For argument's sake on a Friday: McCaffery vs. Peppers

Ennjay

I've been reading a lot of critical pre-draft press lately about two guys who were bank-on-it First Rounders:

Christian McCaffrey is a wimp who lacks the muscle or speed to separate in the NFL.

Jabrill Peppers doesn't have an NFL defensive position and with his bad hands forget about him on offense.

So for the sake of argument: who gets drafted higher and has a better career? (I know that's two questions but gimme a break here.)

I say Peppers. He won't be a legit Pro Bowler but some D-coordinator and ST coach will find enough uses for him to stay in the league for years.

I don't view either one as a first rounder. Peppers doesn't have a position and McCaffery is a RB with some durability questions.

I think that McCaffery will be a flash in the pan. He'll sizzle for a season or two and the disappear.

I think that Peppers will have the longer, more impactful career, but, again, to me, not a first rounder.

I've been reading a lot of critical pre-draft press lately about two guys who were bank-on-it First Rounders:

Christian McCaffrey is a wimp who lacks the muscle or speed to separate in the NFL.

Jabrill Peppers doesn't have an NFL defensive position and with his bad hands forget about him on offense.

So for the sake of argument: who gets drafted higher and has a better career? (I know that's two questions but gimme a break here.)

I say Peppers. He won't be a legit Pro Bowler but some D-coordinator and ST coach will find enough uses for him to stay in the league for years.

.......funny how "wimps" like Metcalf (Terry in particular) and Meggett had productive careers in the NFL with similar size.....same goes for current players Sproules and Woodhead......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I think they will both be probowlers.

McCaffery is the best slot WR in the draft and also a great change of pace RB (has a jump cut similar to Shady). I think he will be a mix of Sproles and Edelman at the next level. He already runs routes like a pro WR, best in the draft at route running. He might even end up being a better WR than Williams and Davis. Who cares what his bench press was?

Peppers is going to play multiple positions in the secondary. His versatility will make him invaluable. He is the perfect player to defend these offenses that split TEs out wide. He can play a hybrid S/LB/CB role.

Both guys could end up being probowl special teams players.

I strongly disagree with people that do not like these guys.

I don't view either one as a first rounder. Peppers doesn't have a position and McCaffery is a RB with some durability questions.

I think that McCaffery will be a flash in the pan. He'll sizzle for a season or two and the disappear.

I think that Peppers will have the longer, more impactful career, but, again, to me, not a first rounder.

I will be surprised if either are available at pick 20.

I see no reasons why McCaffery can't succeed as a 3rd down back/slot receiver in the pros. Sure he's a bit too small to be an exclusive, every down running back, but I don't think any team considering drafting him expects him to play that role. I see him as more of a sure thing than Peppers. Getting closer to the draft, I am seeing more and more reports on his negatives, which some of you have already pointed out. Seems like Peppers best fit in the NFL is at safety, but even at S there are concerns.

Totally agree with everything

I think both will have productive careers, Peppers will be better because he doesn't have to depend on others as much.

McCaffrey has been compared to Reggie Bush, which isn't bad if you're referring to Reggie Bush years ago.

McCaffrey better not end up in NE or I'm going to throw something at the TV. I think Peppers can be productive if they use him like Polamalu in Pittsburgh all of those years. The guy just makes plays. If you think he's going to sit back there like a safety and try and play centerfield then you don't get what he's about

MCCaffery had the second best three-cone drill time in the last ten years of the combine. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, he will be a good player. Are people aware that his grandfather, Dave Sime, was the fastest person in the entire world in the mid-late 1950s?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Sime

"During his career, he held world records at 100 yards, 220 yards, and the 220 yd low hurdles."

Edited by dave mcbride

MCCaffery had the second best three-cone drill time in the last ten years of the combine. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, he will be a good player. Are people aware that his grandfather, Dave Sime, was the fastest person in the entire world in the mid-late 1950s?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Sime

"During his career, he held world records at 100 yards, 220 yards, and the 220 yd low hurdles."

The kid's got good family gene's from an athletic and intelligence standpoint.

As some others have stated he would be a typical out of the box pick that the Patriots would make. Because of durability concerns I don't see him as a bulk runner but as a player involved in the short passing game including swing passes and getting him in space with his instincts he would be a dynamite player.

Why did you have to say that. That is worst case scenario. I like McCaffrey and look forward to watching him on Sundays. But I will hate him if he is a Patriot*

I'm a Bills fan, of course. Thoughts like this are part of the indoctrination.

Wimp, try again :doh: