Bills tried to sign RT Ricky Wagner; headed to Lions

Not really.

Gilmore is apparently talking in the $13M AAV range, while we have reports that Wagner is going to "blow up" the RT market. Maybe these reports aren't considering Lane Johnson's deal because he's the eventual heir-apparent to Jason Peters at LT, but if I'm Wagner's agent I sure would be...so we're probably talking in the $11M AAV range for Wagner.

And in my plan of signing the type of guys I mention, this team has more than enough cap space to bring in impact FAs at positions of need.

Gilmore will start at $14m/yr

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say RT should the FA priority. A need for us and a terrible tackle draft class.

I did not think we would be able to afford Wagner. Interesting. Keep building that line Buffalo. You are gonna need to put a rookie QB behind it pretty soon.

I did say RT should the FA priority. A need for us and a terrible tackle draft class.

I did not think we would be able to afford Wagner. Interesting. Keep building that line Buffalo. You are gonna need to put a rookie QB behind it pretty soon.

this is probably the thought process, regardless of whether they hang on to TT for now. Follow the Dallas model. Edited by YoloinOhio

They probably also feel that if they solidify the RT spot, they gain flexibility at the QB position (i.e., they can go with someone who is more of a statue than Tyrod)...

Yeah this adds some heat to the smoke that none of them are sold on Tyrod.

Their line issues have been greatly masked by Tyrod.

Mills was gawdawful at RT.......any other QB this side of Russell Wilson would have ended up on IR with all the free-runs he gave at Taylor DESPITE defenses being cautious of him breaking contain.

Between Wood and Wagner........two guys they don't need with Tyrod at QB.........that's probably $12M to $15M in cap space they will have to keep on the books to have any hope of propping-up Cardale/rookie/older statue.

Sure, it's all assumption at this point...maybe I'm overconfident, but I like my chances of finding a Garcia/Roderick Johnson/Taylor Moton type that I can groom into a serviceable RT enough not to worry about it.

I think Morton ends up at guard. His feet are too slow for tackle.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If true this is just terrible, Whaley will go down to be the worst GM here, no doubt about it.

I have my issues with Whaley but this would not be one of them. Do you have any reasoning for your opinion?

If true this is just terrible, Whaley will go down to be the worst GM here, no doubt about it.

Exactly, tired of Whaley trying to improve this team.....shouldn't we be trying for better draft picks EVERY year?

How does improving a position of great weakness and emulating the very successful philosophies of Dallas and Oakland make him a bad GM in this case? I would have thought people would find it refreshing to see him look at success stories around the league and try to replicate that mode of success. A little of a break from his ordinary MO

I'm going to disagree because it seems like you're using general philosophies to address specific issues. I don't think you're accounting for the shift in how defenses are keying on weak RT play and shifting strong pass rushers to the right. you can't just get by with a good LT and a serviceable RT anymore imo. Also, there is no problem drafting for need when the draft lines up with your needs. If this were a weak CB, S class then yes, I would be clamoring to sign those positions as FA, but it's not. We can fill positions of need with the strength of this draft. I'd rather have Lattimore/Baker than Bethea/Verner

That's not new and offenses typically use the TE/RB to provide help on the strong side.

It's generally as effective or more as leaving a good LT one-on-one and it's not like the Bills are going to be 5 wide.......they will have a good blocking TE and probably even FB to chip.

See Hughes struggles to get the same heat last year while being chipped and doubled.

It's a luxury move to be paying both Tackles upwards of $10M......it just is.

:lol: I love the optimism. This would be a good signing for us. It would also be one less position of "need" heading into the draft. Turrible move by Dug, juss turrible ~ Charles Barkley voice. :lol:

Wagner was my top UFA for the Bills based on needs and performance. Yet felt if we kept Tyrod/Gilmore he wouldn't fit in financially. Personally I'd love to have him as fills a need with a developing talent and make us focus on other positions in the draft. As eluded this draft is strong in the secondary and WR and weak at OL so it be wise to sign a guy like Wagner.

John Murphy show floated the idea of Eric wood getting cut and replace with Groy if they can get Wagner. It was a "don't be surprised if this happens"...

I could get behind this, although I am sure Incognito may not like his buddy leaving, but Groy filled in and did a good job last year.

He spends a 2nd on Koundjio and lower end picks (7th on Henderson), he can't even shore up the easier side of the OL which is RT and some of you think it's a good move spending Cordy Glenn type of money on the non blind side?

It has nothing to do with optimism, I'm not a fan of Whaley and think were a sinking ship with him, I try to be positive with him but he looks like the next Donahue or worse, sorry if others don't see it. Were headed for major cap implications down the road because he's so terrible at drafting. I still love the Bills I just hate the GM :thumbsup: