Bills tried to sign RT Ricky Wagner; headed to Lions

I like mid-round picks for anything every year.

I know it's a long thread, but I've already discussed my draft/FA philosophy here. In short: fill needs in FA as fiscally-efficiently as you can without assuming you'll be able to fill them in the draft, then draft the best players at key positions without worrying about filling needs.

Yes, I understand your general philosophy, but I think every year is different. What would be your plan at RT then this year?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I understand your general philosophy, but I think every year is different. What would be your plan at RT then this year?

I'm of 3 minds:

1) kick the tires on a vet like Vollmer to see what he's got left

2) look for a guy like Garcia or Roderick Johnson in R3

3) if all else fails, move Glenn to RT and Kouandjio to LT

just hear the 9 mill number on sirius. i don't even know what to say to that. i think i just need to finally come to terms with the idea that value for every position just seems to make a leap every year.

It's called inflation. Cap goes up, salaries go up.

Lol.

This has worked out so well the past 18 years hasn't it?

even with the revolving door at RT,we've led the league in rushing,right? That's "worked out well",if not stellar.wouldn't you agree to that?

I'm of 3 minds:

^^^this is the plan to follow,no doubt

If you treat the draft like an ongoing roster strengthening process rather than an annual event to patch holes then it is not that different than the year before.

You need to fill those critical positions.....the ones that also garner crazy money......or are impossible to fill with quality in free agency.

QB, pass rusher, playmakers in the passing game, CB.......those are your critical position needs in the NFL now.

The rest you have to be able to fill around.

just hear the 9 mill number on sirius. i don't even know what to say to that. i think i just need to finally come to terms with the idea that value for every position just seems to make a leap every year.

Plus the salary cap has been increasing by close to $10M a year for last couple of years....salaries have to go up accordingly

I'm of 3 minds:

1.) I'am actually a huge Vollmer fan, but he's injury riddled of late. Can we get him cheap after he missed all of last year? If so, good choice

2.) As much as I would normally agree with this, not this year. I'd rather have a vet that can step in and perform well from the go.

3.) I've felt like this at times, but wouldn't they have done it by now if they were going to?

If you treat the draft like an ongoing roster strengthening process rather than an annual event to patch holes then it is not that different than the year before.

You need to fill those critical positions.....the ones that also garner crazy money......or are impossible to fill with quality in free agency.

QB, pass rusher, playmakers in the passing game, CB.......those are your critical position needs in the NFL now.

The rest you have to be able to fill around.

Could you make the argument that every SB team in the NFL in the last 10 years have had a very good player at 3/4 of those positions? I think you could.

I'm of 3 minds:

#3 is interesting, I wonder if it's even a possibility... Would Glenn go for it?

I'm of 3 minds:

I'd bring Mills back before I reached over a better player for Garcia or Johnson......and barring a huge run on draft strengths I think there will be better DB's etc...........so I think I'd go 1) then 3).

Lol.

This has worked out so well the past 18 years hasn't it?

What, no being able to keep all of your FA players? That's the NFL. We all know that QB is what has held the Bills back for those 18 years or so, not a lack of FA signings or re-signings. It's just the way the league has set up its marketplace for labor, no team is immune. Tough decisions must be made. Why be the team that vastly overlays for Gilmore's services? By all accounts it's a very deep year for DBs in the draft. That means no need to waste the #10 pick on a replacement.

I'd bring Mills back before I reached over a better player for Garcia or Johnson......and barring a huge run on draft strengths I think there will be better DB's etc...........so I think I'd go 1) then 3).

That's probably where I am as well...mostly--assuming that 1) doesn't work out--I want a guy like Garcia/Johnson in the fold for when Kouandjio leaves in FA.

Seriously, that guy establishing enough FA value as a LT to bring in a R3 compensatory pick would almost make me forgive the FO for drafting him in the first place.

What, no being able to keep all of your FA players? That's the NFL. We all know that QB is what has held the Bills back for those 18 years or so, not a lack of FA signings or re-signings. It's just the way the league has set up its marketplace for labor, no team is immune. Tough decisions must be made. Why be the team that vastly overlays for Gilmore's services? By all accounts it's a very deep year for DBs in the draft. That means no need to waste the #10 pick on a replacement.

It's very likely no CB drafted will outplay Gilmore next season.

Edited by FireChan

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I can't wait to Gilmore gets exposed in Chicago.

Could you make the argument that every SB team in the NFL in the last 10 years have had a very good player at 3/4 of those positions? I think you could.

Yeah and for all the talk about how sh*tty the Bills roster is they are actually not that bad off at those key positions.......which I forgot to include LT in......which is why I am still optimistic.

Watkins and Dareus have All Pro potential.......Dareus actually has been All Pro even.

Glenn is a very good LT.

They are losing Gilmore.......but shifting scheme emphasis......and at least Darby has shown a glimpse of maybe being able to be oustanding so they aren't utterly bereft there.

If they had a top QB they'd be up there with anyone........but Tyrod ain't that bad!

That's probably where I am as well...mostly--assuming that 1) doesn't work out--I want a guy like Garcia/Johnson in the fold for when Kouandjio leaves in FA.

Seriously, that guy establishing enough FA value as a LT to bring in a R3 compensatory pick would almost make me forgive the FO for drafting him in the first place.

The worst news of the offseason so far may be grandma Cyrus breaking his hip........he actually looked GOOD at LT......or with that ridiculously rangy frame the most expensive cab ride around at least.

Gilmore has to be the worst CB tackler in the NFL. He is not a complete CB1 in the NFL. He is so inconsistent. At most he is a CB2. There are some very good CBs in this draft that can easily replace him. The question is will one of the top guys be there at #10 for us.

Gilmore has to be the worst CB tackler in the NFL. He is not a complete CB1 in the NFL. He is so inconsistent. At most he is a CB2. There are some very good CBs in this draft that can easily replace him. The question is will one of the top guys be there at #10 for us.

He's not.

What CB in the draft will outplay GIlmore this season? Please tell me.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Why would he get exposed in Chicago versus Buffalo?

I was listening to Sirius the other day when one of the analysts said Gilmore was good at everything, when he is literally one of the worst tackling corners in the NFL despite his size. Not to mention he was burned deep several times last season. He is going to get a lot more criticism nationally playing for Chicago when he throws a shoulder at a running back who is one yard beyond the line of scrimmage and then the running back goes for 40 yards. Or when he is not willing to put his head in there on a 3rd and 7 on a bubble screen where he has the tiny WR right in front of him and he half asses the tackle and the WR goes for 20.

Gilmore is not a good corner. He is above average-good in coverage, terrible at tackling and a poor teammate. Nothing is ever his fault. The way people build him up around here is ridiculous.

The worst news of the offseason so far may be grandma Cyrus breaking his hip........he actually looked GOOD at LT......or with that ridiculously rangy frame the most expensive cab ride around at least.

:lol:

He is a CB1 by every possible metric.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

He's not.

What CB in the draft will outplay GIlmore this season? Please tell me.

Marshon Lattimore for one.

I was listening to Sirius the other day when one of the analysts said Gilmore was good at everything, when he is literally one of the worst tackling corners in the NFL despite his size. Not to mention he was burned deep several times last season. He is going to get a lot more criticism nationally playing for Chicago when he throws a shoulder at a running back who is one yard beyond the line of scrimmage and then the running back goes for 40 yards. Or when he is not willing to put his head in there on a 3rd and 7 on a bubble screen where he has the tiny WR right in front of him and he half asses the tackle and the WR goes for 20.

Gilmore is not a good corner. He is above average-good in coverage, terrible at tackling and a poor teammate. Nothing is ever his fault. The way people build him up around here is ridiculous.

There's nothing to build up...

