Bills tried to sign RT Ricky Wagner; headed to Lions

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find this to be a big mistake.

I think Wagner is good, but paying big money for a RT is ill-advised IMO.

The league has shifted the last couple of years. Teams always used to line up their best pass rusher on the blindside, but recently teams have realized the difference in quality between the RT and LT and started putting guys like Von Miller and Mack on the right side. Wagner was graded out as the best RT in football by PFF in 2014, his play declined a little bit the last couple of seasons, but he's a dramatic upgrade over Mills and it's an important position for us if we want to keep with a run oriented offense. This draft is deep on WR talent, but not on olinemen, it would represent a significant investment in our OLine, but put us among the best in the league and hopefully allow some drafted receivers / under the radar FAs to come in and shine.

Kujo or Henderson would be gone. Mills out too. Then probably a street guy or two in camp.

Keep Kujo, he's cheap, if Wagner goes down you can swing Glenn to RT and Kujo at LT. Henderson can't be relied on. There's a reason we found Mills on the street in the middle of the season.

That would be two Whaley picks and a Whaley FA all gone? Not to start any trouble, but that's not a good look.

one of the picks was a 7th rounder, so that's not a big deal. This happens to every team. The Kujo pick will look bad if he's gone this year. If he's still on his rookie deal, he'll have a chance to stick around.

The league has shifted the last couple of years. Teams always used to line up their best pass rusher on the blindside, but recently teams have realized the difference in quality between the RT and LT and started putting guys like Von Miller and Mack on the right side. Wagner was graded out as the best RT in football by PFF in 2014, his play declined a little bit the last couple of seasons, but he's a dramatic upgrade over Mills and it's an important position for us if we want to keep with a run oriented offense. This draft is deep on WR talent, but not on olinemen, it would represent a significant investment in our OLine, but put us among the best in the league and hopefully allow some drafted receivers / under the radar FAs to come in and shine.

I don't disagree with any of that.

My point is more along the lines of it being a poor investment in the broader scope of team-building.

Vis-a-vis: if Wagner is indeed poised to blow up the RT market, then he could be looking at the kind of money that Lane Johnson got last year ($11M AAV). Given that RTs are found in the mid and late rounds on a regular basis, why pay that kind of money to a RT while letting a much more important position (Gilmore) walk out the door?

It doesn't make sense to me.

one of the picks was a 7th rounder, so that's not a big deal. This happens to every team. The Kujo pick will look bad if he's gone this year. If he's still on his rookie deal, he'll have a chance to stick around.

I think Kujo stays this year as Cordy's backup. When he is a FA next year, he walks. He's a LT only imo.

Keep Kujo, he's cheap, if Wagner goes down you can swing Glenn to RT and Kujo at LT. Henderson can't be relied on. There's a reason we found Mills on the street in the middle of the season.

exactly , good points, Kujo played well in relief of Glenn

That would be two Whaley picks and a Whaley FA all gone? Not to start any trouble, but that's not a good look.

kujo is still on the team and improving, henderson was a 7th round pick who was performing until his health issues and mills was a street fa pickup.

yea but sometimes t looks worst to do nothing to fix your mistakes just because you dont want to look like you made a mistake in the first place...we need to win now :)