Bills tried to sign RT Ricky Wagner; headed to Lions

I don't disagree with any of that.

My point is more along the lines of it being a poor investment in the broader scope of team-building.

Vis-a-vis: if Wagner is indeed poised to blow up the RT market, then he could be looking at the kind of money that Lane Johnson got last year ($11M AAV). Given that RTs are found in the mid and late rounds on a regular basis, why pay that kind of money to a RT while letting a much more important position (Gilmore) walk out the door?

It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm been vocal about not being a fan of letting Gilmore walk, but it's water under the bridge at this point. I like targeting a guy like Wagner more than spending the same amount of money on 2-3 guys you are simply projecting into starting roles at other positions. The depth at DB in this draft, the lack of depth at OLine in this draft and the price difference between making Wagner the highest paid RT vs making Gilmore the highest paid Corner make up for some of the positional value swing IMO.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is more along the lines of it being a poor investment in the broader scope of team-building.

Vis-a-vis: if Wagner is indeed poised to blow up the RT market, then he could be looking at the kind of money that Lane Johnson got last year ($11M AAV). Given that RTs are found in the mid and late rounds on a regular basis, why pay that kind of money to a RT while letting a much more important position (Gilmore) walk out the door?

I agree 100 percent, and you know how much I love Gilmore, can I put Bouye's name here!? This move makes sense if you have Romo in tow or ......Glennon. A high priced oline protecting a QB who can't pass from the pocket and around and around weeeeeeee go.

Hard to say one position is more valuable than any other, but offensive tackle is an area that you can't hide a weak player. It's extremely important. I shouldn't really even have to mention that.

I agree 100 percent, and you know how much I love Gilmore, can I put Bouye's name here!? This move makes sense if you have Romo in tow or ......Glennon. A high priced oline protecting a QB who can't pass from the pocket and around and around weeeeeeee go.

Wagner has ties to Dennison, Bouye has no ties to our coaching staff. This isn't Madden, considering our status in regards to contending and our inability to blow up the corner market due to cap considerations, Bouye is not a player we can realistically plan to pursue.

might pay big $$ for this guy due to weak OL draft this year....plus the obvious connection to Dennison

Agreed, this is a deep draft for S and CB probably just spending where it will be more difficult to plug holes in the draft.

I'm been vocal about not being a fan of letting Gilmore walk, but it's water under the bridge at this point. I like targeting a guy like Wagner more than spending the same amount of money on 2-3 guys you are simply projecting into starting roles at other positions. The depth at DB in this draft, the lack of depth at OLine in this draft and the price difference between making Wagner the highest paid RT vs making Gilmore the highest paid Corner make up for some of the positional value swing IMO.

Your point is not lost on me, and I don't dismiss its validity.

Where I get stuck is that I can probably find a lower-cost fix at RT (be in Vollmer as a cap casualty, Glenn [if Kouandjuio kicks to LT], or even a guy like Roderick Johnson on day 2 of the draft), and I'd prefer to do that and keep Zach Brown than spend a lot of money at RT.

I suppose it's wrought from the idea that having to pay big money to plug non-premium holes like RT and TE has long been an issue for this team. If I'm going to pay big FA money, I want it to be a pass rusher, CB, or elite LB.

Just a different philosophy from you is all.

Hard to say one position is more valuable than any other, but offensive tackle is an area that you can't hide a weak player. It's extremely important. I shouldn't really even have to mention that.

And yet this team has lead the NFL in rushing 2 consecutive years, and had the #10 scoring offense despite a truly horrific RT situation.

With this news and the news about the Pro Bowl FB, I think the Bills finally made their decision. They will keep Tyrod and focus on a strong running game again. It makes too much sense.

and draft defense

Your point is not lost on me, and I don't dismiss its validity.

Where I get stuck is that I can probably find a lower-cost fix at RT (be in Vollmer as a cap casualty, Glenn [if Kouandjuio kicks to LT], or even a guy like Roderick Johnson on day 2 of the draft), and I'd prefer to do that and keep Zach Brown than spend a lot of money at RT.

I suppose it's wrought from the idea that having to pay big money to plug non-premium holes like RT and TE has long been an issue for this team. If I'm going to pay big FA money, I want it to be a pass rusher, CB, or elite LB.

Just a different philosophy from you is all.

We've been quite poor at that position for years. The draft is strong on CB, LB, S, DL. Why would you force yourself to use a pick on a RT with only 6 picks in this admittedly deep draft. You can't run an offense with a porous Oline. How many of our runs to the right HAD to involve a pulling guard because we had to compensate for Mills?

Really like the player, really like that it would point to passing more. Not sure he's worth the investment because I could easily see him getting $8-10 million a year on the open market.

Only hope is that he loves Castillo and wants to keep playing for him. Might take a slight discount to do so.

We've been quite poor at that position for years. The draft is strong on CB, LB, S, DL. Why would you force yourself to use a pick on a RT with only 6 picks in this admittedly deep draft. You can't run an offense with a porous Oline. How many of our runs to the right HAD to involve a pulling guard because we had to compensate for Mills?

Yep- OT market is very thin both in FA and draft, while CB market is very strong on both.

I think Kujo stays this year as Cordy's backup. When he is a FA next year, he walks. He's a LT only imo.

I can see a trade with the Chargers. Lynn knows he's a capable LT. R3 pick?

And yet this team has lead the NFL in rushing 2 consecutive years, and had the #10 scoring offense despite a truly horrific RT situation.

but you want to pay a CB $12+ million who was a starter on a incredibly poor defense. We would be improving our offense, maybe not have our QB get hit so often. Maybe be able to open up the passing game by having one of the highest rated pass blocking tackles on the team. Gilmore is gone, he's too expensive.

Yep- OT market is very thin both in FA and draft, while CB market is very strong on both.

Yup. We can literally revamp our entire secondary with this draft alone if we play it right. Perfect year for us in that respect as the talent supply matches our need.