Try not being emotional about it and look at the numbers:

2016 Season

Gilmore: 69 targets, 40 receptions, 627 yards, 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 67.7 passer rating against, 42 solo tackles

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks: allowed 44 catches on 85 targets for 624 yards, two TDs, four INTs, 64.0 passer rating against, 38 solo tackles

No he's not. Besides, lots of great CB's aren't great tacklers.

CB's are paid to cover. Tackling is not their main job.

Gilmore's numbers speak for themselves, especially last season paired with a flat-out bad CB and horrific safeties. It's not like he had a lot of help.

Marshon Lattimore for one.

We will see. I like Lattimore, but I'm not sure aboyt him playing at a top 10 level.

Gilmore's numbers speak for themselves, especially last season paired with a flat-out bad CB and horrific safeties. It's not like he had a lot of help.

We will see. I like Lattimore, but I'm not sure aboyt him playing at a top 10 level.

Deion was a horrible tackler. I've seen Sherman wiff a bunch of times.

The only great CB tackler I can think of is Revis.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Dude, I am sorry but Gilmore costs this team games with his unwillingness to tackle. Flat out, the guy is a kitty. He has the size and ability, but he isn't willing to stick his head in there and make a form tackle. When you have a 3rd and 7 on the opening drive of the home opener against the Jets, they run a bubble screen, Gilmore is right there for the tackle, doesn't put in the effort and the guy gets and easy first down, that is unacceptable. That play was right in front of me about 30 rows up. All he had to do is put in a little effort and slow the WR down and the linebackers would have got there. He was too much of a kitty to make the attempt.

When it's you and the running back and he catches the ball with no momentum, you are right there to make a tackle and you throw a shoulder, that is unacceptable. The running back runs for 40 because you decided to puss out.

When you get burned deep by a slow receiver and turn around before the receiver is in the end zone looking for a teammate to blame, that is unacceptable. Good riddance to Gilmore, we will be better with someone who is isn't as talented but is willing to play a complete game and not blame his teammates when he !@#$s up.

Mark my words, whoever signs him will be talking about cutting him in 2-3 years, the next Jarius Byrd.

Deion was a horrible tackler. I've seen Sherman wiff a bunch of times.

The only great CB tackler I can think of is Revis.

I think Revis island set up unreasonable expectations for Gilmore here in Buffalo. We looked at him like our very own island and expected him to carry the team, and got outraged when he couldn't. I've had more than my fair share to say about Gilmore myself, but he's not nearly as bad as some people make him out to be. If we don't miss him next year it'll be due to a solid draft.

:lol:

He is a CB1 by every possible metric.

It's like talking to a wall at this point. He gets trucked by LeVeon Bell once and gets burnt deep in a scheme that left him with no safety help and there's no place in the league for him for a section of fans here.

Dude, I am sorry but Gilmore costs this team games with his unwillingness to tackle. Flat out, the guy is a kitty. He has the size and ability, but he isn't willing to stick his head in there and make a form tackle. When you have a 3rd and 7 on the opening drive of the home opener against the Jets, they run a bubble screen, Gilmore is right there for the tackle, doesn't put in the effort and the guy gets and easy first down, that is unacceptable. That play was right in front of me about 30 rows up. All he had to do is put in a little effort and slow the WR down and the linebackers would have got there. He was too much of a kitty to make the attempt.

When it's you and the running back and he catches the ball with no momentum, you are right there to make a tackle and you throw a shoulder, that is unacceptable. The running back runs for 40 because you decided to puss out.

When you get burned deep by a slow receiver and turn around before the receiver is in the end zone looking for a teammate to blame, that is unacceptable. Good riddance to Gilmore, we will be better with someone who is isn't as talented but is willing to play a complete game and not blame his teammates when he !@#$s up.

Mark my words, whoever signs him will be talking about cutting him in 2-3 years, the next Jarius Byrd.

Gilmore has made plenty of big hits and tackles in his career. I think you are stuck on the negatives a little too much.

Hogan ain't slow but looking back at a teammate was a bad look. But I think it did come out that the S screwed up on that play right?

I doubt it.