly easy, although I will say yet again I would like them to keep MG.

In the grand scheme.......finding RB's is easy.......trying to get a guy in the 5th-6th round(Pats pick is more like a 6th).....KNOWING that you probably need 100-150 highly productive touches to not have your running game fall off that year........well that's a different story.

In the grand scheme.......finding RB's is easy.......trying to get a guy in the 5th-6th round(Pats pick is more like a 6th).....KNOWING that you probably need 100-150 highly productive touches to not have your running game fall off that year........well that's a different story.

Well, two seasons ago it was Karlos. He lost his mind, they brought in Gillislee (who had been cut twice)) and he did well. So while I want to se MG stay, I'm thinking it might be more the blocking and such rather than the specific guy, such that they can fill that spot fairly quickly (and J Williams may be that guy).

I'm actually happier they kept Groy, since you never know what's going to happen with Wood and we really needed depth there.

But the running game should fall of a little if we're going to not be one-trick ponies and expand the passing game. So that burden eases a little.

Then I take it as you have no facts and this is your random conjecture.

I'd take what simon says as more factual than not and leaning toward full truth based on his history

He Shirley is not Nostradamus and he doesn't have ESPN. But hes had some right calls before

Serious question - MG has only had one good season, correct? And he's going to be 27? I don't recall what he did in 2015 exactly but he was signed off the street in November and was on the PS until December when Karlos was hurt... I just remember in the Jets game he wasn't good.

His numbers last year were impressive (ypc and efficiency) but possibly may not be replicated, could be an outlier. Just saying.

I do like him though. Just worry that if they choose to match it will be based on emotion regarding the Pats vs using their heads.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Serious question - MG has only had one good season, correct? And he's going to be 27? I don't recall what he did in 2015 exactly but he was signed off the street in November and was on the PS until December when Karlos was hurt...

He had 5 good games in 15 when they picked him up (3 TDs, same YPC). He only played in three other games prior to that.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Serious question - MG has only had one good season, correct? And he's going to be 27? I don't recall what he did in 2015 exactly but he was signed off the street in November and was on the PS until December when Karlos was hurt...

His numbers last year were impressive (ypc and efficiency) but possibly may not be replicated, could be an outlier. Just saying.

Finally, someone said it.

GP 5 ATT 47 YDS 267 YPC 5.7 Lng 60 TD 3 FD 8 Fum1 FL 1

thanks that's not bad

It isn't but he had several big runs in 2015 that inflated his YPC, I also recalled against the Jets in 2015, the last game, he had 24 carries for like 28 yards.

Edited by Captain Murica

Serious question - MG has only had one good season, correct? And he's going to be 27? I don't recall what he did in 2015 exactly but he was signed off the street in November and was on the PS until December when Karlos was hurt... I just remember in the Jets game he wasn't good.

I do like him though. Just worry that if they choose to match it will be based on emotion regarding the Pats vs using their heads.

We don't yet know if the run blocking scheme will be completely/drastically changed yet either.

Is it possible that he wouldn't fit as well into a new run blocking scheme and be unable to repeat last season's performance anyway? I'd say yes.

We don't yet know if the run blocking scheme will be completely/drastically changed yet either.

Is it possible that he wouldn't fit as well into a new run blocking scheme and be unable to repeat last season's performance anyway? I'd say yes.

we touched on the new scheme yesterday and that's probably what is being debated behind the scenes too with the coaches on whether to match. I just hope they make the decision based on how to best build the Bills team and not the fact the Pats are involved and how it "looks". The latter doesn't matter imo, he will just get Blount's carries and they will be great regardless. I will be disappointed if they don't just elevate Jwill who they chose to draft for a reason, and draft another for this scheme in particular out of this loaded RB draft. There will even be good RBs who go undrafted. If they match I see it as "Same old Bills" overpaying for average talent. Sorry :(