Should the Bills move back in the draft to stockpile picks

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how the first 9 picks go. I don't believe in trading down just for the sake of it if there are still elite level players available. Now if the players available at 10 aren't graded much higher than guys projected to go later then absolutely try and trade down.

This is the correct answer.

TO MAKE A BLANKET STATEMENT WITHOUT knowing what players are available is foolish.

Also the correct answer.

Ideally yes. It's s deep draft in certain areas that would be helpful to the team (CB, WR, etc).

I agree unless Adams or Williams is there then stock them picks up.

No point for Whaley to get 2018 draft picks when he needs a stellar draft his year just to keep his job.

Thats the line of thinking that destroys franchises. Whaley shouldnt be drafting worrying about his job, he ahould be drafting based on the team. If he does the latter his job will be ok. When you start chasing glory then thats usually a terrible draft style.

Holy shnikees!?!? Who would have ever thought about moving back in the draft!?!?! That is a fantastic idea that has never been discussed here. I think you should start a thread about it!

After he starts a thread you should post in it that he started a thread that he shouldnt have started.

Holy shnikees!?!? Who would have ever thought about moving back in the draft!?!?! That is a fantastic idea that has never been discussed here. I think you should start a thread about it!

Why isn't it the message board police 🚨 "Hey, it's been discussed before...you can't discuss it anymore, it's against the rules!!" Get a life loser!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I don't have a problem with this. I think this year is going to be a down year anyway. The schedule looked tough and we did lose some talent. I have no issue with looking toward future years. That said, I am not really on board with the whole tanking idea.

Trade down to like 12-14, gain an extra 3rd. Then trade that pick and drop down to 20, and gain a 2nd.

Imagine having a top 20 pick, 2 seconds rd picks and 2 third rd picks. 5 picks in top 90 picks for dropping down 10 spots.

I like the sound of this

TO MAKE A BLANKET STATEMENT WITHOUT knowing what players are available is foolish.

I'd also have to know what offers I'm getting. There's always opportunity to trade away a draft pick for crappy value. Who's off the board? What am I getting? Which team is making the offer?

In my opinion it will not be a successful draft unless they do so. It's a deep draft. If you can keep moving down in Round 1 you'll still get a really good player in 1 but also more really good players in rounds 2, 3 and 4. I don't even care if there is a guy they really really really like. When you have the holes this team has you shouldn't fall in love with one player. I don't care HOW elite the guy is. Is 1 guy worth 3 good players? To me, only if it is a QB. Keep getting more good ones all atround the field!This team is dying for some depth (and youthful energy). Many prior drafts have failed or we've traded up rather than down. It just doesn't seem like a sustainable approach to have to fill over half the roster with free agents. They need more players. Almost everywhere! Trade down (if possible) and get them!

Edited by norton20

Trade down to like 12-14, gain an extra 3rd. Then trade that pick and drop down to 20, and gain a 2nd.

Imagine having a top 20 pick, 2 seconds rd picks and 2 third rd picks. 5 picks in top 90 picks for dropping down 10 spots.

Amen to this! Should have just quoted you rather than trying my own post.

everyone always talks in blanket statements about wanting to trade up or wanting to trade down. you're thinking about it wrong, it's all about the value you're getting for what you give up. talking about trading down without any sort of discussion of spesifics on what picks are being given/received is meaningless.

Trade down a few spots if you can get an additional 3rd round pick. Trade down 8-12 spots if you can get an additional 2nd round pick. Trade down to the bottom if tge 1st or top of 2nd if you can get an additiobal 3rd rounder this year plus a 1st rounder next yr (this would be my favorite scenario).

Take Watson or Mahomes in the 1st. If both are gone and we dont go QB, I want Corey Davis. In the 2nd round i want some secondary help. Desmond King (Iowa) and Marcus Maye (Florida) are 2 guys I like. King is a ballhawk.

If we dont go for a WR in the first 2 rounds my favorite round 3 candidates are ArDarius Stewart (Alabama), Cooper Kupp and Amara Darboh (Michigan). Stewart, a Greg Cosell favorite, has the ability to be a very good WR. Check out his tape on youtube. Very good after the catch. Kupp is strictly a slot WR, but I love his hands and change of direction.

My point is a trade down gives us another whack at picking up a solid player in round 2 or 3. There are so many players that I like in the draft, so I love the idea of getting an extra pick.

