Anyone get an email from the commish?

Received this today:

View in browser

March 22, 2017 NFL

Dear Fans,

Here at the NFL, we have a relentless drive to improveparticularly when it comes to the way fans experience our game.

In order to understand how we might deliver a better and more exciting entertainment experience for you, we embarked on a specific project before the start of the 2016 season to gather feedback about the in-stadium and live NFL game viewing experience.

Consistently, we heard from fans that we can improve in two key areas: the flow and pace of the game, and commercialization and the number of unnecessary disruptions to the game on the field.

Today, I want to tell you about some of the ways we are working to address that.

On the football side, there are a number of changes we are making to the mechanics and rules of the game to maintain excitement and also improve the consistency of our officiating.

For example, next week clubs will vote on a change to centralize replay reviews. Instead of a fixed sideline monitor, we will bring a tablet to the Referee who can review the play in consultation with our officiating headquarters in New York, which has the final decision. This should improve consistency and accuracy of decisions and help speed up the process.

Regarding game timing, we're going to institute a play clock following the extra point when television does not take a break, and we're considering instituting a play clock after a touchdown. We're also going to standardize the starting of the clock after a runner goes out-of-bounds, and standardize halftime lengths in all games, so we return to the action as quickly as possible. Those are just a few of the elements we are working on to improve the pace of our game.

Together with our broadcast partners, we will be working to meaningfully reduce down time and the frequency of commercial breaks in our game. We will also be giving our broadcast partners increased flexibility to avoid untimely breaks in the action. For example, we know how annoying it is when we come back from a commercial break, kick off, and then cut to a commercial again. I hate that too. Our goal is to eliminate it.

We also know that you feel there are too many elements in the broadcast that aren't relevant to the play on the field. With our partners, we will be looking to instead focus on content that is most complementary and compelling to youwhether that is analysis, highlights or stories about our players.

All of these changes are meant to give you more of what you want: a competitive game with fewer interruptions and distractions from the action.

There is much more work to do in the coming seasons as we continue to listen and learn. But these positive changes are intended to create a better experience for you, our fans.

We hope that you will continue to give us feedback on how we can improve.

Thank you for all that you do for our players, our teams and our game.

Roger Goodell

This will be great if he's actually trying to get rid of extra commercials. A lot of this is just damage control for the tanking ratings, but I think it will help clearing commercials and fixing the refereeing issues. I especially like the tablet idea with a link to central command.

I've been saying this a few years, but they need to find a way to advertise on the side of the field, like soccer or hockey does, or find a way to run advertising during the game, like small little adds in the corner of your screen. I'd prefer that over going to commercial after every kick and timeout.

I heard about these changes a while ago, but this is the first "official" recognition of this. Funny how they put it like they care about the "fan experience", more like ratings plummeted and attendance has been on a steady decline. Let's call it what it is: damage control.

And no I didn't receive this email.... but I don't make a habit out of sharing my email address either.

I've been saying this a few years, but they need to find a way to advertise on the side of the field, like soccer or hockey does, or find a way to run advertising during the game, like small little adds in the corner of your screen. I'd prefer that over going to commercial after every kick and timeout.

I'm surprised they haven't done the virtual ads on the field similar to what hockey has behind the goals on the glass.

The "Mish"... It's what I call him, the Mish and I were having lunch a few weeks ago when he talked about this. He said "Beef (that's me), we need to keep the game flowing while not losing actual commercial time."

Long story short the Mish and I talked and and came up with this. That is why I didn't get my email.

The "Mish"... It's what I call him, the Mish and I were having lunch a few weeks ago when he talked about this. He said "Beef (that's me), we need to keep the game flowing while not losing actual commercial time."

Long story short the Mish and I talked and and came up with this. That is why I didn't get my email.

Did "the Mish" have booze for lunch when he came up with this?

Received this today:

View in browser

March 22, 2017 NFL

Dear Fans,

Here at the NFL, we have a relentless drive to improveparticularly when it comes to the way fans experience our game.

In order to understand how we might deliver a better and more exciting entertainment experience for you, we embarked on a specific project before the start of the 2016 season to gather feedback about the in-stadium and live NFL game viewing experience.

Consistently, we heard from fans that we can improve in two key areas: the flow and pace of the game, and commercialization and the number of unnecessary disruptions to the game on the field.

Today, I want to tell you about some of the ways we are working to address that.

On the football side, there are a number of changes we are making to the mechanics and rules of the game to maintain excitement and also improve the consistency of our officiating.

For example, next week clubs will vote on a change to centralize replay reviews. Instead of a fixed sideline monitor, we will bring a tablet to the Referee who can review the play in consultation with our officiating headquarters in New York, which has the final decision. This should improve consistency and accuracy of decisions and help speed up the process.

Regarding game timing, we're going to institute a play clock following the extra point when television does not take a break, and we're considering instituting a play clock after a touchdown. We're also going to standardize the starting of the clock after a runner goes out-of-bounds, and standardize halftime lengths in all games, so we return to the action as quickly as possible. Those are just a few of the elements we are working on to improve the pace of our game.

Together with our broadcast partners, we will be working to meaningfully reduce down time and the frequency of commercial breaks in our game. We will also be giving our broadcast partners increased flexibility to avoid untimely breaks in the action. For example, we know how annoying it is when we come back from a commercial break, kick off, and then cut to a commercial again. I hate that too. Our goal is to eliminate it.

We also know that you feel there are too many elements in the broadcast that aren't relevant to the play on the field. With our partners, we will be looking to instead focus on content that is most complementary and compelling to youwhether that is analysis, highlights or stories about our players.

All of these changes are meant to give you more of what you want: a competitive game with fewer interruptions and distractions from the action.

There is much more work to do in the coming seasons as we continue to listen and learn. But these positive changes are intended to create a better experience for you, our fans.

We hope that you will continue to give us feedback on how we can improve.

Thank you for all that you do for our players, our teams and our game.

Roger Goodell

This will be great if he's actually trying to get rid of extra commercials. A lot of this is just damage control for the tanking ratings, but I think it will help clearing commercials and fixing the refereeing issues. I especially like the tablet idea with a link to central command.

Yes I rec'd it.

The replay stuff is a strong move forward.

"He" can't get rid of commercials. The number and frequency were negotiated by the owners and the networks. They are contractual. The may try to group them together for longer commercial breaks, but the commercials are paid for and unless the owners are going to give contract money back to the networks (and therefore advertisers), the amount of commercial time won't change.

As for "tanking ratings", 5 of the top 10 single broadcasts were NFL broadcasts in 2016. Also, the much maligned TNF was a top 10 "regularly scheduled" broadcast last year, beating out MNF. But everyone hates TNF right?

Or do what the Indy 500 does with a commercial running with the race on split screen.

Only 6.4 million people watched the Indy 500. So ad time was probably dirt cheap and advertisers don't care if they are a background screen banner or spilt screen. Plus it's just cars driving in circles, so there is no real action to interrupt with commercials. If they were paying what they do for an NFL game (or the SB, for the Indy car event equivalent), no way they would settle for anything but full commercial breaks.

Edited by Mr. WEO

thank you for everything you do!