In my opinion it will not be a successful draft unless they do so. It's a deep draft. If you can keep moving down in Round 1 you'll still get a really good player in 1 but also more really good players in rounds 2, 3 and 4. I don't even care if there is a guy they really really really like. When you have the holes this team has you shouldn't fall in love with one player. I don't care HOW elite the guy is. Is 1 guy worth 3 good players? To me, only if it is a QB. Keep getting more good ones all atround the field!This team is dying for some depth (and youthful energy). Many prior drafts have failed or we've traded up rather than down. It just doesn't seem like a sustainable approach to have to fill over half the roster with free agents. They need more players. Almost everywhere! Trade down (if possible) and get them!

Good points, but, nothing to do with the OPs question. He is advocating trading picks this year for picks next year(s).

Good points, but, nothing to do with the OPs question. He is advocating trading picks this year for picks next year(s).

My bad. I favor trading picks this year for more picks this year. They only have 6 which is not enough for the holes they have. In a deep draft like this one, you can find quality with only slight gradations of difference in talent, for many of the rounds. Why get one guy if you can get more and fill more holes depth wise at least?

Yes., yes, yes....Do it twice. Get a good player in round 1 who can help right away. And, in this draft you want multiple round 2&3 picks because there is a lot of value .

But the actual question (in the fine print) is about gaining picks in 2018 to pick up a QB. That changes things, but I wonder how many people realized that before voting? Trading back is almost a no-brainier under most scenarios. For a QB next year? Tougher question. (But still a maybe!)

Edited by Augie

Trade back for picks this year? Absolutely.

Trade back for future picks? Absolutely not.

I would say....that all depends on the deal. For the right deal, I like more picks this year, AND I like another 1st in (supposedly) a better QB year. But you have to know both sides of the deal.

steve :) it depends. i would like to see them get an impact, immediate starter WR in the first round, if one is still on the board and they can trade down for an extra rd 2 pick then go for it, and pick up a QB and a safety in rd 2. but they need an immediate impact receiver or the draft is a failure for helping this season.

Edited by jethro_tull

steve :) it depends. i would like to see them get an impact, immediate starter WR in the first round, if one is still on the board and they can trade down for an extra rd 2 pick then go for it, and pick up a QB and a safety in rd 2. but they need an immediate impact receiver or the draft is a failure for helping this season.

I agree 100% about the need for WR, especially with Watkins being injury prone. Teams need to have at least two good WR's, especially if one gets injured.

This isn't Madden. You can't just say "I want to trade my pick" and then automatically make it happen, there has to be another team that is willing to trade up to take your pick, and pay the price you are asking for.

This isn't Madden. You can't just say "I want to trade my pick" and then automatically make it happen, there has to be another team that is willing to trade up to take your pick, and pay the price you are asking for.

Exactly, which is why these types of threads are ridiculous.

I voted no.

The team is playing for 2017 and you're asking a GM to get several higher picks right in this scenario versus one high pick.

I'd rather the Bills focus on getting #10 spot on with a guy who helps this year.

I'd feel different if they didn't resign Taylor, Alexander and Kyle Williams retired.

Belichek has traded down numerous times throughout the years and it's worked out great for the Patriots. Maybe you should tell Bill the NFL is not Madden.

Please cite some specifics of how it has "worked out great".

From my vantage point, what has worked out great is the throwaway 6th round pick on Tom Brady. I do not think that the Pats' drafts have been that great beyond Brady and Gronk.

Having the GOAT QB covers a LOT of weaknesses and Bellichick is THE master at finding players that aren't very good in other schemes and making them work - especially in his defense.

What NE has done well is trading picks in round n this year for picks a round earlier the following year (e.g. This year's (late) second for a first next year). How many fans and reporters (opinioners) would melt down on the Bills for such a deal? (They need help NOW, who will play THIS year? They will probably mess up the extra 1st next year anyway. But the drought...)

Really? Well thanks for pointing that out.

Do you really believe that the OP thinks the NFL draft works like an effin video game and that the Bills can trade down with the push of their wireless controller?

My bad. I favor trading picks this year for more picks this year. They only have 6 which is not enough for the holes they have. In a deep draft like this one, you can find quality with only slight gradations of difference in talent, for many of the rounds. Why get one guy if you can get more and fill more holes depth wise at least?

I'm right there with you.

This is a broad question imo, it will all depend who falls to us and there is always a player/players who fall for whatever reason. You don't just trade down to collect more picks when you get a top 5 value fall to you unless what you're getting is way to good to pass up. If we pass on a guy like Allen or Lattimore just to recoup our 4th rounder then it's a stupid idea, If we can manage to get a lower 1st but also get the teams 2nd in a deal then yes of course I'd be all for that.